What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League clamps down on cannabis

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
sunny said:
Finally some common sense. The way some of these pot-pushers carry on about drug taking these days, you'd think every person in Australia did nothing but sit around and take take drugs all day with no side effects whatsoever, and that those that didn't take drugs were all no-lifers living in monasteries. Add that to their sanctimonious carry on about alcohol, and it's just a bloody insufferable mix.

who are the pot pushers?

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
Green Machine said:
No on the contrary, you got it horribly wrong:

True Blue
The Story of the NSW Rugby League
By Ian Heads

Rugby League administrators had to wrestle with problems once never contemplated. Widespread drug testing was now a costly but integral part of the game. One such test pitched the league, yet again, into the headlines after the tumultuous 1991 season had ended. In an exclusive story in The Sydney Morning Herald the journalist and former coach Roy Masters revealed the Penrith giant, one of the game’s highest-profile players, had tested positive to marijuana and had been suspended for eight games. Other league journalists had chosen not to write the story. The NSW Rugby League would neither confirm nor deny Masters’ report, but its appearance sparked yet another media debate as to whether the League should or should not be testing for a “recreational” drug such as marijuana.

What do you class as games? A World Club Challenge match, World 7’s matches, Pre Season Competition matches?

you obviousley don't like the bloke, which is fine, but whats your point? He got suspended and was then portayed as a 'drugo',something all players playing the game today have to be made aware of. Whether it's roids, ecstacy, coke or pot, it's all f**ken ILLEGAL so don't touch the sh*t.

Just one more point.

Pot from yesteryear was mainly grown in backyards or in the bush, today most of it is hydroponic, with chemicals in it to make an elephant squirm, but still we have dikf**ks saying how good it is.

Question? Ever seen an OLD (50+) drug user?

innsaneink

Referee
Funny how your attitudes change.
20 years ago I wouldve been very against this, today while Im not 100% for it, I see where the NRL are coming from, but I also think 2 years for a few cones would be totally wrong compared to what Gowie copped for arguments sake.
As was brought up in that argument, many feel he was punished lightly, Im one of them, but it shows the irregularity and disparity the games admins have when it comes to alcohol and other drugs.

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
20 years ago I wouldve been very against this, today while Im not 100% for it, I see where the NRL are coming from, but I also think 2 years for a few cones would be totally wrong compared to what Gowie copped for arguments sake.
As was brought up in that argument, many feel he was punished lightly, Im one of them, but it shows the irregularity and disparity the games admins have when it comes to alcohol and other drugs.

mate 20 years ago, they would of been mulling up, laughing at the prospect of making the players pot free leaving more for boys in HQ

Green Machine

First Grade
dontmakemeangry said:
you obviousley don't like the bloke, which is fine, but whats your point? He got suspended and was then portayed as a 'drugo',something all players playing the game today have to be made aware of. Whether it's roids, ecstacy, coke or pot, it's all f**ken ILLEGAL so don't touch the sh*t.

Just one more point.

Pot from yesteryear was mainly grown in backyards or in the bush, today most of it is hydroponic, with chemicals in it to make an elephant squirm, but still we have dikf**ks saying how good it is.

Question? Ever seen an OLD (50+) drug user?

You got it horribly wrong, again. I have not said that I dislike Mark Geyer. I have also seen the effects of guys who are 20 year cone heads. I am not that stupid to think today kids in their 20’s do not take ecstasy. I recon I high percentage would.

I was making the point that in Rugby League there one rule for the star player and one rule for the average player. Mark Geyer’s suspension was covered by the game’s administrators and was only uncovered when Roy Masters was tipped off. I think there is a huge hypocrisy in the game between a star and an average player. What about this:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/24/1079939719877.html?from=storyrhs

This was a great article by Peter Roebuck in this morning’s Herald about the over use of a legal drug:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/mobile-solution-to-silence-antisocial-louts/2006/01/31/1138590503149.html

Drugs (legal and illegal) are a part of our lives. It is either zero tolerance for all NRL players (including the stars) for all off field indiscretions, including social drugs and bad behaviour, or nothing at all.

simon says

First Grade
innsaneink said:

Great post Ink.....cant add to it,agree 100 percent.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
Green Machine said:
You got it horribly wrong, again. I have not said that I dislike Mark Geyer. I have also seen the effects of guys who are 20 year cone heads. I am not that stupid to think today kids in their 20’s do not take ecstasy. I recon I high percentage would.

I was making the point that in Rugby League there one rule for the star player and one rule for the average player. Mark Geyer’s suspension was covered by the game’s administrators and was only uncovered when Roy Masters was tipped off. I think there is a huge hypocrisy in the game between a star and an average player. What about this:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/24/1079939719877.html?from=storyrhs

This was a great article by Peter Roebuck in this morning’s Herald about the over use of a legal drug:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/mobile-solution-to-silence-antisocial-louts/2006/01/31/1138590503149.html

Drugs (legal and illegal) are a part of our lives. It is either zero tolerance for all NRL players (including the stars) for all off field indiscretions, including social drugs and bad behaviour, or nothing at all.

Fair enough.

Inept

Juniors
They need to do it to keep up government funding if i read correctly many pages ago.
What would u rather? A crack down on drugs or less money going into the game?
Mean while i dont think this will help the games image, if they go looking for it, they will find it, and suddenly our game has a pot problem. And for the sake of argument i think (no stats to back this up) that alcohol would be a bigger problem for league than pot.

Listen to "the irony of it all" by "the streets". Interesting comparrison of the legal and illegal drugs.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
and the award for "faking an injury so he can sit on his fat arse all day and PLAY on his computer" goes to cavity..............., i bet your the type of pill who has a disabled badge on his car as to park right near the shops entrance. I've ruptured discs pal, had a discectimy actually, but didn't need a disabled angle!!!!

mightybears

Bench
eelavation said:
I assume you mean while he was at Souths??...so you know for certain that other players were on it??

10 players failed a random drug test at souths in mid 1988, it was widely reported at the time-all the media-a big stink

the powers that be, in response to the media's need for a face to the headlines-gave up scott wilson [worry not that he was 17 and that 9 others got done as well].

as to whether it was dope, i can't remember/can't remember if they even specified publically stated what drugs were tested for.

scott wilson, unfortunately became the face of that particular drug/media beat up, and a lesson in how not to handle the issue generally for those in power that should have known better.

Meanie

Juniors
The problem here is people are confusing "The occasional toke" with "Full blown hardcore pot addiction". Thinking that if you have one toke, you're hooked for life forever. It's pot not heroin.

Like with any drug, and it's a point that some people are are just freaking blind too, MODERATION IS THE KEY. It's the same with fat foods for christ sake. And pot shouldn't be put into the heroin or cocaine category, those drugs are physically addictive, unlike pot which is psychologically addictive. And quite frankly, alcohol is a far bigger problem but whaddya know, lots of League's sponsors are booze companies so they don't treat it as harshly, hrmmmm coincidence??

If a zero tolerance policy is in place for pot, it should be in place for any drug including alcohol, otherwise it's just hypocritical.

Meanie

Juniors
Furthermore I'll put another question out there, how many marijuana related incidents (Aside from people testing positive for it) have league players been involved in compared to alcohol related incidents?

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
The NRL has the right to make players wear clown make-up, and if the teams/players don't like it, they can leave the NRL.

No drugs, whatsoever, should be allowed by players registered to the NRL.