What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League in the USA

WAPAU

Juniors
Does russel crowe push league in the states.

I remember about 10 years ago man united toured australia in the pre season and played the socceroo's. Pretty good tour for all involved.

Any chance crowe will take souths on a pre season tour to the usa?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Does russel crowe push league in the states.

I remember about 10 years ago man united toured australia in the pre season and played the socceroo's. Pretty good tour for all involved.

Any chance crowe will take souths on a pre season tour to the usa?

He mentions Souths a lot, never the local stuff though which is a real pity.

We have a few other big stars over there that follow Rugby League.

Simon Baker from the Mentalist is a Parramatta fan and Hugh Jackman is a Manly fan I think.

MattyCLark

Juniors
I know that some Americans see 'rugby' as a whole in this way, however the fact is that they are different sports. You playing RL in the summer and union in the winter is about as relevant as someone who plays baseball in summer and hockey in winter, or any two other sports where the seasons don't clash. If you play both and enjoy both then great, but ultimately the wider public need to realise that RL and RU are completely different, unrelated sports.

HOMER-I understand where your are coming from. But, we as Americans never went through the Union/League battles to hate one over the other. I use each to better the other. ie. ball handling, fittness, tackleing and feild awearness. Granted the codes are differant the basic rugby exists in both (move the ball forward by running or kicking and don't drop it)

I personally like Union and League. And both have there dramas in the states. But its the comradely that sells the sport in the USA. I tell people all the time you can go anywhere in the USA or the world and play rugby. It helps to know both codes

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
I guess it would be like teaching Australians Canadian Football.

Most of us have a slight understanding of American Football, so you would start with that and then add in the changes.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I guess it would be like teaching Australians Canadian Football.

Most of us have a slight understanding of American Football, so you would start with that and then add in the changes.
It's absolutely nothing at all like that. RL is probably more similar to American Football than RU.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
I disagree.

The two rugby codes are more similar to each other then American Football is to either. Thus the high number of people who have played both games professionally.

I know there isn't anywhere near those numbers of players playing one of the rugby codes and then playing American Football or the other way around at the highest level.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I disagree.

The two rugby codes are more similar to each other then American Football is to either. Thus the high number of people who have played both games professionally.

I know there isn't anywhere near those numbers of players playing one of the rugby codes and then playing American Football or the other way around at the highest level.
That's probably more to do with the fact that RL isn't a professional sport in America and American Football isn't a professional sport outside of America. Either way, your example regarding Canadian football is completely inaccurate. You see a game of Canadian Football and a game of American football, and you would have to watch for a while to realise they were different. You see a game of RL and a game of RU, and it's obvious pretty much straight away that they are different sports. I would say a better comparison for RL and RU would be boxing and MMA - the basic principles are the same, people can cross over between them but it's obvious to anyone that they are clearly different. Teaching people RU and then changing the rules to make it into RL would just be stupid and a complete and utter waste of time. Just teach people RL, it's a much more accessible sport anyway.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
Spinner, how long do you foresee it taking until you can move away from relying on Union players and extending your season back into the spring?
I'd like to answer this question if I may. I think league can stop relying on Union players and extend their season once the first trained generation of born-and-bred Americans come of age. I'm talking about the middle schoolers that are now learning the game in the USARL-driven American Youth Rugby League Association. I for one wish it were sooner, and maybe it will be. The AMNRL is doing some work with colleges in the Mid-West, and British Columbia Rugby League will be launching a number of programs at colleges on Canada's west coast in the spring of 2012. I think it would be very difficult to ask players to leave union for league. League may be the better game, but union is a very club-oriented sported. By that I mean, many clubs, even in small towns, have clubhouses and have a very social atmosphere about them. It would be very difficult for players to leave something that has provided them with more than just the game and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to stay. Rugby union is probably the most social of all sports in North America, more so than even hockey in Canada or football in the United States.

Last edited:

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
That's probably more to do with the fact that RL isn't a professional sport in America and American Football isn't a professional sport outside of America. Either way, your example regarding Canadian football is completely inaccurate. You see a game of Canadian Football and a game of American football, and you would have to watch for a while to realise they were different. You see a game of RL and a game of RU, and it's obvious pretty much straight away that they are different sports. I would say a better comparison for RL and RU would be boxing and MMA - the basic principles are the same, people can cross over between them but it's obvious to anyone that they are clearly different. Teaching people RU and then changing the rules to make it into RL would just be stupid and a complete and utter waste of time. Just teach people RL, it's a much more accessible sport anyway.

Two things.

1. I noticed pretty quickly that the fight I am watching is MMA and not boxing.

2. I didn't say to teach them Union and change it into Union nor did I say that to teach Australians Canadian Football we should teach them American Football and then change the rules.

What I said was that they could use Rugby Union (or Canadian Football) as a starting point in their minds. If someone doesn't know what Rugby League is, they can say "its like this" but with these major differences. Same that can be said with Canadian/American Football.

I accept your other points though.

I have to agree with that. Whenever I talk to people about rugby league, and I do that on a daily basis, I tell them it is like football without the huddles.

You also live in Canada, where I am guessing that American/Canadian football is more known then Rugby Union.

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
You also live in Canada, where I am guessing that American/Canadian football is more known then Rugby Union.
After telling people it is like football I also say "This isn't rugby union which is the sport you are familiar with, it's rugby league. Its a different sport." Also adding "In rugby union when a player is tackled he must release the ball. In rugby league when a player is tackled he gets up, puts the ball on the ground and rolls it back with his foot (here I show them physically) to another player and play begins again." I then talk to them about six tackles etc. and explain that the game is a lot more exciting than rugby union and in my opinion "could be the next great sport in North America."

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
It could be. Visual aid is also very important, I'm glad to hear this.

Do you show potential new players/fans video of professional games to help also?

I was confused when I saw the USA was playing Australia and England (as they are currently in the Four Nations)
Had a good laugh when I found out that Australia was a team from Wollongong and England was the cops!
Watch for more fake crowds from the USA as well!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I was confused when I saw the USA was playing Australia and England (as they are currently in the Four Nations)
Had a good laugh when I found out that Australia was a team from Wollongong and England was the cops!
Watch for more fake crowds from the USA as well!

And yet that Wollongong team (helensburgh) would be more known than your precious Tomahawks :lol:

Ain't that the troof :oops: