What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League? Indeed! - New Footy Show on Youtube

Christmas Ape

Juniors
Hi All,

We've decided to have a crack at putting together a rugby league show for 2011.
Our aim is to focus on talking footy but there will be a few light hearted bits thrown in.
The first episode is a bit rough around the edges, but you'll get the idea.

We'll be introducing new segments throughout the year and hopefully some viewer contributions as well.

Have a look and let us know what you reckon.

It's in 2 parts -

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/user/leagueindeed2011#p/a/u/1/leva3C9EsCQ
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/user/leagueindeed2011#p/a/u/0/DTVUwul1gaQ

It's in HD too if you're that way inclined. You can change the settings in the bottom right hand corner.

Christmas Ape

Juniors

Thanks Dragon!

Watching now.

Small problem though, I get no audio in the right headphone.

Not sure why that is. It seems to be working OK for me. I'll check it out.

Great work! Subscribed.

Thanks Applesauce!

[FKN-SIK];7181256 said:
A little bit dull but not too bad.

Tell the camel on the right to lose the chewing gum too

Thanks FKN. The chewy won't be there next week. I agree it's a bad look.

Can you guys do something about the game in WA on a future show?

Hi Goldfields. We're definitely going to do a WA segment. I'm trying to find out how to get access to the Reds for an interview. If anyone on here can help out, please let me know.
We'd love to do something on the Tooheys Cup too. Let me know if you'd like to get involved.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
well that wasted 10 mins of my time.

You guys are lucky its not a TV show, you would of been pulled off half way through the first episode.

maccattack

Juniors
Great work! Look forward to seeing more.

How regular do you plan for it to be?

I reckon you should do a 'Fans Voice' segment. Perhaps by tapping into the views of people here.

The fans are rarely heard, short of their being a fan representative on the independant commission, you might be able to offer an airing of the general concesus. Just a thought.

Keep it up!

babyg

Juniors
Change the music. less chewing and scrathing. otherwise great concept.

Loved the bit on the Refs. and the man in the pub.

Last edited:

MatthewA

Juniors
Great work, love it.

BUT... Loosen up ffs. Seem a bit slurred in the words, nervous and jittery. Don't be :) Relax, move the hands, change eye contact frequently between one another etc.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I watched Part 1.

I thought it was good.

I also had the sound problem (no sound fromt he right earphone).

Top work. It's nice to hear some honestly held opinions without wondering if there's a bigger agenda at play.

Christmas Ape

Juniors
Great work! Look forward to seeing more.

How regular do you plan for it to be?

I reckon you should do a 'Fans Voice' segment. Perhaps by tapping into the views of people here.

The fans are rarely heard, short of their being a fan representative on the independant commission, you might be able to offer an airing of the general concesus. Just a thought.

Keep it up!

Thanks Macattack. We're going to a show every week. It'll be up on YouTube every Thursday.
A fan's segment is on the cards for sure. Everyone's got a video camera these days so we'll be looking for fan submissions.

Change the music. less chewing and scrathing. otherwise great concept.

Thanks babyg. I was nervous as f**k, hence the scratching and chewing. I didn't even realise I was doing it until we watched it and by then it was too late to go back and do it over. I'll try not to do it next week.

Great work, love it.

BUT... Loosen up ffs. Seem a bit slurred in the words, nervous and jittery. Don't be :) Relax, move the hands, change eye contact frequently between one another etc.

Thanks Matthew. We were surprised how hard it was to talk into a camera, hence the nervousness. I'm sure we'll loosen up as we get used to it.

I watched Part 1.

I thought it was good.

I also had the sound problem (no sound fromt he right earphone).

Top work. It's nice to hear some honestly held opinions without wondering if there's a bigger agenda at play.

Thanks Ike!
Don't know what's up with the sound, I can't find a problem at the moment.
Rest assured we've got no agenda. Other than our own biases which we're trying desperately to hide at this stage.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
Yeah definitely need to chill out and relax a bit. You look a bit like zombies reading off something in one tone throughout the whole thing.

Doesn't have to be perfect. Just have a laugh.

I watch another one on youtube of a couple of guys I follow on twitter called "NOT the footy show". They are quite good too

wittyfan

Referee
I recall a similar Footy Show type video posted on here a few years ago where one of the guys always wore a white belt. :lol:

innsaneink

Referee
I recall a similar Footy Show type video posted on here a few years ago where one of the guys always wore a white belt. :lol:
Mightve been westie and his mates...they did something similar, didnt take notice of the attire

Good stuff ape, as mentioned, ditch the chewie, relax....not bad

clarency

Juniors
Constructive criticism (all my opinion) -

It's too long.
It's too long.
It's too long.

The optimum length of each episode would be max 4mins.

Don't do the major introduction and don't talk about what you'll be going through in the episode, that's what the title is for. If you must, stick to a intro sig (max 5-8 seconds) that says the channel name and/or host names, with RL footage so people (foreign) who randomly come across it can understand what's going on.

Confidence comes with time but charisma is the most valuable friend you'll need if you want to be successful. If you're having trouble memorizing lines and whatnot, use frequent cut shots. Just about all of the major youtube channels (sxephil, communitychannel, dan brown to name a few) do this (with few exceptions ie-pat condell). This also cuts out excess fat and keeps the video at a healthy length.

That's it for now... If I notice anything else I'll add-on.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'll throw in some constructive thoughts as well.

1. It may be a bit more time consuming, but if you stuff up a line, redo it.

2. Change angles. The shot is just a static two shot. There's nothing wrong with going close up or changing angles to add a different visual element. As someone mentioned, at 10 minutes it's pushing the length of time people are willing to watch a youtube video, especially when the shots are so static. At the very least have the background change a few times. Even if you stick with the two shot it should be tightened.

3. What are you guys using for sound and where are you recording it? Are you using a microphone straight into the camera? The audio sounds very tinny. Either buy some cheap lapel mics to get close audio or find a way to get the mic closer (tightening the two shot would give you a chance to do this). The echoing sound is very distracting.

Good luck guys, keep at it.