What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League player Johns 'knackered'

northey

First Grade
League player Johns 'knackered'

www.smh.com.au

Andrew Johns, the world's No.1 rugby league player, admits he's knackered and can't wait to have a week off.
The champion Newcastle halfback, speaking after a rare off-night in Friday's 38-12 NRL loss to St George Illawarra, said he was struggling for motivation.
And he admits the Knights' top-of-the-table clash with North Queensland in round six and his representative football farewell in Australia's Test win over New Zealand this month in particular have taken a toll both mentally and physically.
"It's hard to speak for the rest of the team, but I know myself since the Cowboys game and the Test match, where I had to play three games in the space of six days, I've been incredibly flat and struggling for motivation a bit," Johns told Sydney radio Triple M's Dead Set Legends program.
"I need rest. I'm knackered. We've got a bye in a fortnight so I'm looking forward to that."
Johns says his current condition is proof he made the right decision in retiring from representative football after the Brisbane Test.
The veteran of 23 Origins and 21 Tests turned down an SOS from NSW on the eve of last Wednesday's State of Origin clash to replace injured Blues halfback Craig Gower.
"I pointed to before how flat and tired I'm feeling, putting an Origin build up in there, it would pretty much wreck the season," the 32-year-old said.
"I've retired from rep footy, I couldn't have wrote (sic) a script better about how well I could finish (rep footy) with the Test in Brisbane.
"I've had my time, it's a young man's game Origin, and I'm glad someone else can get out there and do it.
"People see club football... to play Origin just goes up two more gears so the whole game you're just knackered, the hits are so much harder.
"It's like getting yourself ready for a massive fight, you've got to get yourself revved up for it."
Johns scored a strong try against the Dragons to keep the Knights in the contest near the end of the first half at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Friday night, but generally lacked the usual precision which has earned him the reputation as the world's best player.
Meanwhile, Knights centre Matt Gidley said he will likely take some time next week to start assessing his playing future.
English Super League club St Helens, which is virtually resigned to losing Australian centre Jamie Lyon back to his former NRL team Parramatta next season, has reportedly offered Gidley a contract from 2007 to replace Lyon.
Gidley, 29, still has another year to run on his contract with the Knights, and has been a fixture at Newcastle since making his first grade debut in 1996.
"I heard about it late in the week, but my focus has been on the footy so I'll have to find out what's happening," said Gidley, who played his 207th first grade game for the Knights on Friday and had 11 Origins and 11 Tests to his name before recently announcing his representative retirement.
"(Playing in England) is something I haven't thought about too much because I've always been tied up here at Newcastle."

Jono078

Referee
All this Johns being tired stuff is worrying me..

Anyone else think he will retire at the end of this season ?

I hope not, but it seems like he is struggling enough now and next year wont be any easier for him.

knights9

Juniors
I think we really needed this bye so it can give all or most our players a rest and luckily for us we are the only team that gets they bye before Origin 2.

knights9

Juniors
Jono078 said:
All this Johns being tired stuff is worrying me..

Anyone else think he will retire at the end of this season ?

I hope not, but it seems like he is struggling enough now and next year wont be any easier for him.

Johns will be alright. Once we have the bye and get all our players back we will be back to our best.

RABK

Referee
Indeed, you watch us win something like 11 of our last 12 on our way to the finals.

Quote me on that.

thuganomics

Coach
Give Joey a break from training for the next few days. Have him in good condition for the Dogs game then he will have a week off.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
That was my idea as well Thuga. Tell him that they don't wanna see him until Thursday or Friday. Tell him to go up the coast, have a surf, do whatever he wants.

Burwood

Bench
Jobdog said:
That was my idea as well Thuga. Tell him that they don't wanna see him until Thursday or Friday. Tell him to go up the coast, have a surf, do whatever he wants.

Fly Johns, Buderus and Kidley up to Noosa for a weeks holiday, but only give Johns and Buderus a return ticket.:D

Hagan needs to look at resting Johns during games more often. I can only remember him going off during the last Bulldog's game for 15 minutes at the end- it isn't enough.

Even in the game just gone, there was no reason to have him and Buderus running themselves into the ground for the last 20 minutes- Hagan should have kept some interchanges up his sleeve to give these guys a much needed rest.

keeney

First Grade
Burwood said:
Fly Johns, Buderus and Kidley up to Noosa for a weeks holiday, but only give Johns and Buderus a return ticket.:D

Hagan needs to look at resting Johns during games more often. I can only remember him going off during the last Bulldog's game for 15 minutes at the end- it isn't enough.

Even in the game just gone, there was no reason to have him and Buderus running themselves into the ground for the last 20 minutes- Hagan should have kept some interchanges up his sleeve to give these guys a much needed rest.

We haven't had the luxury of getting up far enough to not need him recently. Our Byes are pretty lousy, we're the last team in the Nrl to get our first, and then the last to get our second, anyones gotta be tired after 12 flat out weeks.

Ben

Bench
We have no choice but to keep Joey on because we haven't been leading by big margines in recent weeks. But what is up with Hagan and Bedsy's five minute breaks. How about actually giving him some actual time off and not just waste two interchanges for a five minute stint on the bench that does not do anything at all. Really mystifies me.

Frederick

Staff member
I was talking to Lindsay Otto today, and she said her partner had lunch with Johns and Buderus yesterday, and Johns was saying that he can't wait until the bye, and he's not sure that he'll play on next year (but this could just be because he's tired), and he was also annoyed about the fact that he was going to be passing to a back-rower playing 5/8 last night.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
If Newcastle wins the premiership this year, I think Johns might choose to retire. It's all he really has left to do, listening to him.

Over here in england one of our rugby league papers is saying warrington owner Simon Moran is going all out to get Joey at Warrington next year. Just wondering what your thoughts on the chances of this happening is. Simon Moran is a very wealthy man so money would not be a problem, would Newcastle now be prepared to take a bucket load of cash for Joey now that he is coming towards the end of his career.

cheers

RABK

Referee
We don't need to, he is signed with us till the end of the 2008 season.

Are Warrington prepared to have 80 planes of Novacastrians heading over there to declare war on them?

Red and Blue Knight said:
We don't need to, he is signed with us till the end of the 2008 season.

Are Warrington prepared to have 80 planes of Novacastrians heading over there to declare war on them?
Warrington fans make the Bulldog fans look like pussies.:) So in all seriousness you do not believe Newcastle would think this a good time to cash in on Joey.

RABK

Referee
Newcastle's legion of grannies armed with handbags and red and blue umbrella's make EPL fans look like kittens.

No chance on Johns, he'll get his motivation back soon and finish his career here.

Red and Blue Knight said:
Newcastle's legion of grannies armed with handbags and red and blue umbrella's make EPL fans look like kittens.

No chance on Johns, he'll get his motivation back soon and finish his career here.
Ok, cheers for the reply....hope the knights go on and win the comp...there's a lot of Warrington fans who have taken Newcastle as there Aussie team after Joeys short but enjoyable stay with us.

P.s Carney's not a bad player..is he.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I think this is just a form slump, Newcastle have this every time Origin come around. I think Joey will be fine, they have the bye in a couple of weeks and I think as has been stated that giving Joey a couple of days break this week would be a good thing.