What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Tougher Than Yawnion - SBW

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
He's just a suck-up, works the media (any media) and they and the morons that hang off his every word are his bitches....
if he's playing Union anytime soon he'll say the opposite.
Haven't some of you got that yet?

Usain Bolt

Bench
SBW should stay in league, he won't be a regular starter for the All Blacks with Nonu and Smith in the midfield. He'll most likely get starts here and there and maybe ride the bench like he did at the 2011 RWC. At least he's guaranteed to start and play 80mins every week in the NRL.

Loudstrat

Coach
SBW should stay in league, he won't be a regular starter for the All Blacks with Nonu and Smith in the midfield. He'll most likely get starts here and there and maybe ride the bench like he did at the 2011 RWC.
:lol: UNtil he re-igned for Easts and said that he was a Union God who was way too good for RL. Yet 2 years ago you twats claimed he won the RWC single handedly!

FMD you Yawnion spankers come up with some utterly ridiculous garbage at times. :lol::lol:
At least he's guaranteed to start and play 80mins every week in the NRL.
Like he wouldnt get a start in Stupid 15 for the Chiefs???????

Just f*k off back to your minnow toffs sport old boys lub and swill cognac wih the other Volvo drivers.

bottle

Coach
Noticed another SBW piece in yesterday's (?) Telucrap where he talks about his game preparation. He included "stay humble" as part of the process.

He's a special human being.

adamkungl

Immortal
Edit: that said, I still don't think league was his #1 choice for 2014, and I still don't think he is beyond throwing a tantrum because of it :lol:

So... he could have earned more playing Union or Boxing, and League wasnt his #1 choice, but he was somehow forced to play League? I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

That's because Sonny is a God.

Quite frankly anyone who wouldn't suck him off is a bit of a androtop, really.

Seconded :lol:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I was of the opinion that in Australia, Union is a pretty considerable rival to rugby league domestically. This means everything from fans to sponsors to kids playing.

Also, perhaps I was mistaken, but I certainly interpreted the comments by SBW as something to take as a positive. We want to create the best product we can - this means attracting the best athletes we can. Many of the SL players who come over here do so because there is an attraction to playing in a superior competition. I would have thought this applied to Union too.

Rugby league still is a business creating a product, and he's the only person (with such success in both) with the authority to make the claim that it's a harder game to succeed in.

Who cares if it's spin? The media is all spin, competing with spin, and I'd be plastering this spin everywhere I could. It's good advertisement.

Oh well, you guys don't agree. Nevermind. No harm done. The joy of forums ;-)

Brad Thorn comes to mind. Played Origin and won Rah Rah cups. In the forwards too I believe.

Sonny is not the only one who can comment. But with the media swinging off his c**k, no one could blame you for thinking he is the only one who could.

Ridders

Coach
The guy played in the back-line in Union vs playing as a forward in League. Of course League would have been tougher for him.

LazyDreamer

Bench
The guy played in the back-line in Union vs playing as a forward in League. Of course League would have been tougher for him.

This.

How he describes life in a union backline is pretty much how a union forward would describe life in a union backline.

But even if he'd played in the forwards, he'd still be stating - correctly - that league is the tougher sport.

Bengal

Juniors
But in all seriousness, I cant imagine that the powers that be in RU will be too happy about him saying that their players have it easy, and it's a bad look for them no matter how you approach it./>

He played in the backs, one of the pretty boys he described them as being and that's where he's coming from. His experiences as a back only. He'll gladly state as much if asked. As for which sport is actually tougher, once upon a time that was a no-brainer. Now days though, with the rah rahs copying so many facets of League and the current League admin intent on softening the game, the answer to that question is far from clear.

DeeJ

Bench
Willie Mason confirms union is softer:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...been-a-rugby-union-player-20131024-2w42b.html

Veteran NRL star Willie Mason doesn't have any regrets in his long rugby league career, but if he had his time again, rugby union would have been the code for him.
On a nationwide tour to promote February's inaugural NRL Auckland Nines, Big Willie stopped by Hamilton yesterday and talked in his typically candid way on a wide range of issues.
The 33-year-old, who has one year remaining on his Newcastle Knights contract, has never been far from the spotlight, for the right and wrong reasons, since his debut for the Canterbury Bulldogs in 2000.
Having won a premiership, played Origin and test footy, Mason had a brief stint in the 15-man code with French club Toulon in 2011, but was released later that year, having struggled to make an impact.
Advertisement
But with the amount of money on offer in rugby these days, Mason would have switched earlier, with more time to get to grips with the sport.
"When I was like 23, 24, I had done everything in the game. And if I could see in the future, which no-one can, I'd probably go to union," he said.
"That's why you see so many guys working their arse off to be an All Black, as soon as you get an All Black cap, bang, see you later, you get a million dollars over in Japan. You've played five minutes in the All Blacks, but it doesn't matter, you're an All Black.
"I wouldn't come to league either, why would ya? It's physical, it's hard, every week, it's 26 rounds, you don't get paid as much as when you can just f... around in France or Japan, bash all the Japanese guys around and get a few million dollars for 14 games."
Mason admits he wished his rugby experience was in the southern hemisphere instead of playing "kick tennis" up north, and he said what stopped him changing codes earlier was not wanting to step outside his comfort zone.
Now under the cosy leadership of master coach Wayne Bennett at the Knights, Mason doesn't want to play for anyone else if he decides not to retire after next season.
"If I feel like I'm still competing with the big boys and I'm still doing my thing and I'm still handling my s..., I'll just keep playing," Mason said, adding that the on-field sledging he's accustomed to would be something he would miss most when he hangs up his boots.
"You'll miss the camaraderie, but just the battles on the field, you know what I mean, just like pissing everyone off, and just hammering them physically, mentally, all that kind of stuff. I've reached that limit in my career now where I'm a veteran sort of player and it's like 'If you want to take my head off, take it off, I can take your head off as well you know'."
Mason hasn't just raised the ire on the field, he has for a long time been unpopular with the public on these shores. And he knows why, having been born here, then moving across the ditch as a four-year-old.
"If my heart was in New Zealand I'd play for New Zealand, there'd be no doubt in my mind.
"Why would I be fake about it and just go 'I want to play for New Zealand because you're the first one to give me a jersey'. I'm not like that, man, I'd back myself to play for Australia, and I did.
"If I wasn't a good player they wouldn't give a f... would they."
Meanwhile, on the prospect of the Nines, which will be held at Eden Park on a five-year deal, Mason is looking forward to the more ad-lib style than he's used to.
"With league being such a structured game these days, it sucks for bigger guys. If you're a front rower you just hit the ball up, man, you do what the halves tell you, man, run there, don't f...... run a metre either side of that line. That's how much the game's changed. When I first started it was like 'Just run, just run'."