What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League v Union charity game

Detox

Juniors
FoxSports said:
League v Union charity game
By Adam Hawse
January 16, 2005

TALKS have begun to bring the cream of the NRL and Super 12 together in a cross-code showdown to raise funds for the victims of Asia's devastating tsunamis.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned of moves in the past few days to have composite league and union teams play off at Telstra Stadium, following the enormous success of cricket's charity game in Melbourne.

The league team would comprise a representative from each NRL club, while the rugby team would be made up of players from each of the Super 12 teams.

Wallaby winger Lote Tuqiri and Kangaroos utility Craig Wing have already thrown their support behind the idea of a hybrid game which could pit the likes of league champion Andrew Johns against Wallaby stars Wendell Sailor and Matt Giteau.

The match would be played in mid to late February with a sell-out crowd of 80,000 a formality.

"I'd put my hand up for it," Tuqiri said last night.

"There have been a heap of things done to support the tsunami victims and I'd certainly get behind this.

"It sounds like it would be fun and it would be interesting to see how a few of the league blokes would go if there are lineouts."

Moves for the game began after the overwhelming success of cricket's Rest of the World versus Asia match at the MCG last Monday, which raised more than $14m in tsunami relief funds.

Those involved have been asked not to speak publicly about the match as it is only in the embryonic stage. A number of plans on how the game would be played are up for discussion.

For clubs unwilling to expose their players to the risk of injury on the eve of a new season, they would be allowed to nominate a recently retired player, such as Gorden Tallis or Brad Fittler.

A source said last night that former Wallaby captain John Eales would be approached to fill rugby's coach/manager role, as Steve Waugh did for the Rest of the World team.

It is believed Telstra Stadium management is behind the idea, but no one was willing to comment yesterday.

NRL chief executive David Gallop was positive about any attempts to raise further aid for victims, but had not been presented with a formal proposal.

"I heard speculation about it on Friday," Gallop said.

"It would obviously be for a great cause, but we haven't received a proposal about it at this stage.

"We've been involved in some significant fund-raising efforts over the last couple of weeks. The league contributed $100,000 at the MCG on Monday and our clubs and players have made separate contributions in excess of $200,000.

"We'd need to consult a number of parties before taking it further."

Wing, who had his first training session of the year with the Sydney Roosters last Friday, said the risk of injury would be a concern to clubs.

"But the whole concept sounds fun, especially for a guy like me who has played rugby union," Wing said.

The game would not be be run like the match between English champions Wigan (league) and Bath (union) in the mid-1990s, which had one half played under league rules and the other under rugby rules, although union's intense scrummaging banned.

Balmain_Boy

it would be interesting to see how a few of the league blokes would go if there are lineouts."

Or how blokes like Dunning would go trying to retreat a whole 10 metres. We'll smash them if it happens.

skeepe

Immortal
As a fan of both games, I still object to Wendell Sailor being called a Wallabies "star." With the skills he has shown in his time, if he wasn't a high profile league recruit he'd never get anywhere near the national side.

I know it was a terrible thing that happened ,
but wernt the players whinging about too many games during the season,
thats one reason why we dont have 7's tournament this year,(it is a senstional couple of days too)
they could have held a 7s . invited the walabies and donated all that to the fund

Southern Warrio

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
it would be interesting to see how a few of the league blokes would go if there are lineouts."

Or how blokes like Dunning would go trying to retreat a whole 10 metres. We'll smash them if it happens.

:lol: Dunning :lol:
Im sure if the game was played they would pick good props, not Dunning. Guys like Carl Hayman and one of the yaapie props.

With the locks im sure Bard Thorn would remeber how to jump in the lineout.

Big Mick

Referee
lmao

I'd love to see them try to tackle Matt Bowen or Lockyer or Johns.

Willie Tonga, lmao

Our backs would shit all over em. Our forwards would also kill em.

Nathan Hindmarsh and co smashing the living crap out of em.

It'd be interesting if they actually know where the try line is would be my question to the union people :roll:

The Observer

Staff member
Bring it on - it could be an incredibly competitive match and would sell out Telstra Stadium. Play it 9 a side, 4 bench players with a mix of the rules of both codes - the main one being that you have 4 tackles/PTBs then switch to rucks/mauls. Consider the match-ups if a match took place soon:

FULLBACK Rogers vs Mini/Wing
WINGS Rathbone/Sailor vs Rooney, Tuqiri vs Tate
CENTRE Mortlock vs Tonga/Berrigan
2nd RECEIVER - Giteau vs Lockyer
PLAYMAKER - Larkham vs Kimmorley
BASE OF THE RUCK - Gregan vs Buderus/Wing
BALL CARRIER - David Lyons vs Webcke, Roe vs Civoniceva (the Ruggeroids would have to use No 8s/blindside flankers only if the Leaguies are to compete, and that would omit outstanding players like Jeremy Paul and ex Manly RL junior George Smith).

simostorm

Bench
I dont think Gregan would play, he wouldnt want the public to see how crap he really is when squared up against league players.

joshreading

Staff member
This I doubt would go ahead - if one side won by alot - and league has the better chance at doing so if would crush the Credibility of the other - it would be a great win for RL but would anyone be willing to risk it?

Copa

Bench
Remember this..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/1184691.stm

Tallis, who wants to "bring on the Wallabies... and bring them on soon", vented his feelings after the weeks of sniping between officials of rival codes since Test winger Wendell Sailor's defected to union.

Tallis claimed he was tired of union officials boasting "about how good their game is and what great athletes their players are".

"Any footballer worth his salt will do his talking on the field and that's where I want to take on the Wallabies," Tallis wrote.

"I'll play them anywhere, anytime and I'll play them for nothing.

Genius Freak

Juniors
Piss off sending Kimmorley. Dunning might land on him and we'd lose him for the season. Sharks can send Bird or someone like that.

DIEHARD

----
Union v League games are evil. Don't give people ideas, evil ideas that will never work and are against god.

Moffo

Referee
Bring it on!!!!

I'd like to see Sonny Bill pick up Dunning and smash him like the fat shit he is

If it does go ahead we need to make sure that league fans get the majority of tickets 8)

But at the end of the day, its for charity and the tsunami appeal

Still, bring on Johns v Gregan :lol:

Corbin

Juniors
i play union and i find theres a lot of league converts running around and it is so bloodly hard to get past them! the way you tackle in league is different to the way you tackle in union

this game will be Very Intresting.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Observer said:
Bring it on - it could be an incredibly competitive match and would sell out Telstra Stadium. Play it 9 a side, 4 bench players with a mix of the rules of both codes - the main one being that you have 4 tackles/PTBs then switch to rucks/mauls. Consider the match-ups if a match took place soon:

BALL CARRIER - David Lyons vs Webcke, Roe vs Civoniceva (the Ruggeroids would have to use No 8s/blindside flankers only if the Leaguies are to compete, and that would omit outstanding players like Jeremy Paul and ex Manly RL junior George Smith).

mate, it's League vs Union they're pitching, not Brisbane v Union.

:roll:

innsaneink

Referee

Dream on.

The stars wont be involved.

Theyre talking about recently retired NRL players for this.