What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League's worst kept secret now official

yobbo84

Coach
Source: http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=1567

Rabbitohs Sign Nigel Vagana for Two Years

150_1567_0.jpg

The Real Insurance Rabbitohs have announced the signing of New Zealand international Nigel Vagana, with Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson finalising the two-year contract today.
Vagana has played 198 first grade games since 1996 and 32 Tests for New Zealand since 1998 including captaining the side against the Australians in the 2006 Anzac Test.
Mr Richardson says: “Nigel Vagana is one of the most potent attacking weapons in the NRL. He is the current Kiwi Test captain and his experience and leadership will be invaluable for our young backline.”
South Sydney Football Club Executive Chairman Peter Holmes à Court says that Vagana is as impressive off the field as he is on the field.
“I met with Nigel and was impressed with the fact he has studied to obtain his first architectural qualifications while playing at a top level,” Mr Holmes à Court said.
“He is setting himself up for an exciting chapter at the Rabbitohs and has set the foundations for a solid career beyond football.”

Scott

Bench
Ruben Wiki is the current Kiwi captain. Vagana was a last minute fill in.

Stupid signing imo!

Mr Saab

Referee
I wonder if Nigel (in his capacities as an architect) will design the Rabbitohs training facilities.

MrCharisma

Bench
Hahahaha we all knew about this ages ago

Well done to Souths for no doubt offering Vagana a HUGE retirement package.

Nigels best days are long gone... Souths probably still remember the 5 tries he put on against them back in 2002 with the Dogs

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Not a bad signing for the Rabbitohs, though. They need some decent name players, even if we all believe they are "past their prime".

yobbo84

Coach
I don't care if Nigel is past his best. He's still better than 99% of our players... we need first graders, not guys who have the odd good game.. and lots of them..

Inferno

Coach
Now way should Nige be playing 5/8.

I don't buy into his best footy is behind him either. His type of play just didn't suit the Sharks unfortunately.

Could be a revelation for the Bunnies. Good signing and I look forward to them being competitive next year.

rotti

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
I wonder if Nigel (in his capacities as an architect) will design the Rabbitohs training facilities.

I heard they are moving to Wentworth park where the Rabbit always wins

buster bunny

Juniors
Inferno said:
Now way should Nige be playing 5/8.

I don't buy into his best footy is behind him either. His type of play just didn't suit the Sharks unfortunately.

Could be a revelation for the Bunnies. Good signing and I look forward to them being competitive next year.

Yeah I think so too. He is still a great player but for some reason doesnt seem to go looking for the ball as much as he should at the Sharks. Maybe Souths will suit him more than the sharks. In saying that I think most sharks fans still think of him a vital member of their team this year. Good signing and happy about the 2yrs rather than 3!

Balmain_Boy

Good footballer and a decent signing. Granted Souths have to pay overs for anyone with the state they are in, but I hope they don't pump too many dollars in.

Souths desperate need a halfback and a classy prop.

BWNB

First Grade
Very good signing souths , his best footy isnt past him i still think he can do well at souths look forward to seeing him at his best again

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Of course he's past his best- not because he's gone massively off the boil or anything, but because he'll be 32 next year, and no speedy centre is at his best at 32. Nigel was an excellent player in a poor side (Warriors) between the ages of 23-25, an excellent player in a good side (Bulldogs) between age 26-28, and unsurprisingly a comparatively mediocre player in a comparatively mediocre side aged 29-31. Anyone is going to look worse when they are going past 30 and playing for an ordinary side, as opposed to 26/27 in a top side.

gaterooze

Bench
His attack is down these days, but he's one of the best defensive centres around -- exactly what the Bunnies need!

Latest posts