What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learoyd-Lars signs for four years

legend

Coach
Big unit put pen to paper for 880k over four years. With Tilse and this bloke, we will have a monster pack.

Man I hope we get Galea because if we do, then we are a much more potent side.

Kiwi

First Grade
Thats a good pick up.

He was never going to force his way into the Broncos pack with the likes of Webcke, Petero, Parker, Carlaw, Costigan, Mapp, Thaiday, Carroll, Thorn, Stagg ect all ahead of him.

I hope he goes well for the Raiders.

legend

Coach
Me too. He is a big unit and if we get Galea, then the Raiders will finally have a decent pack again.

Mr Saab

Referee
good buy, but 4yrs at 880k? thats a serious contract for someone that has not really proven himself. I hope he comes thru with the goods

Stuart

Juniors
legend said:
Me too. He is a big unit and if we get Galea, then the Raiders will finally have a decent pack again.
I like this signing. Cant see us getting Galea now though. Smith should now be number one the priority and if the club is struggeling to fit him under the cap i cant see them fitting Galea in as well.

Kiwi

First Grade
Learoyd will slot straight into the Raiders front row, along with Tilse. It'll give them a young front row, but with Woolford firing them up they should be fine and build a good platform for the Raiders.

I'd be very surprised if Galea left the Tigers, but if he did and they kept Jason Smith for next year. With Tilse, Learoyd, Jason ( if he can remain injury free ) and Galea on the field, the Raiders premiership hopes just improved dramitically.

Kiwi

First Grade
Charlie Saab said:
good buy, but 4yrs at 880k? thats a serious contract for someone that has not really proven himself. I hope he comes thru with the goods

He will, I have no doubt about that. He'll prove to be worth every penny, and at the end of that contract will probably be worth more like 350,000 a year.

Kiwi

First Grade
I'm actually surprised the Raiders hadn't sought an imediate release of Learoyd. With about 10 guys in front of him at the Broncos, he wont play again this year unless half the pack is injured.

skeepe

Immortal
Probably due to the cap situation this season. With us already picking up Lomu and Williams mid-season, plus bringing forward some payments (eg. Withers) there really isn't much room to move under the cap, Learoyd-Lars would have to come for free if he were to come this year.

legend

Coach
With the Raiders letting go of O'Hara, T Smith, Hindmarsh and Adamson, you would think we would have over 1 million to spend on player recruitment so I'd like to think there is a little more left in the kitty.

Kiwi, I'm assuming with out injuries this year, we are very close to the cap and bringing in another player might tip us over the cap or maybe the Broncos don't want to release him?

Mr Saab

Referee
broncos wont release him....they would be stupid if they did.
Every team needs depth, especially at this time of the yr. Brisbane have been blessed somewhat with injuries (berrigan/tate excluded) but that can change in just one game.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Very astute buy, IMO before this season, I saw Learoyd breaking out for us as the 3rd wheel with Webcke and Civoniceva which would eventually lead to him becoming our number one prop in 2-3 years.

$800K for 4 years is perhaps a little overpriced and as as Saab said, he has not really proven much in the top grade though as a junior, he was awesome and a rare breed of athlete who is big and damn quick.

Broncodroid

Juniors
As for us releasing him, hell no. Shane Webcke is one wrong hit to that right knee from being sidelined for the season, Petero is going to be feeling the pinch after a big season thus far with rep duties and whilst we have Thaiday and Parker on call, Learoyd is a safety blank down the stretch for a finals run.

Over the closing stages, I think you will see a guy like Civoniceva reseted to ensure he is not jaded for the finals. Learoyd comes into play....

Mal Meninga

Bench
Solid recruit that needs to stay injury free. The potential of a Tilse, Learoyd, and Weyman front row is incredible, and along with Carney the Raiders might just be heading to prominence once more.

legend

Coach
It's obvious the club has lost a lot of confidence in Michael Weyman by going top heavy with front rowers. Can't say I blame them. I think his career will be dramatically shortened by injury and I can even see the club opting to release him sooner rather than later.

Stuart

Juniors
legend said:
It's obvious the club has lost a lot of confidence in Michael Weyman by going top heavy with front rowers. Can't say I blame them. I think his career will be dramatically shortened by injury and I can even see the club opting to release him sooner rather than later.

I hope he stays at the club. He is only young and if he can get over this injury problem he will be a real asset. I think he might need wrapping in cotton wool for a while till his body fully develops. Saying that next season will be the acid test. If he is out injured for the majority he may not be re-signed. Hope he plays all next year and lives up to his obvious potential.

Jono078

Referee
Maybe not next year, but the year after if Smith is still there I would hate to play you guys, I mean future rep props infront of Smith, he will kill every team, not like he hasnt already.

Second best player in the comp IMO!

thuganomics

Coach
Boy I wish the Knights had some managment like the Raiders. We wern't even considering going for this bloke...

sydraider

First Grade
Big pack next year, sounds good to me!

Hopefully Lars will kill it in 'the nrl with his size and mobility, along with Tilse and hopefully a rejuvinated Lomu and injury free Weyman(one hopes), now thats an intimidating pak to say the least.

If we still have J smith next year, behind this pack, with some good young outside backs, we will be hard to stop IMO.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Charlie Saab said:

i agree
600k maybe
700, if he's lucky
Lars is now on 220k a season... for an unproven potential :?