What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learoyd-Lars signs for four years

legend

Coach
They all celebrated when he left as will we come th end of the season.

No more:

Drew
Bulgarelli
T Smith

Raider_69

Post Whore
but we usher in a new era of nuffys, lead by one Matt Gafa and assisted by David Howell

aqua_duck

Coach
Brimmer said:
I HEARD HE RUNS THE 100m IN THE LOW 12'S?
Actually has a PB of 11.2 over 100, but right now would be around the 12 second mark.
Also extremly quick over the 40.
Combine that with his size and god damn you've got a physical specimen to behold.

Raider_69

Post Whore
ill pay elliot some credit
i think its a fantasic idea to groom him as a 2nd rower, a man of his size, strength and speed could be absolutely brutal on the edges of the ruck

Timbo

Staff member
Ok just a general question, am I the only one who rates Howell?

Mal Meninga

Bench
Everything that's said about Learoyd gives me a Mason like picture, only thing which hinders that is why on earth are Brisbane lettng him go, same with other dubbed superstars like Berrick Barnes? Thorn and Webcke aren't spring chickens, fair go that Barnes has Lockeyer, Seymour and possibly Hunt in the halves, but for someone so highly rated, what's the go..

Timbo said:
I think everyones just giving it to him because we've got Milne, Ale, Graham and possibly Frawley who's occupying their position in the centres/wing.
He's just not potent and his defense is suspect but what I do like is his support and his willingness to get involved. The running across field though is painful to watch.

Kiwi

First Grade
Mal Meninga said:
Everything that's said about Learoyd gives me a Mason like picture, only thing which hinders that is why on earth are Brisbane lettng him go, same with other dubbed superstars like Berrick Barnes? Thorn and Webcke aren't spring chickens, fair go that Barnes has Lockeyer, Seymour and possibly Hunt in the halves, but for someone so highly rated, what's the go.

Broncos can't keep everyone. Whilst Learoyd is a great prospect. The likes of Parker, Thaiday, Costigan, McGuire, Carlaw, and Stagg are ahead of him, even before mentioning Carroll ( 3 more years on his contract ), Thorn ( 2 years left ), Petero and Webcke.

goldcoastpunk

Juniors
Tom LL should be a good signing, plenty of potential... Just worried about the $$ we are spending on him.

Howell is a fairly solid player imo, and ill even go as far as saying I dont mind Gafa (although i agree the likes of Ale, Chalk, Mogg, Frawley, Milne, Graham etc are more deserving of a first grade spot)

Comparing Gafa and Howell to the likes of Drew and Bulgarelli is a bit harsh!!! I wouldnt even compare Wolfgramm to those two!

aqua_duck

Coach
Kiwi said:
Broncos can't keep everyone. Whilst Learoyd is a great prospect. The likes of Parker, Thaiday, Costigan, McGuire, Carlaw, and Stagg are ahead of him, even before mentioning Carroll ( 3 more years on his contract ), Thorn ( 2 years left ), Petero and Webcke.
At the moment the Broncos have a young brigade of forwards and whilst in my opinion Learoyd is probably the pick of them in terms of potential, he's the youngest of all of them, and has the least experienced. Parker, Carroll, McGuire, Carlaw, Thorn, Cinvoneciva are all players with origin experience and at the moment Tom is surplus to requirements. Also he's had a back injury which has held him back abit and there's noway broncos were going to match 220k offer, I'm sure they would've loved to keep him, he's been affiliated with them since he was about 13 or 14.

ausraider

Juniors
In other signing news yesterday, the Raiders officially announced the recruitment of Brisbane forward Tom Learoyd-Lahrs for four seasons. The deal is worth $880,000 over four seasons but only if the rookie prop can break into the Queensland State of Origin side as well as play at least 22 games for Canberra each year.
Quote from Tele.

I would like to know if the above is not been achieved by the player what amount will the raiders register on the cap and how all this affect the cap for next season.Very interesting.I didn't think contracts like this existed these days but on the other hand I think this will get the best out of the player.I hope Gaffa's next contract will have a clause something along these lines:If you don't make 200m per game towards opposition line with speed and thrust you will not be paid.See the pedestrian stick a rocket up his arse than.

aussies1st

Staff member
If Elliot is so desperate for a utlity this guy maybe one. I hear he can play in the centres and i guess with his size he could play either front or backrow.

woodgers

Bench
Timbo said:
No, Elliott rates him too.

You don't win Grand Finals with players like Howell in your side. You might get away with it in a pub comp but not the NRL.

Brimmer

Juniors
Fox Sports said:
In other signing news yesterday, the Raiders officially announced the recruitment of Brisbane forward Tom Learoyd-Lahrs for four seasons.
The deal is worth $880,000 over four seasons but only if the rookie prop can break into the Queensland State of Origin side as well as play at least 22 games for Canberra each year.

Geez... are they for real? Seems like a hard bargain?