What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leave pass

northey

First Grade
BLUE-COLLAR battler Luke Quigley went cap in hand to his boss yesterday with an urgent holiday request - he needs time off to help save the Knights' premiership charge.
The part-time Newcastle hooker and roofer was officially told he will play in the biggest game of his career against Brisbane at Aussie Stadium on Saturday night as a replacement for Danny Buderus.
Quigley's leave request was rubber-stamped in an instant. It helps when your boss is a big Knights supporter.
"I told him to take as much time as he needs," Sunbow Roofing owner Mark Humphries said.
"Hopefully, the team keeps winning and we won't see him back here for a few weeks."
Buderus will fight for a down-grading of his dangerous throw charge before the judiciary tonight, but even if successful the Test hooker will miss the semi-final against the Broncos. Quigley, 25, who is now on holidays until the Knights' season concludes, is the man in the hot-seat.
"I'm OK now but the nerves will hit me by Friday," Quigley said.
"It is really tough for Bedsy but I just want to get out there and do whatever I can for the side."
Quigley has played 40 top-grade games for the Knights in four seasons but only ever as a fill-in for Buderus or off the bench.
He has made just one appearance this season – a round 17 clash against Manly – but that game only continued a season of bad luck when he was forced off with a dislocated elbow.
Earlier in the season he was out with a knee injury and then spent a further month on the sideline with a broken jaw after being bashed by two thugs in a hotel carpark.
"It hasn't been a great season until now," he said. "Hopefully I can make the most of this chance."
One thing is certain, he won't be lacking in the courage department.
Last season, Quigley played the final 20 minutes of a game against Canberra despite suffering a ruptured testicle.
Knights star Andrew Johns claims he is one of the toughest players he knows.
"He's not very big but he just gets out there and rips in," Johns said.
"No one can replace Bedsy but Quigs is not going to let anyone down. He'll make 50 tackles and really put his body on the line.
"All the boys love playing with him."
Ironically, Quigley has been given added motivation for the Brisbane game.
His manager Todd Buckingham revealed yesterday he had offered Quigley to the Broncos as a hooker replacement for the injured Michael Ennis early in the season.
The Broncos rejected him.
As for his nine to five job, Quigley is a rare breed among modern-day players.
With a young family, he makes enough money out of the game to make ends meet despite rarely getting an opportunity in the top grade. But he supplements his income with a full-time job.
"When you are mainly playing Premier League and not training until late in the afternoon, why not have a job," he said yesterday. "I've been working for Sunbow Roofing for six years and the boss is pretty understanding when it comes to footy."

here are the pics that went with the article
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5243096,00.jpg
^ quigs at work with his dog
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5243099,00.jpg
^ training

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20400100-5001023,00.html

keeney

First Grade
That is harsh, he does have a head like a beaten favourite though. Not that that matters seeing as he's got a family already.

Latest posts