What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon to use players from their own comp in World cup

Golden point

Juniors
That all you got lad?
Ok then.. in war torn Lebanon where a big money pro comp probably won't be on the cards. Any potential stars will be picked up by the nrl...if you get 25+ of them ,then some of them can't be selected because you have created a rule that forces pour Lebanon to use their dud players in their domestic league . Stupid idea.

All you guys seem to forget that we have a world cup because we have relaxed these rules... you all want to kill the goose that layed the golden egg.

roughyedspud

Coach
Lol what utter shite..do you have any idea how long it would take for the scenario you outlined to happen?? It'll be 100 years before any 2nd tier nation could field a squad of domestics that play in the NRL... or ESL for that matter.

And it'll never happen if we don't promote domestics on the bigger stage,the RLWC,getting domestics signed up by NRL or ESL clubs should actually be a goal as it will advance the development of the game faster....also there'll only ever be 2 "big money comps" in the world,NRL & ESL...

We hear it all the time about players going into state of origin camps or emerging origin camps or going on tours despite not playing...that they'll come back better players for just being around better players and the experience of working under different coaches, assistants etc.....EXACTLY THE SAME APPLIES to the best 4-5 domestics in a 24-25man world cup squad...having 4-5 domestics isn't going to kill the goose ya dick lol if anything it will,over time, strengthen the credibility of the RLWC cos we'll have more and more home grown talent taking the field....to the point where,in many many years,we can turn round and say that nations are only allowed 4-5 heritage players!

That's the point of having a development pathway!

taipan

Referee
Sorry!! but does this Golden Pointer understand even in union, the overwhelming majority of countries are amateur.And this has not stopped them getting into or playing for entry to the union WC.

Many of these emerging rl countries are now playing matches against each other in Europe and the Pacific Islands/PNG.
Some amateurs from other countries are getting to play in England in lower divisions.

World Cups of major sports are not about professionalism(yes it helps),but representation of the country.Hopefully with as many locally produced players (which shock horror will include amateurs).

In an ideal world every player from every country would be a full blown pro who was born in that country.It may happen in 100 years, it may never happen. WTF does it matter.
It's about growing the sport and flogging it to as many countries as possible.

Ok then.. in war torn Lebanon where a big money pro comp probably won't be on the cards. Any potential stars will be picked up by the nrl...if you get 25+ of them ,then some of them can't be selected because you have created a rule that forces pour Lebanon to use their dud players in their domestic league . Stupid idea.
Irrelevant because any domestic player rule, as it was in the lead up to the 2008 world cup, would include players produced domestically who have moved on to other countries. They wouldn't have to be living in their country at the time.

Coparugby

Juniors
5 domestics in a squad of 24 isn't exactly something to shout about.
Had it been 5 domestic in a starting team or 12 in the 24 maybe.
We could easily see Lebanon play their tournament only with Australians.
Imagine the drive and enthusiasm in the domestic game now that at least 5 will be in the WC squad and traveling to Australia, interviewed by media, exposed to the best of the best etc

It will also mean foreign media can more easily conduct interviews in languages other than English.

roughyedspud

Coach
Imagine the drive and enthusiasm in the domestic game now that at least 5 will be in the WC squad and traveling to Australia, interviewed by media, exposed to the best of the best etc.

He seems incapable of seeing the benefit and bigger picture...it's not new,we get these clowns every world cup year..

Golden point

Juniors
He seems incapable of seeing the benefit and bigger picture...it's not new,we get these clowns every world cup year..
Thankfully these types of clowns are running the game and these type of clowns are producing a profitable world Cup.

Ok so let just see how this pans out.

We will see if these guys A: even run onto the field
B: get smashed and embarrassed ( possibly cost a game).

Why not use these guys in a few international freindlies before the world Cup?

Why not just pick some players and invite them for some training sessions ?

If they play amazing and generate a storm of publicity back in Lebanon or even get a contract i will concede

Coparugby

Juniors
Thankfully these types of clowns are running the game and these type of clowns are producing a profitable world Cup.

Ok so let just see how this pans out.

We will see if these guys A: even run onto the field
B: get smashed and embarrassed ( possibly cost a game).

Why not use these guys in a few international freindlies before the world Cup?

Why not just pick some players and invite them for some training sessions ?

If they play amazing and generate a storm of publicity back in Lebanon or even get a contract i will concede
As a keen fan of the international game I'm sure you're already aware that Lebanese media traveled with the team, which included domestic players, to South Africa for the World Cup qualifiers.

I suspect the actual World Cup will get even more attention.

Golden point

Juniors
As a keen fan of the international game I'm sure you're already aware that Lebanese media traveled with the team, which included domestic players, to South Africa for the World Cup qualifiers.

I suspect the actual World Cup will get even more attention.
That's awesome!

roughyedspud

Coach
The fact you've picked on Lebanon baffles me..I'd say they are dead certs to be the "darlings" of the whole world cup,they are gonna have a fairly decent side,Freddie fitler loves the camera,I reckon there's gonna be 25-30k Lebanese at the sfs for their games,they should get to the 1/4s,possibly the semi's.....and you are worried about 4-5 domestics? lol

Golden point

Juniors
The fact you've picked on Lebanon baffles me..I'd say they are dead certs to be the "darlings" of the whole world cup,they are gonna have a fairly decent side,Freddie fitler loves the camera,I reckon there's gonna be 25-30k Lebanese at the sfs for their games,they should get to the 1/4s,possibly the semi's.....and you are worried about 4-5 domestics? lol
Picked on Lebanon?? I love that they are in the comp! But why a weakened side? A few injuries and this could cost them. If they didn't pick players for a novelty factor they could beat anyone but the top 3 and be a major player in the world Cup. When one of these domestic player's drops an easy ball to miss out on the 1/4 final ? Just 1 level below NRL and you get some real coach killers. I can only imagine.

MKCS

Juniors
In my view you want a team that has the best chance at winning however bringing 5 guys into camp, having them play in some warm up games and potentially even off the bench at the World Cup whilst they're around the likes of NRL regulars such as Mitch Moses, Tim Mannah, Robbie Farah and of course an NRL legend in Brad Fittler is nothing but positive.

As others have said it's great for the domestic game in that country and they can take what these guys teach them and teach others which increases the strength of the Lebanese side. Also, if Fittler is the coach after the World Cup and is dedicated to being there for every game and coaching a team which may feature much more domestic talent that's good for them.

I don't think they'll finish top 4 but with these types of measures they one day could be.

Golden point

Juniors
In my view you want a team that has the best chance at winning however bringing 5 guys into camp, having them play in some warm up games and potentially even off the bench at the World Cup whilst they're around the likes of NRL regulars such as Mitch Moses, Tim Mannah, Robbie Farah and of course an NRL legend in Brad Fittler is nothing but positive.

As others have said it's great for the domestic game in that country and they can take what these guys teach them and teach others which increases the strength of the Lebanese side. Also, if Fittler is the coach after the World Cup and is dedicated to being there for every game and coaching a team which may feature much more domestic talent that's good for them.

I don't think they'll finish top 4 but with these types of measures they one day could be.
What rubbish. Yeah they all go back and grow the game 5 fold? ... your kidding yourselves! A young man gets given a crack..doesn't work out... they go back to what they were doing in life before this came along.
That's all this will be and you guys all seem to think the game will flourish because 1 man has a crack? Been done a million times and nothing comes of it because it is 1 mans journey and his journey most often is not your international rl dreams but just a chapter. International rugby league will flourish when we have regular quality international rugby league contests. When we have the best players, we have the best product.

Then everyone will want to be part of it.

morningstar

Juniors
Please name these 24 NRL/SL full time contracted Lebanese players.

No? So what benefits Lebanon RL more? Filling out their squad with heritage players from park football in Sydney or using five lads from the domestic scene?

Golden point

Juniors
Please name these 24 NRL/SL full time contracted Lebanese players.

No? So what benefits Lebanon RL more? Filling out their squad with heritage players from park football in Sydney or using five lads from the domestic scene?
So you don't think they could fill the roster with sl , nrl , nsw cup,QLD cup, French league , championship and so on...how many levels does Lebanon have.? 1? Now that IS park football..LITERALLY!

Latest posts