What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon to use players from their own comp in World cup

adamkungl

Immortal
http://www.rugbyleaguehub.com/2017/07/18/rlwc-2017-scouting-report-united-states/

McDermott gets it. Legacy.

“But I’ll tell you the important one: after the World Cup, a load of blokes who were born in America, who’ve got an American accent, who are American by nationality can go back to the USA and they can say to their clubs, to their areas, to their competition ‘I’ve been involved in a World Cup, I’ve been involved at the highest level, we’ve played against some great teams and this is how it’s done’.

“That’s called legacy. That means there’s some foundations for the following World Cup.
“I don’t know how we’re going to go. We’re up against some good teams.
But I’m conscious some of these guys need to have such a good experience that they go back and say ‘this is how you play, this is how you train’.

They can go spread the gospel, that’s how you grow games.

Golden point

Juniors
Very disheartening to hear he won't even meet the players until they touch down in townsville...2 days before a game! I would have thought they would have been here longer than that just to adjust to the time difference! Not to mention the climate! He should be spending a month with them before coming over as well.so much work to be done...2 days? Ffs!

DlEHARD

Juniors
Very disheartening to hear he won't even meet the players until they touch down in townsville...2 days before a game! I would have thought they would have been here longer than that just to adjust to the time difference! Not to mention the climate! He should be spending a month with them before coming over as well.so much work to be done...2 days? Ffs!

Two days, that's disgraceful. What hope for any impact on the players, next to none.

morningstar

Juniors
Two days, that's disgraceful. What hope for any impact on the players, next to none.

I agree it's pretty poor form but McDermott states he meets the players two days before the warm up game not the first game of the cup. Nothing has been announced for this game yet, could be two weeks before the tournament starts for all we know.

Golden point

Juniors
I agree it's pretty poor form but McDermott states he meets the players two days before the warm up game not the first game of the cup. Nothing has been announced for this game yet, could be two weeks before the tournament starts for all we know.
Yes a warm up game.... a perfect time to put to the test all the training and combinations you have been working on for the last month!
I suppose the positive is that they will have an excuse as to why they get flogged!
I hope Canada gets in next time.

MKCS

Juniors
I have no problem with domestic players if they are the best players for the job. EG PNG uses tons of their local domestic players but it's warranted because they're the best in the positions.

Lebanon is coming into this thing ideally hoping to win (Slim chance, but still) or at least look strong and they're playing against both Australia and England. Why not fill your starting 17 with the very best players possible whilst giving the remaining 8 spots to domestic players to learn from these guys.

Robbie Farah, Josh Mansour, Michael Lichaa, Mitchell Moses and Tim Mannah are just 5 players.

hutch

First Grade
I have no problem with domestic players if they are the best players for the job. EG PNG uses tons of their local domestic players but it's warranted because they're the best in the positions.

Lebanon is coming into this thing ideally hoping to win (Slim chance, but still) or at least look strong and they're playing against both Australia and England. Why not fill your starting 17 with the very best players possible whilst giving the remaining 8 spots to domestic players to learn from these guys.

Robbie Farah, Josh Mansour, Michael Lichaa, Mitchell Moses and Tim Mannah are just 5 players.

Because they will never, ever need to develop their own players if they don't have an incentive to do so. There should a minimum domestic rule for all squads imo.

morningstar

Juniors
40 Man train on squad and an apparent back flip on the number of domestics...

http://www.rlwc2017.com/news/fittler-names-big-guns-lebanon-train-squad

The majority of the squad are from NRL or other Australian-based clubs but five domestic players have been included and one will be selected for the World cup.

The inclusion of at least one domestic player in the final 24-man squad demonstrates the importance that the Lebanon Rugby League Federation places on home grown development.

Lebanon Cedars 40 Man Squad

Mark Daoud (Asquith); Jamie Clark, Ahmad Ellaz, Abraham el Zakhem, Elie el Zakhem, Adnan el Zbaidieh (Auburn Warriors); Mario Boustani, Chris Saab, Nick Kassis (Blacktown Workers); Kayne Kalache, Michael Lichaa, Raymond Moujalli (Canterbury Bulldogs); Imad Chidiac (Jounieh RLFC); Ben Chahoud (Hills Bulls); Wael Harb, Raymond Sabat (Lycans FC); Bilal Maarbani (Manly Sea Eagles); Abbas Miski (North Sydney Bears); Anthony Layoun, Tim Mannah, Mitchell Moses (Parramatta Eels); Adam Doueihi, Robbie Farah (South Sydney Rabbitohs); Ali Abou Arabi (Tripoli RLFC); Danny Barakat, Mitchell Mammary, Tarek el Masri, Elias Sukkar (Wentworthville); Alex Twal, Bernard Kairouz, Jaleel Seve Derbas, Christian Yassmin (Wests Tigers); James Elias (West Newcastle); Toufic el Hage (Wolves RLFC).

adamkungl

Immortal
Dont think theres been a backflip, the original quote was
“WITH THE WORLD CUP LOOMING, THE COACHING STAFF WILL BE LOOKING TO PICK A MINIMUM OF FIVE PLAYERS FROM THIS SQUAD TO BE PART OF THAT CAMPAIGN,”

Deliberately vague. Part of campaign is not = in the final 24 man squad.

adamkungl

Immortal
Of the 34 players named

Sydney Cup 7
Newcastle RL 1
NSW Cup 10
NYC 6
NRL 5 (Lichaa, Mannah, Moses, Farah, Twal)
Lebanon 5

That is a pretty shitty squad tbh lol

France will have more SL players than they have NRL players. 15 in their 32 man squad. Also more Championship players than Lebanon have NSW Cup players.

Australian arrogance will probably see them as favourites though.

morningstar

Juniors
Good article on the 5 domestic Lebanon players, they are all being flown out to Australia and will get to train before the final cut to 24....

https://www.albawaba.com/sport/lebanon-players’-opportunity-lifetime-rubgy-league-world-cup-1026176

Lebanese players’ opportunity of a lifetime at Rubgy League World Cup

For five local Lebanese rugby league players, the chance to compete in the upcoming Rugby League World Cup is the opportunity of a lifetime. Although it is still a fringe sport in Lebanon, rugby is hugely popular in Australia, where the World Cup is being held. Lebanon’s team, the Cedars, is largely made up of Australian players of Lebanese origin.

Australia hosts a significant Lebanese diaspora, and there are many players of Lebanese heritage in the country’s competitive National Rugby League.

Imad Chidiac, a 21-year-old from Bikfaya, currently studying petroleum engineering at the Lebanese American University, is one of the five local players joining the Cedars at the World Cup. “Most of the guys that are there, I used to watch them on YouTube or TV, so to be part of the whole thing is very exciting,” he told The Daily Star.

Chidiac normally plays for the Immortals team, but the Lebanese league is currently in its off-season.

Chidiac is in training for the tournament, and spoke to The Daily Star at Raw Fitness gym in Jounieh. The gym is run by Raymond Sabat, 20, from Zouk Mikael. Sabat is also one the five-man group traveling to Australia, hoping to be selected to play alongside his heroes.

Both players are aware that because of the gulf in experience between the players from the Lebanese league and those in Australia, it is possible that they might not see any game time at the World Cup. The five domestic Lebanese players have been named as part of a 40-strong initial selection for the Cedars squad.

Once in Australia, after the players have had a chance to train alongside each other, the squad will be further reduced to 24, of which at least one will be a domestic Lebanese player.

Of the 24-man squad, 17 will be picked for each game, with 13 on the field at any one time, and four on the bench. “No-one has their position booked on the team,” Sabat said. “We have to go out there and train hard and prove we’re good enough.”

Whether or not they get to play in the tournament itself, the experience will be invaluable for helping to develop rugby in Lebanon. “We have to learn as much as we can so we can bring it back here,” Chidiac said.

Sabat intends to use everything he learns in Australia to help the next generation of Lebanese rugby players develop. “I started up a school team four years back, and I’m still coaching them now. ... Every year I have about 20 to 30 new guys come in. These people are going to be the future of the game.”

oth players are deeply passionate about the sport.

“Rugby is a minirepresentation of what life is. It’s tough and you have to keep going whenever it gets tougher,” Chidiac said.

Sabat was born and raised in Australia, where his parents moved during the Civil War. Rugby was a part of his life from his early childhood.

“Ever since I was 4 years old I used to drive past my team stadium ... and I used to tell my dad, I want to be on that billboard one day.” The family returned to Lebanon six years ago and now, he says he “can’t see myself anywhere else,” but initially, the transition was not an easy one. “The only thing that was able to get me through was rugby.”

Both the players know that they face significant hurdles to get more Lebanese interested in rugby. “It’s going to take time,” Sabat said. He suggested the problem was not with rugby specifically, but with wider problems surrounding sports culture in the country as a whole. “With Lebanon, sport isn’t always a priority and you can see that through the schools mainly. ... It’s all about the culture. In Australia you have very high priority for sports so I feel like the rise of rugby will happen through the rise of sports in Lebanon.”

Rugby league was first introduced to Lebanon in the late 1990s, when the Lebanese Rugby League was established by a group of Lebanese-origin players in Australia.

For smaller competitions, the Cedars normally field a team of Australian-based players for games in Australia and the Pacific, and a separate team of domestic players for games around Europe and the Mediterranean. The Cedars first competed in the Rugby League World Cup in 2000; they have not qualified for the tournament since, but beat South Africa in 2015 to reach the group stages for the first time in 17 years.

At this year’s World Cup, the Cedars will face tough competition in their efforts to progress past the group stages. They only need to win one game out of three to do so, but two of those games are against formidable English and Australian teams. They will therefore be focusing on their first game, against France, on Oct. 29.

While this will be Chidiac’s first time in Australia, Sabat is looking forward to returning to the town of his birth, which will host Lebanon’s game against the tournament’s host nation. “The big game is going to be against Australia,” he said. “Sydney has a lot of Lebanese, so it’s going to be a [good atmosphere] to see who’s coming out to support Lebanon.”

Information on how to watch the Cedars in the Rugby League World Cup can be found at lebanonrl.com.

kbw

Bench
From what I have seen they will be a very passionate side, with 1000s of very passionate supporters.
The Lebanese rugby League federation are working very hard with Australian based officials.
It doesn't matter if the domestic players get a run or not, but the opportunity to be around NRL players and train at quality facilities will be very beneficial.
The Australian based players are extremely excited to be representing Lebanon and are taking it very seriously