What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lee is back!

Iafeta

Referee
I've said the same thing about our Kiwi cricketers, one innings or spell doesn't make a summer. I say the same thing about our up and coming Warriors.

Its not just this summer that his form has waivered. In the test scene over the past 2 years he's averaged nearly 40 with the ball. He's probably got a bit of lucky treatment by the selectors considering the likes of Martin Love, Mike Hussey etc. certainly didn't fail miserably but are quickly put on the back burners. Yes, they are batsmen, Lee is a bowler, but much the same.

I still don't think he's been the same since that shoulder injury. I'm not saying that because he's Australian - honestly, Jason Gillespie and Glenn McGrath are world class seam bowlers. Brett Lee is hit and miss at times. Three/Four years ago, the guy was a freak. Absolutely brilliant. I just think he's let it get to his head a bit and has been lucky to be retained especially in the test team. ODIs, not so bad, his figures are actually extremely good.

If Lee rips through them two or three times, then he's really back. If he goes for 1-84 again, we'll see. I hope for his sake he is back, he can be fun to watch even from an opponents perspective (unless you're the poor sod batting), but he needs to back it up with a few more consistent performances. Good luck to him anyway.

Macca

Coach
Not many of the LEE bashers have said much have they. :roll:

Iafeta???? If he played for NZ he'd be your best since Hadlee (a wanker but a great bowler)

Are you forgetting the WC when he was our best bowler? Wait til McGrath and Warne are back, we'll be unbeatable again.

India pffft, got some great batsmen but no bowlers in the McGrath, Warne, Gillespie, Lee & Williams category. Nope not even Harbajhan.

Iafeta

Referee
Pity McSharkie that Shane Bond has a superior record. Ask Brad Hogg how good his yorker is. We're happy with Bond, thank you very much. Won't like to hear it, but its a fact.

One good roll in the park doesn't make a summer. Quicks generally have fun at the WACA, particularly against subcontinental teams. I'd like to see Australia's record there, I'd say it'd be pretty useful - not many teams would be used to the speed of the WACA track. It gives them a distinct advantage, just as Calcutta gives India an advantage.

I'll be taking more interest in his performances in the finals. If he does well, all well and good, but one good roll doesn't make a summer. There's plenty more for him to prove. As for Lee bashers not saying much, Andy Bichel pretty much did - and to a degree he is right. Not completely, but to a degree.

Macca

Coach
One good roll this may not make this summer, but his record at the WC certainly spoke for itself. He is still recovering from his surgery. The knockers just didn't wait long enough, the will disappear soon. I don't put you in this category mate, you seem fairly objective.

As for Shane Bond, he's good, his record may be better but I'd choose Lee every day of the week and twice on Sunday over him.

Iafeta

Referee
Just my own opinion, I'd take Bond. Swings it both ways and has an absolutely deadly yorker. Maybe thats the Kiwi in me, we rarely have a bowler that quick so to us it is very very exciting.

Brett Lee did have a fantastic World Cup - he knocked us over easily. But then again, Andy Bichel had a top world cup. Look where he is now? Damien Martyn played well in the final, and looks in trouble.

I agree on the surgery, I think that held him back immensely. His start to his career was unbelievable, it was actually quite scarey as an on looker watching how he was too quick for pretty much everyone. The only times recently I've felt the same was the Bond spell against Australia in SA, and Shoaib Akhter in Wellington - now THAT was quick! I hope he does come back to his best, and Bond recovers from his injury, because three quickies like Bond, Akhter and Lee going around at the same time is damn exciting to watch.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Very well said Iafeta.

A Kiwi that can see both sides of an argument.

You are a very rare comodity.

And I totally agree with your comments on Bond, Lee and Akthar.

I'm sure all of us will be happy to see Bond at his best again.

Macca

Coach
Fair points. I'll say this though, you wouldn't want them all in the same side. Sure they are all quick but the good batsmen adjust easily enough. It's the line and length bowlers that you really have to worry about. It's when they get going that Lee and co. perform at their best at the other end.

Iafeta

Referee
Marto could - at Brian Lara Cricket or something on the Playstation! Not quite the same since Fleming put a Venus Fly Trap field at point and bowled short and wide to him.

Imagine a World Series involving the Pakis, New Zealand and Australia. Lee, Gillespie, Williams, Bond, Butler, Sami and Akhtar caning the speed ball radar comp. Its rare to see Gilchrist hurried, but Bond did with a couple of inswinging yorkers, and Akhtar and Lee are probably a click quicker than him. That'd be awesome to watch. CARRRNNNAGGEE as Griegy says.

Interesting finals ahead - if Lee turns it on again, the Indians are in trouble. If he's two/three centimetres off, the Indians will carve him up. Thats the beauty of cricket and especially fast bowling.

Anonymous

Juniors
I've gotta say, reading all those arguments, if I could choose between Lee and Bond, I'd take Bond.

HOWEVER

Lee was an absolute phenomenon before his injury. Additionally, he seemed to go through a rut when Steve Waugh was axed as ODI captain, as he wanted Lee bowling 100 mph all the time, while Ponting wanted him bowling slower and conceding less runs. Bond, whilst he has come back from injuries before, has never had quite a substantial lay off from international cricket. He's never had the problem of two captains with two gameplans either.

I think I'll reserve judgement on Bond until he comes back from injury.

As for Lee, well, now that he has the same captain, maybe it'll lead to a form turnaround.