What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Left field recruitment

Gareth67

First Grade
We have the following fullback prospects:
Dufty - I believe his best position would be at 6.
Ramsey - He looks to be our long term fullback
Schiller - Could play anywhere in the back 5
Sailor - Will go to Brisbane
Lomax - Should satay at right centre

For me, we have quite a few good outside backs coming through. Sign the Morris Brothers and let these players push for NRL selection. B morris at 2 and J Morris at 4 could solve our left side issues. Saab at 5 and Lomax at 3 are well matched on the right.. Ramsey and B Morris to switch during a game as required.

The think the sticking point in that suggestion - Morris brothers - is that they will both see out their careers with the Rorters and and should they are still be playing after that , then they may be needing walking sticks .

We missed the boat with Brett when he became available so there will be no 3rd opportunity.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
The think the sticking point in that suggestion - Morris brothers - is that they will both see out their careers with the Rorters and and should they are still playing after that they will be needing walking sticks .

We missed the boat with Brett when he became available so there will be no 3 opportunity.

Highly unlikely that the Morris twins would want to come back to us even if we pay them overs and even if Mary wasn't with us. Now that they are together at the Roosters and I would imagine just loving it there, why would they come back to a joint that is inferior in many aspects of management etc? Brett said in an interview that he thinks the Roosters club is the best he has ever been a part of and now that Josh is there this will be their final club in the NRL and if they win a premiership this year, that would be the icing on the cake for them.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
With both Southern Hemisphere rugby codes in a tailspin engulfed in a global crisis, there is one untested solution that would provide a significant payday once action is able to resume.
The idea of an All Blacks/Kangaroos cross-code hybrid test has been floated in the past, but has never got off the ground. Some estimates in 2017 suggested the Test would fetch $50 million.

With both calendars jam-packed, it was a stretch to get both parties to work together to get it scheduled.
However, as Warren Gatland recently suggested, now is a chance to re-look at things. Everything that was off the table before could now potentially be back on it.

At the beginning of the sport, rugby league split off as a faction from rugby union over a financial dispute.

Now with both codes in Australasia needing cash, could money be the thing that brings them back together?

Controversy sells. Hostility sells. Emotion sells. There are few backstories filled with more hostility and division as the two rugby codes going back over 100 years.

The players from the rugby clubs in the North of England wanted to be paid, and that was against the RFU rules. The clubs rebelled and created an all-new inclusive code in rugby league.

Rugby league was made for every man and quickly spread across the globe in defiance of rugby union administrators, who predicted with regularity it would die.

Union players who defected to the code were banned for life from returning.

The two codes have gone in separate directions for more than 100 years, ignoring each other, divided as ever. But union eventually followed the path that created league in the first place, turning professional and becoming a commercial venture.

There exists a subset of fans that cross over, but that is the minority.

This is exactly why it would provide the theatre to draw in fans from both sides, with divided loyalties already set. Bringing two sets of mutually exclusive fans together. A boxing promoter couldn’t dream of a better situation to hype up.

99% of the players are unlikely to have to ever play alongside their opponents, allowing them to be free to express themselves without retribution, with administrators on either side happy to lob grenades on the other code.

Part of the growing malaise in professional rugby is its sterilized nature with few prepared to sell interest in the game with unmeasured honesty or bold arrogance.

Unfortunately, that vanilla approach doesn’t create interest. Perhaps only Eddie Jones knows this in the modern game.

This kind of clash would allow for a return to unbridled tribalism, backed by a larger story than either code.

Even pre-crisis, both isolated codes were, and are, under attack from youth indifference, globalization of far more powerful US sports, and the rise of e-sports and gaming.

Rugby league and rugby union aren’t competing solely with each other, rather the wider entertainment market, whether they realise that or not.

They should be finding ways to unite and collaborate to strengthen each other as the existential threats grow.

Leveraging each other through a hybrid test would work to grow each other’s audience and provide a cash injection. League fans may appreciate the power of Ardie Savea and the skills of Beauden Barrett, leading them to watch more union, and vice versa.

The All Blacks struggle to find consistent Trans-Tasman competition from the Wallabies after 15 years of Bledisloe domination.

The rivalry only exists in memory and historic relevance as the contest has become the most lopsided of any in World Rugby.

For Australian rugby league fans, the domestic state fixture State of Origin is widely held as the pinnacle of their game, illustrating how little regard international rugby league holds.

Pitting the All Blacks versus the Kangaroos would put two of the best rugby sides on this side of the world against each other.

The worst-case scenario is a one-off payday that flops but puts cash in the bank to help recoup the losses from this season.

The best-case scenario is uncovering an annual series that spins top dollar for years and becomes the premier event of Australasian sport.

Is that not worth a try?

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/time...cks-kangaroos-hybrid-test-once-sport-returns/
I’d love to see the AB’s vs the Roos, problem is the rules. It would almost certainly be predominantly Rugby rules which just wouldn’t work because we don’t have any flankers for the breakdown or locks in the lineouts etc. plus their props are built so much in terms of scrummaging at the expense of athleticism that if the scrums were like theirs we’d get smoked and if their scrums were like ours they would get smoked in general play. But if they could find a happy middle ground somehow it would be great.

TruSaint

Referee
The think the sticking point in that suggestion - Morris brothers - is that they will both see out their careers with the Rorters and and should they are still playing after that they will be needing walking sticks .

We missed the boat with Brett when he became available so there will be no 3rd opportunity.

Brett was a freak and his brother a damn fine player.
They should see out their careers as winners.

Knowing us, we will recruit the pair as coaches after they win another title with the chooks.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

For me, we have quite a few good outside backs coming through. Sign the Morris Brothers and let these players push for NRL selection. B morris at 2 and J Morris at 4 could solve our left side issues. Saab at 5 and Lomax at 3 are well matched on the right.. Ramsey and B Morris to switch during a game as required.
Possm, when I said left field I didn't mean that left field. I meant something realistic like getting Michael Jordan to play in the centres for us, not something totally unrealistic like promoting our own juniors. And when I say our juniors I actually mean great young talent that Millward spotted from around the country like Ramsey, Lomax, Feagai's, Blacker, Saab etc.

blue bags

First Grade
I’d love to see the AB’s vs the Roos, problem is the rules. It would almost certainly be predominantly Rugby rules which just wouldn’t work because we don’t have any flankers for the breakdown or locks in the lineouts etc. plus their props are built so much in terms of scrummaging at the expense of athleticism that if the scrums were like theirs we’d get smoked and if their scrums were like ours they would get smoked in general play. But if they could find a happy middle ground somehow it would be great.
roughly proposed rules , would be be no lineouts, 14 a side. 8 tackles,rucks per set, league scrums non contested, and a few more changes

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Definitely I agree about Lomax Sataying at right centre.
Satay .jpg

blacksafake

First Grade
Personally I'm not mad keen on high priced wingers. There's a young kid at Manly who plays fullback Josh Schuster and will be blocked in his path to first grade by Turbo. He was the SG Ball player of the year in 2019 and worth rolling the dice on. I know we have our own juniors but this kid barring injury is one out of the box
Have heard very good opinions of him.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Personally I'm not mad keen on high priced wingers. There's a young kid at Manly who plays fullback Josh Schuster and will be blocked in his path to first grade by Turbo. He was the SG Ball player of the year in 2019 and worth rolling the dice on. I know we have our own juniors but this kid barring injury is one out of the box
Don't know him but this is exactly what I have indicated before. Scour the CC sides for the players that have the creds but are not getting a run. You have to take a punt. If Saab does good keep him if not go looking

Slackboy72

Coach
Tom Banks just looks good because he's playing in a well coached side for a professionally run, if under-resourced, organisation.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Tom Banks just looks good because he's playing in a well coached side for a professionally run, if under-resourced, organisation.
We could learn a lot from the Brumbies. They seem to have no trouble attracting players due to their culture even though Canberra isn’t the most attractive place for young people to move. I do think Rugby players do tend to think about their career progression more than where the best cafe or nightlife is. In saying all this Banks is fast and strong a lot of the opportunities he makes himself with footwork or tackle breaks. He’s like a poor mans Tedesco to me. I think he’d make it, but I also think he’d make it in the south of France.