What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legal Question

Parki

Bench
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could help me

At the moment, im trying to get a petition in regards to my footy team going, im just concerned as to the legalities of doing so. I know they dont have much power to stop me talking to people outside the grounds before the gates open, but as to whether or not id legally be able to take my matter inside to the people, im a bit confused about. So im asking for legal advice, i dont want to get arrested or thrown out because i did something illegal, after all I am there first and foremost to watch the game.

Anyone that could let me know, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Colonel

Immortal
Depends on what your petition is about. If you were "caught" inside with your petition and its something they weren't impressed with they'd chuck you out - if they notice you outside its likely you'll be warned off.

avsterooster

Juniors
a 'ticket' as such is not a contractual document it is merely a receipt

look around for signs at entry points in the ground

if there is nothing around the entrance or inside in the terms of signs or entry issues you should have no issue with your petition

Sadfish

Juniors
i've done quite a few petitions in the past, you wont be able to do them inside the ground WITHOUT consent from the club. I'd assume the club wont do this, therefore, you can only do the petition OFF of the clubs land, on the path perhaps leading up it or some other public property is the best best, you must think about the best position for the petition, ie covering themain entrances, but you MUST NOT become a nuisnace, and you MUST NOT become an obstruction.

So basically, if you have a few people with clipboards thats fine on public property, but if you are blocking entrances with tables, or footpaths due to the amount of people wanting to sign, then the Police wont be happy.

Most petitions take quite a few matches to get up to the right speed, maybe do flyers as well, so that people passing by know what the petition is about and maybe the following week they will sign.

Good luck.

Razor

Coach
i've done quite a few petitions in the past, you wont be able to do them inside the ground WITHOUT consent from the club. I'd assume the club wont do this, therefore, you can only do the petition OFF of the clubs land, on the path perhaps leading up it or some other public property is the best best, you must think about the best position for the petition, ie covering themain entrances, but you MUST NOT become a nuisnace, and you MUST NOT become an obstruction.

Not sure about the law in NSW, but in QLD you are required to get a license(or doing it behalf of a registered organisation with the authority to do it) if you wish to be able to offer a petition to be signed on public land. However the QLD police never enforce it unless they receive a complaint from the public or surrounding businesses and they rarely complain.

Fibroman

First Grade
Speak to the club president about the matter.

In any case, it would not constitute a criminal offence. You may leave yourself open to civil action if your actions affect the club's ability to conduct business and causes some financial loss or harms the reputation of the club.

Big Tim

First Grade
I know this is the wrong place to ask, but Parki wont mind.

I am trying to post a new thread, when I hit submit it says that the message needs to be more than 3 characters. It is 8-10 lines of writing. I dont understand. Any help will be great.