What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leon Bott

JimSeeFanClub

Juniors
pogo said:
so was darren clarke................

and phil dotti !!

Now your talking. Phil Dotti is one of the all time great Sharks wingers. I used to love to watch him play. Too bad he played most of his games in reserve grade.

carcharias

Immortal
Leon Bott
HorizontalLongWhite.gif

LeonBott3.jpg
Age: 19 Date of Birth: October 30, 1986 Height: 175cm (1.75m) Weight: 90kg NRL Games: 25 Tries: 14 Goals: 0 Field Goals: 0 Points: 56
Position: Wing/centre

Season 2005 started in a blaze of glory for this schoolboy, but ended with him watching from the sidelines – dropped from the team. Chunky, strong, lightning quick and supremely talented, Leon no doubt felt the pressure of a long first-up stint in the NRL and his late-season form mirrored that. Now free of his Year 12 studies as well as the ‘kid’ image, much more is expected from the youngster in the season ahead. And he has already been thrown a sizeable challenge, with Kiwi newcomer Fraser Anderson snatching from him his ‘quickest Bronco’ tag.

FACT: When Leon was named Broncos ‘Rookie of the Year’ in 2005, he became the seventh winger to win the award, behind Brent Tate, Lote Tuqiri, Mick DeVere, Willie Carne, Wendell Sailor and Michael Hancock.
News and Features

bott1.jpg

Here's a slice of Bronco's propaganda about him.

Bott strikes telling blow
Monday March 28, 2005
It’s not often an 18-year-old can excite Wayne Bennett. But with one burst of lightning speed on Friday night, new Broncos winger Leon Bott did just that.

Bott’s amazing 50m burst has been the talk of the town in rugby league circles this weekend and for once Bennett is happy to join those in awe of the talented youngster.

With the game in the balance, Bott took a long ball flat-footed, 10m in from touch and with three Roosters defenders bearing down on him.

Without a second thought he took off, leaving renowned speedsters Ryan Cross and Craig Wing grasping at thin air.

"He's quick," Bennett said after the match.

"Those three guys thought they had him covered and they're pretty good players those guys. They had good angles on him and he just kept going away from them.

"It's nice to have a quick winger, we haven't had one since Lote Tuqiri. Leon hasn't played a lot of rugby league, if he's played any at all, until this year but he's football smart. He reacts to situations really good, he positions himself very well ... you just want a winger who can run like he can run.

"If you give him the ball in the right spot you know he's going to get to the tryline for you.

"He's an absolute threat, he's not big and bulky but he's got genuine speed and I know who I'd rather not be marking up against because he's going to get you with that speed."

The 18-year-old Gap High School student had never played rugby league before this year, but was chased hard by several NRL clubs after dazzling displays for the Australian Schoolboys Rugby sides in 2003 and 2004.

Still, Bennett admits he had plenty of reservations about whether Bott – who was an Australian 100m and 200m sprint champion – was ready for the step up to A Grade football.

"I questioned myself a little bit about it all," Bennett said.

"I thought it might have been a bit unfair to him . . . we've got big Tame Tupou sitting at home there and I made a decision not to play Tame and I went with Leon.

“It’s just great to have that sort of finishing ability out wide.”

Bennett was not alone in his praise for the youngster, with Brent Tate describing him as “the fastest player he had ever played with or against”.

Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer agreed with Tate, adding Bott could well be the man Brisbane have been looking for to complete their premiership jigsaw.

“Over the last few years we have put ourselves in attacking positions a lot but have struggled to finish,” Lockyer said.

“Having the confidence to throw the ball wide and know a bloke with Leon’s pace and power is out there is a huge bonus.”
http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?start=1&CompetitorID=608&TopMenuID=266&MenuID=277

Well I for one am happy to have a bloke who is touted as pretty quick.

Does anyone else see what I see????

No webster...
Covell to centre ( defense is good and just as quick as Bailey )
Bott to wing maybe???

I have no idea.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I was only wondering what happened to this guy the other day. He was going to be huge and then disappeared. What caused him to incur the wrath of wayne?

sharknows

Bench
The kid obviously has talent and speed to burn. Looking forward to seeing him display it in the black white and blue.

Inferno

Coach
overtaken by Darius Boyd and a few other young wingers.

In the cold light of day can anyone confirm or deny this rumour yet?

Also anyone know how much we paid?

sharkmachine07

Juniors
i think he could be albets replacment in 2/3 years time but i would put him in there now
1 simmo
2 albet
3 vags
4 covell
5 bott
that is the fastes backline in the comp for sure.

Nuffs

Bench
Inferno said:
overtaken by Darius Boyd and a few other young wingers.

In the cold light of day can anyone confirm or deny this rumour yet?

Also anyone know how much we paid?

inferno, we signed him. fullstop. not rumour. fact!

and we probably paid too much

Mr Saab

Referee
Can you guys take Scott Minto too please...we will even throw in a set of stake knives.

carcharias

Immortal
Mr Saab said:
Can you guys take Scott Minto too please...we will even throw in a set of stake knives.
Isn't he the camera man dude that came out of obscurity to play for the Broncos?

If so ...no thanks

We play out of the shire ...we have a long history of glamorous looking centres.