What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Les Catalans vs Hull FC. Challenge Cup quarter final.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Sorry for the delay, the site is going very slow, Hull have kicked a drop goal to lead 17 16 and just as I post this, Catalans hit back with their own Drop goal.

17 all.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, I've only just gotten back on.

Seems like Catalans took the advantage when Godwin(?) was off for ten minutes.

Good on 'em! Hope they get a home semi.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Oh ffs, this has taken me 20 minutes to post this, bloody site :x

Hull scored in injury time, the final score was Catalans 26 Hull FC 23.

Well done to Les Catalans, into the last 4, anything can happen now. :D

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
bartman said:
Yeah, I've only just gotten back on.

Seems like Catalans took the advantage when Godwin(?) was off for ten minutes.

Good on 'em! Hope they get a home semi.

Frustrating isn't it lol

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
I had a go at Gwilym. But his partner David Doyle Davidson makes Gwilym Lloyd look like the angel of objectivity. David Doyle Davidson was continually denouncing the referee Ashley Klein as a clown, and as a disgrace. DDD is a disgrace to radio commentary.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
There are no home games in the Challenge Cup semis. Both semis are to be held at a neutral ground.

The draw will be held at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday at 12.45 pm London time. (That is 9.45 pm Sydney time). The worst result would be for Les Catalans to be drawn to face St. Helens. The best result would be to be drawn to face Wigan.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The only team that has given Catalans a touch up has been Saints, lets hope they don't draw them and the Saints get knocked out by who ever they come up against, a bout of the flu would help :lol:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
AlbertRosenfeld said:
I had a go at Gwilym. But his partner David Doyle Davidson makes Gwilym Lloyd look like the angel of objectivity. David Doyle Davidson was continually denouncing the referee Ashley Klein as a clown, and as a disgrace. DDD is a disgrace to radio commentary.

They are pathetic, I might send them an email sometime when I listen to them again.

bartman

Immortal
AlbertRosenfeld said:
There are no home games in the Challenge Cup semis. Both semis are to be held at a neutral ground.
Ah, a shame then this game couldn't have been a home draw. I suspect that then Galpharm Stadium and depending on the draw maybe Halliwell Jones will be used.

Still great achievement for Catalans to make the semi-finals.

bartman

Immortal
RE commentators, the trouble is that the BBC programming is so regionalised. Essentially they are calling the game for their regional listeners, who will be lapping up the bias because they want to hear things about their local team's perspective.

I'm not sure they have cottoned on at how there are people outside of those traditional radio target geographic areas that are listening more and more - or have the money dedicated to things like training sports commentators to adapt their styles for a broader market. The rugby league TV commentators here a case in point...

screeny

Bench
Firstly, don't get too annoyed by the Radio Hull boys: it's all part and parcel of regional radio. I think it's quite refreshing not having 'neutral' commentators once in a while, and for regional radio it's acceptable.

Secondly, glad to see Bosc playing at 6.

Finally, I will take any bets on it being a Saints Cats semi final. The old ball in the fridge ploy will be employed.

bartman

Immortal
I just think with BBC TV games, we are not doing our game a good service with the quality of commentator we provide for the nation's viewing pleasure. Not so much a bias issue there, but more a knowledge and communication opportunity lost.

screeny said:
Finally, I will take any bets on it being a Saints Cats semi final. The old ball in the fridge ploy will be employed.
:lol: :shock:

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
Leaving aside the bias issue, I find that few English commentators keep up with the play. They digress to extended commentary about a player's characteristics, or about a past move, very often in the middle of important ongoing action.

Anyone who listens to Australian radio broadcasts, be it ABC or 2GB, will know that they do not let that happen. As soon as the action hots up they break from any meandering and go right back to calling the game.

Plus the Aussie commentators will always tell you exactly where the play is, and they know who the players are, who is running with the ball, who is tackling etc. That is rarely achieved with English game callers.

Ari Gold

Bench
AlbertRosenfeld said:

The draw will be held at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday at 12.45 pm London time. (That is 9.45 pm Sydney time). The worst result would be for Les Catalans to be drawn to face St. Helens. The best result would be to be drawn to face Wigan.

Barcelona would be considered neutral wouldnt it?

I bet they draw Saints. The RFL will want a Saints/Catalans semi and a Wigan/Bradford semi. That way Catalans are less likely to make the final and a Saints/Wigan final is a possibility.