What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let not let the Knight become the new Souths

oldman

Juniors
As much as I love our old players , I have to say that we need to guard against continuing to live in the past - like Souths were doing.

Today we have seen old players (named and unnamed) commenting on the current problems and saying things like " that's not the way things are done around here' , 'this is a players club' , Newcastle is different to everyother club because of our history".

Now where have i heard that before! - yes it sounds just like all those old Souths players / officals that held back the club for so long by trying to hold onto THIER glory days and not change.

It's a similar thing to what happened to Parramatta after they lost all the great 80's players . They struggled by holding on to that time by recycling those players as coach etc etc until Smith come in and changed things.

Have a look at the 20 year team and how many of those players played together almost all of them - it was generational.

We now need to move to a new generation if not we will being like all those old South supports who (until very recently) looked at their team as though it was still the team from the sixties not now .

perverse

Referee
don't worry.. we hired the right man to nip it in the butt. why do you think our players are in the paper saying this crap? the change is already in full swing.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Something has to be done, but not the way Smith is doing it. The reason I go for the Knights is because of it's culture and how close the player group and fans are, his killing it softly and slowy. Knights wont be recognisable when his finished and he will leave it in shambles.

perverse

Referee
Tims Ball Sweat said:
Something has to be done, but not the way Smith is doing it. The reason I go for the Knights is because of it's culture and how close the player group and fans are, his killing it softly and slowy. Knights wont be recognisable when his finished and he will leave it in shambles.
i don't get what the people that are doubting smith are missing here... we've had one of the greatest players ever to lace a pair of boots since professionalism in our sport was born... and as such our club never had to make the transition from 'old boys footy team' to 'professional sports club'. guess what? JOEY ISN'T HERE AND HE ISN'T COMING BACK. our club cannot compete in the competition as it now stands with the same laid back attitude. big changes needed to occur, egos needed to be shattered and players needed to be fired post haste. smith has delivered in spades and is probably one of the few coaches that truly has the balls to do what has needed to be done.

other coaches may have gone about this with better tact - but i strongly doubt they could have shed the amount of dead wood that smith has managed to without ruffling an equal number of feathers.

so tims ball sweat - you can either continue to cry about what the club is doing and subscribe to the telecrap "doom and gloom" theory... or you can see that this may be one of the most exciting times in our clubs history.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
perverse said:
i don't get what the people that are doubting smith are missing here... we've had one of the greatest players ever to lace a pair of boots since professionalism in our sport was born... and as such our club never had to make the transition from 'old boys footy team' to 'professional sports club'. guess what? JOEY ISN'T HERE AND HE ISN'T COMING BACK. our club cannot compete in the competition as it now stands with the same laid back attitude. big changes needed to occur, egos needed to be shattered and players needed to be fired post haste. smith has delivered in spades and is probably one of the few coaches that truly has the balls to do what has needed to be done.

other coaches may have gone about this with better tact - but i strongly doubt they could have shed the amount of dead wood that smith has managed to without ruffling an equal number of feathers.

so tims ball sweat - you can either continue to cry about what the club is doing and subscribe to the telecrap "doom and gloom" theory... or you can see that this may be one of the most exciting times in our clubs history.

So just liek that I change my views on a club I have loved and followed my whole life? Just snap I'm suppose to change my views because the majority of people agree?

It's not easy seeing everything you have followed for 15 years thrown out the window in 6 months and then trying to accept it. Maybe in 3 years I will turn around and say yeh ok it needed to be done but that doesnt mean it couldn't have been done diferently and got the same or better result. Every person deserves respect until they have done something to ruin that and Smith hasn't respected one single player since coming to the club, its not in the Newcastle spirit and its not easy just to turn around and love Smith for being a disrepctful git.

Its like trying to turn a Muslim into a Hindu. Im not as open minded as you guys i guess, Smith is just threatnin to kill everything I have associated with my team for 15 years.

oldman

Juniors
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:

Hey Battler - Then how do you do it ? How do you change players who think they are Newcastle without hurting egos? You can not.

Is the team recognisable from the that ran on in the first ever game in anyway - playing style, staff, anything ? The answer is no. Did the club culture die ? again No

I can not see why we as supporters will not be close to the next crop of players - in fact I remember Ben K was hated when he came to the club and now he is people all time fav player (ok mine).

The last question i have is what do you think will happen to the team culture when we kept losing (remember our record without Joey and Smith) ?

perverse

Referee
the ONLY way the knights spirit will die is if we - the fans - stop supporting them.

no amount of player swapping will change that. if we divorce ourselves from the club because we don't agree with certain decisions that our officials make then it's not going to help anything.

darkness

Juniors
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:

I gotta agree with you, being a Bonco's supporter firstly, I felt they were unique in the sense they did there best to keep things as local as possible and that made you prouder of there success, which is why I like the Knights so much as well, whether they did that on purpose or not I dont know, but if people just want to see a premiership at whatever cost, then I guess the Knights will become just another franchise without any sentimental value other then being a brand. I dont think there was anything wrong with this years side at season beggining and only injury hurt them, at full strength I have no doubt they would be in the top 8, maybe even 5, but we will never know. Injury played in the administrations favor and there lack of success makes them think thats justifies there cleaning out for next year. I am not sure, replacing josh perry with the likes of Danny Wicks was very smart after seeing Tim Natusch put a good shot on him in PL. But thats just my opinion.

Frederick

Staff member
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
So just liek that I change my views on a club I have loved and followed my whole life? Just snap I'm suppose to change my views because the majority of people agree?

It's not easy seeing everything you have followed for 15 years thrown out the window in 6 months and then trying to accept it. Maybe in 3 years I will turn around and say yeh ok it needed to be done but that doesnt mean it couldn't have been done diferently and got the same or better result. Every person deserves respect until they have done something to ruin that and Smith hasn't respected one single player since coming to the club, its not in the Newcastle spirit and its not easy just to turn around and love Smith for being a disrepctful git.

Its like trying to turn a Muslim into a Hindu. Im not as open minded as you guys i guess, Smith is just threatnin to kill everything I have associated with my team for 15 years.
f**k me I don't think I've ever seen a more melodramatic overreaction than this post :lol:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:

Firstly, the Knights just simply WILL NOT turn into being the new Souths. That much I can assure you. For too long, all the players we've had are sure, home-grown players, but the fact remains that they were living off Joey. For too long, these players have been spoon fed their FG jumpers and now Joey's not there to tie their shoelaces for them, they don't like it.

I don't think Smith is ruining the culture, because as they said on the footy show last night (and yes I did watch it), the nucleus of the team we will have next year will be - shock horror - from the Newcastle system. Gidley, Mullen, Walsh, Buderus, Simpson, Paterson and the rest will fill in around them.

Change is inevitable in every walk of life, its how you react to it that is an indication of yourself. Buderus coming out and saying what he did was a complete backflip on what he said 6 days earlier. At the end of the day, the players aren't happy because they've got to think for themselves.

Simmo summed it up perfectly on NBN news last night and if Bedsy did in fact say what the telecr@p reported him saying, he should take a leaf out of Simmo's book. All Simmo said was "we're going through a bit of a change, but it's the way of life and we've got to move on with things".

Latest posts