What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets fix the pack next year

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
We can argue about positions as much as we like, but its pretty clear to me that we have a talented bunch of guys in the backs and whether Benji has a 6 or a 7 on his back wont make a massive difference.

If we want to be a club to really perform and win the tough contests its the forward pack we need to fill in.

Ellis and Tiquiri gone at the end of this year and the usual depth players who leave us should give up about $800k to play with I reckon.

We already spent a chunk on Anasta.

Today's Tele says that Brent Kite is on the outer at Manly.

He is the perfect player to fill in for a 2 year contract to help train up our young guys, who I think have something and help out. Extremely experienced, great defender and still runs straight and hard. Its with mindframe and technicals that he will actually help.

8 Galloway
9 Farah
10 Kite
11 Blair
12 Heighington / Fulton
13 Anasta

14 Woods
15 Groat
16 Bell
17 BMM

TiggaPlease

If Sheens is still here then there is no way in hell we'll have 3 props on the bench. Or 4 forwards.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
That poses another question -

So - we pretty much all want Sheens out -

Who would you replace him with?

Dymock did a good job with the Eels when he had them for those 12 games or so.....

TiggaPlease

Brownie has just resigned from Huddersfield after a fairly successful stint, I think he could be a very good fit.

blacklock

Juniors
heres what i dont understand...if the tigers forward pack isnt as imposing...why are they so busy trying to emulate other teams?

why not do what they excel at...throwing around the ball and getting second phase plays going. if they cant beat the other teams by brute force...why not fling the ball around and see what comes of it.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Today's Tele says that Brent Kite is on the outer at Manly.

He is the perfect player to fill in for a 2 year contract to help train up our young guys, who I think have something and help out. Extremely experienced, great defender and still runs straight and hard. Its with mindframe and technicals that he will actually help.

8 Galloway
9 Farah
10 Kite
11 Blair
12 Heighington / Fulton
13 Anasta

14 Woods
15 Groat
16 Bell
17 BMM

You mean:

8 Galloway
9 Farah
pillow.jpg

11 Blair
12 Heighington / Fulton
13 Anasta

Here's an idea.

Lose Fulton and Heighington finally. Groat is two years away from NRL.

Galloway, Woods, Blair, Moors, BMM, Bell.

Add: Simon Dwyer and two 110kg guys who can run straight and make their tackles. Don't have to be worldbeaters - Kite and Lussick would do fine. Melbourne put nufties in the front row and tell them to run straight and make tackles and they are seldom dominated.

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
SC - I would love Dwyer back - but it would be a miracle from all accounts.

Others - rather than criticise, maybe suggest something different.

Not every one of the 17 can be super stars, thats why we have a salary cap.

Criticise Kite all you like - but hes an origin player with serious finals experience.

Jesus - some people need to grow up.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kite would be too expensive and too far past it.

Also, Anasta would've taken up half of what was freed up. We still need a 7 and a prop.

We need to chase a young guy who would be cheaper than Kite and I think Bukuya or Tagatese would be better, and they'd be cheaper.

Jason King is better than Kite, as is Weyman. Kite is not an improvement on our current squad.

Also, I wouldn't dump both Hino and Fulton. One of the two maybe, and if it had to be one, It should be Hino. Fulton is a very good defender and has some utility value.

Utai should be cut as well. So Should Moltzen.

Bulli Tiger

Juniors
The Phantom Siren was on the BSB this morning saying we are chasing Shane Shackleton from Parra to cover our injury woes in the forwards this season.
The Phantom Siren is usually on the money.

vookie

Juniors
That poses another question -

So - we pretty much all want Sheens out -

Who would you replace him with?

Dymock did a good job with the Eels when he had them for those 12 games or so.....

Should never have let folkesy go IMO. Offer him the head coaching role.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
What we really DONT need is to spend money on more young props.

Experience over anything else atm for mine.
yes that has worked so well for us in the past.

Skando's last seven returns from retirement
Jason Cayless
The experience prop Blair lol

and who is our best beforming prop this year so far?

Aaron Woods.

Get some mid-20 year old props, enthusiastic.

Not tired old blokes looking for a super top up.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Should never have let folkesy go IMO. Offer him the head coaching role.
Dare I say it, even Simmons looks good compared to Sheens, especially after taking last years injury ravaged St Helens to the grand final with a bunch of kids.

leoc

Juniors
Folkesey should've been given the head coach gig, no doubt about it.
More inexperienced young props are not needed at the club. Woods does a fair job at the moment and will only get better with time. Groat has been thrown in at the deep end and is about a season away from making it as an Nrl starting prop but will get there. We need an experienced hard prop. Even Galloway would benefit from a prop that runs straight and hard and that stings in defence teaching them how it's meant to be.
Only 5 rounds down and the season is starting to get away, the fix needs to come in the next week or so otherwise 2012 will be back to us not making the 8.

Latest posts