What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's give the kiddies of Adelaide, Perth & Melbourne another option

Brutus

Referee
Kevin Spacey and his merry men are all about giving kids in Western Sydney an option to play a new sport (one that's actually been around for bloody ages) which is just so wholesome and sweet of them.

Considering the poor kiddies of Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne have been pretty much stuck with soccer and AFL all their lives, why doesn't the NRL blow the next TV deal budget by doing the same in those neglected states?

Then kiddies of all shapes and sizes around Australia will have options, options and more options and we can all live happilly together just like Andy Demetriou and Spacey want us to.

I might go watch an episode of the Brady Bunch now...

chrisc101

Juniors
Kevin Spacey and his merry men are all about giving kids in Western Sydney an option to play a new sport (one that's actually been around for bloody ages) which is just so wholesome and sweet of them.

Considering the poor kiddies of Adelaide, Perth and Melbourne have been pretty much stuck with soccer and AFL all their lives, why doesn't the NRL blow the next TV deal budget by doing the same in those neglected states?

Then kiddies of all shapes and sizes around Australia will have options, options and more options and we can all live happilly together just like Andy Demetriou and Spacey want us to.

If I hear this reasoning one more time I'm going to go crazy!! Guess what, the kids of Sydney already have a CHOICE!! Unlike their backward states if little Johnny wants to play Soccer, League, Union or AFL, he has that choice in Sydney. Has nothing to do with putting a senior team in the AFL. Just lies, lies and more lies, mixed in with a bit propaganda.

Brutus

Referee
If I hear this reasoning one more time I'm going to go crazy!! Guess what, the kids of Sydney already have a CHOICE!! Unlike their backward states if little Johnny wants to play Soccer, League, Union or AFL, he has that choice in Sydney. Has nothing to do with putting a senior team in the AFL. Just lies, lies and more lies, mixed in with a bit propaganda.

Spot on and sadly the NSW state government appears to have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

Brutus

Referee
I really feel sorry for those poor deprived Western Sydney kiddies who have had no AFL in their lives and no Sydney team to barrack for...hey wait a minute.

chrisc101

Juniors
Spot on and sadly the NSW state government appears to have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

I know and the Blacktown Council.

BUT I do think this is the opportunity League has to take in addressing certain issues which have crept into our sport, such as making it more accessible to little Johnny:

#1 I'd look at weight divisions. Need to counter their arguement that AFL is for the kid who might not be big enough for 'rugby'.

#2 I would like a closer association with touch (while in itself a sport) is a very strong segueway into league. This is our elephant in the room which no one talks about. If you throw in these participation numbers, I'm sure we'd rival soccer.

Goddo

Bench
While all the AFL types are worrying about wether spacey has dreamy eyes or not, it is a good oportunity to iron out a few kinks in our game. touch footy is awesome, except I hate the knock back rule and no kicking. Thats how the chooks unearthed Soward, playing touch. there might be something in that chrisc101

#1 I'd look at weight divisions. Need to counter their arguement that AFL is for the kid who might not be big enough for 'rugby'.

Big enough ? Have a look at the heights of AFL players, minimum 180cm and many over 190cm. Like basketball it is a game for less than 0.1% of the population who grow to this height.

Rugby League on the other hand can have a mix of short players, tall players, heavy players and light players. You don't have to be a freak of nature to make it at the elite level, skills are what are required instead, tackling instead of pushing, catching instead of fumbling, and a level of fitness that requires you stay on the field longer than 2 minutes before you're interchanged.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Rees was only whinging about losing the NRL GF to Quuensland the other week and now we read he was the one who asked Shoddy to come months ago and is now out promoting AFL

he has no idea about anything at all.

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
While all the AFL types are worrying about wether spacey has dreamy eyes or not, it is a good oportunity to iron out a few kinks in our game. touch footy is awesome, except I hate the knock back rule and no kicking. Thats how the chooks unearthed Soward, playing touch. there might be something in that chrisc101

Benji has a background in touch too. In fact, I think we could be sitting on a recruitment goldmine here - considering Touch and Oztag players are basically all halfbacks and 5/8ths. At a time when decent playmakers are rare as hens teeth.All we need to do is get them young and teach them how to tackle.

Oztag is preferable to touch though - it's a lot closer to league in that you have markers, can kick, ball knocked back is play on etc. Beyond a certain level touch just turns into three quick dumps down the middle then spread it wide, and the fitter team wins.

Also agree regarding weight divisions. The influx of Islanders in the modern game isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is killing the junior divisions, simply because Islanders usually grow bigger and quicker than Aussie kids the same age. Introducing weight divisions would go a LONG way to fixing this problem, and eliminate the "I want my son to play soccer because league is too dangerous" argument.

Hallatia

Referee

BUT I do think this is the opportunity League has to take in addressing certain issues which have crept into our sport, such as making it more accessible to little Johnny:

#2 I would like a closer association with touch (while in itself a sport) is a very strong segueway into league. This is our elephant in the room which no one talks about. If you throw in these participation numbers, I'm sure we'd rival soccer.
and that mothers tend to think league is too dangerous for their precious little brats and that AFL and soccer are both safer

chrisc101

Juniors
Benji has a background in touch too. In fact, I think we could be sitting on a recruitment goldmine here - considering Touch and Oztag players are basically all halfbacks and 5/8ths. At a time when decent playmakers are rare as hens teeth.All we need to do is get them young and teach them how to tackle.

Oztag is preferable to touch though - it's a lot closer to league in that you have markers, can kick, ball knocked back is play on etc. Beyond a certain level touch just turns into three quick dumps down the middle then spread it wide, and the fitter team wins.

Also agree regarding weight divisions. The influx of Islanders in the modern game isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is killing the junior divisions, simply because Islanders usually grow bigger and quicker than Aussie kids the same age. Introducing weight divisions would go a LONG way to fixing this problem, and eliminate the "I want my son to play soccer because league is too dangerous" argument.

The influx of islanders junior and senior players is great for the game! Basically ensured competitive international football forever. It is just a teething problem we have here in Australia because usually the white kids are smaller at the same age.

Yes it doesn't solve the problem, but definitely eliminates one of the current issues.

8Ball

First Grade
What we need is an internationally known coach like Cuthbert Shotty with the AFL to spread the gospel.

thuggdogg

Juniors

Well said.

In da bold part, dats da biggest twig fo' dis nig.

Y'all SERIOUS understimating how popular dis game will be for the smaller kid who wants to get a lil' rough but arent built fo' rugby.

The gap is widening. And young kids are taking steroids which makes it even worse (one kid in my under 13s on da juice now, they dont drugg test so its all good) as well as the Tongans fudging D.O.B certificates-i just cant believe the kiddy rugby league association hasnt clamped down on dat yet-braindead.

I can see AFL being verrry popular fo' kids who are swimmers, athletes and runners etc that arent thickly built, theres sooooooo many.

If da AFL gets its paws into the chinese kids and the indian kids (natural born athletes just not big) we are doomed.

Junior League will be an islander and maybe lebbo paradise only.

YOU.UNDERSTIMATE.DIS.THREAT.

Perth Red

Post Whore

But that would require the NRL to recognise that there are kids playing sport outside of NSW and Q'land!

Latest posts