What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets Go Back 10 Years

TRANSLATION

Juniors
The game has not gone forward IMHO. I call it the RRL these days.

As the panthers boss said. The Roosters have way too much influence in every aspect of the game these days.

From the NRL Board , to Channel 9 boss, to packer, Schubert, the Media in Weilder , Tim Webster and Gussy Gould, to Bill Harrigan and Finch, then you add the State of Origin coaches and selectors, the list goes on and on.

Its a sad state of affairs when 1 club is allowed to do what it likes.

They even change the rules to suit their team 8)

My Daily Rant. :lol: :lol:

Stgillaman said:

As the panthers boss said. The Roosters have way too much influence in every aspect of the game these days.

From the NRL Board , to Channel 9 boss, to packer, Schubert, the Media in Weilder , Tim Webster and Gussy Gould, to Bill Harrigan and Finch, then you add the State of Origin coaches and selectors, the list goes on and on.

And in 1994 people were saying exactly the same thing about the Broncos -- oooooh they're cheating the cap! Ribot! State of orgin team! Influence! Blah blah blah.

weasel

First Grade
Ah, 1994. When the Raiders were the most exciting team in the competition. Who would have thought just ten years later they'd be the most boring.

paulquinn49

Bench
10 years ago was 95. But even then Canberra had the best attack, losing only 2 games in the season. Dont remember what happened in the finals tho...

Hey and Manly didnt suck either. good times

Brumbies werent around. 28 people watched Swans lose. We need 95 back

m0j0

Bench
Stgillaman said:
Tim Webster

You're stretching a bit there. What influence does Tim Webster have? Heaven forbid he should be a fan of a league team.

Hang on, isn't John Howard a Saints fan? Ooh...too much influence. Something's not right there. :roll:

Stgillaman said:

Gotta remember Nick Politis was actually in favour of expansion and fought for the Gold Coast yesterday. The problem lies with News Ltd running the game and trying to recoup there SL debt. When they recoup that then hopefully they will reconsider expansion. You can't blame the Roosters for everything.

m0j0 said:
Stgillaman said:
Tim Webster

You're stretching a bit there. What influence does Tim Webster have? Heaven forbid he should be a fan of a league team.

Hang on, isn't John Howard a Saints fan? Ooh...too much influence. Something's not right there. :roll:

So is Mark Latham. :lol:

hrundi99

First Grade
weasel said:
Ah, 1994. When the Raiders were the most exciting team in the competition. Who would have thought just ten years later they'd be the most boring.

Almost a completely different playing roster and different coaching, but hey...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
1994, what a year. The Raiders were the entertainers the likes of Daley, Stuart, Mullins, Clyde, Meninga, Furner, Croker, Walters. Those were the players.

And what about State of Origin, that was the series where we had no complaints about the NSW side:

Brasher
Mullins
Fittler
McGregor
Ettingshausen
Daley
Stuart
Lazarus
Elias
Harragon
Sironen
Pay
Clyde

Johns
Mackay
Roberts
Nagas

What a team, what a year. :D

And who could forget the tour to GB.

_Johnsy

Referee
Southern
You can't blame the Roosters for everything"

No we cant, but we will :badgrin:

mightybears

Bench
i thought tim webster played flegg/or ball for easts in 1969/70?
he is a long term easts fan,
forget the influence idea though

league before murdoch/bronco/ribot scum was just fine

Moggles

Juniors
It is about time people stopped carrying on about what happened 10years ago..

Build a bridge and get over it. You are sounding like Gus Gould..

The year is 2004 and what happened wih SL, while being very craptacular, is over and we must learn from it, not sit an wonder what could have been...

The sooner we get on with things the sooner RL can grow.

mightybears

Bench
moggles, as much as i am a fan of angelina
if your also a bears fan you don't have a team to support at nrl level and that still sucks,

i agree we must learn from it, but no 16th team is not learning that the best interests of the game are not being served by the people that run the game for the sole interests of a media organisation

ouwet

Bench
paulquinn49 said:
10 years ago was 95. But even then Canberra had the best attack, losing only 2 games in the season. Dont remember what happened in the finals tho...

Let me remind you...
Bulldogs beat St George, Brisbane, Canberra & Manly to win the Premiership :D Yes Good Times they were!!!

Moggles

Juniors
mightybears said:
moggles, as much as i am a fan of angelina
if your also a bears fan you don't have a team to support at nrl level and that still sucks,

i agree we must learn from it, but no 16th team is not learning that the best interests of the game are not being served by the people that run the game for the sole interests of a media organisation

But surely waiting until the NRL has enough funds to give every team enough money to cover the cap is a good idea.
If current teams are having financial problems and a new tax soon to arrive that attacks the main income source for most clubs, surely it is not the best time to expand.

Why add new teams if they are going to only be able to last for a few years. Too many clubs have come and gone in RL.

I understand you are pissed off about the Bears, but there is very little you can do. Why not face the fact that the Bears will not be a part of the NRL for a while and follow your second team?

mightybears

Bench
the singo bid was very secure financially.
3 leagues club, singo money and a stadium designed to have a low break even point

some fans are more "fundamental" than others
to quote don mc kinnon "no norths no interest"
i didn't ever have a second team, other than the one playing manly each week!

i have not watched any nrl since 99, only origin until my bears are back

THE BEARS WILL BE BACK AT NRL LEVEL IN 2007!