What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's take a good hard look

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my view, Taylor has not done what he set out to do (Improve the defence) nor has he helped any of the players improve. In one season we saw more positive signs from Potter with a less talented crop of juniors to work with, and an equally f**ked up salary cap.

So let's have a look at the players

Brooks - To me he looks like more of an old school halfback, who played under the 5 metre rule. He throws deep passes, he passes early if he's going to pass wide or he runs to the line if he is going for a short flat pass. It is easy to spot most of the time. The thing is, every halfback only has a few tricks and they are usually easy to spot. What makes them good is having options either side of them, and they pick the right option more often than not. The problem Brooks is having is that his outside men are always playing flat and he never has any options. The return of Lawrence will finally give him someone committed to being an inside decoy/straight line runner which has been lacking. The coach needs to have running options either side of Brooks on different lines and he needs the outside backs on Brooks' side to not play so flat

Buchanan - Same as he was last year. Stagnation for a rookie is bad. He should be improving.

Farah - Has clearly been told to take a back seat and look what it has done to our attack. Sure he would have some shockers when he was involved more, but he won us much more games than he lost us. Now he's playing stifled and frustrated. Taylor is f**king crazy for forcing Farah to play like this, because we have an equally skillful and talented hooker coming through in Cherrington, we should be maximising this unbelievable riches at hooker and allow Farah and Cherrington to have more involvement and freedom.

Galloway/Halatau/Richards - You get the same every week. It's not good enough any more. Galloway and Richards will be gone for next season. Halatau should be as well. Been great servants, but their best is well behind them.

Hoeter - Still not convinced on this kid. Being in and out of losing sides is hurting his confidence and performance. The good coaches try not to put rookies in sides that have come off losses. Not Taylor.

Lawrence - Best season since 2011. Still not what we expect of him, but he has become clearly our best second rower at the club. Runs hard, runs straight, runs great lines, is near impossible to tackle 1 on 1. If we can keep him for one more year, add a little bit of extra muscle to him and improve his passing game, he will be Ellis-like. He is having to do a lot of inside defence which he has struggled with in the past, but seems to be coping better with it now that he's defending infield a little bit more. He can rely on his strength to stop tries now and not worry so much by the attackers step or turn of pace.

Lodge - Get this kid to sort out his off-field shit. Don't take away his aggression though. Has shit tonnes of potential. Needs to be a regular benchie next year or he will just follow in the steps of Buchanan.

Lovett - Clearly meant to be a Fulton clone, but hasn't got the attacking game that Fulton had (and Fulton's attacking game was very limited). Barely runs as a decoy option, and barely dents the line. Kid needs some muscle.

Moses - Disgracefully slow start but has improved a lot in the past month. Gets frustrated easily on the field and needs to fix that. Defence is horrendous, but he is at least having a dig and has no fear. Teach him to tackle around the legs. He needs to trust his instinct more, especially with his kicking game. The pathetic mid-field bomb is just pointless now, especially when players can have blockers to protect the defender attempting to catch the ball, it's essentially a free hand over every time. try some grubbers, kicks against the run of play, run the last etc. All will make him a bit more unpredictable and thus make that mid-field somewhat slightly more effective.

Naiqama - I wish he would hold his place in the defensive line better. Rushing up ahead of everyone else is fine sometimes, but most of the times it just leaves a yawning gap in the frnge defence which a back rower has to cover, which is hard to do if they've been committed to covering a decoy runner. Is either rocks or diamonds. Having him at centre has helped the side, because he no longer has to field kicks, which he never looked comfortable doing.

Nofoaluma - His run at centre was just horrible. Much better and comfortable on the wing. Hasn't improved on last year at all though.

Santi - Just doesn't have any presence for a back rower like Sue or Tapau. Needs to improve big time if he wants to be an NRL player. Has gone backwards this year.

Seumanufagai - All class and easily our second best prop.

Simona - Hasn't been getting the opportunities or space he has enjoyed in previous seasons due to the indifferent form of the halves and the lack of option runners on the inside of the halves, meaning defences can slide and put two men on Simona. I would've have liked to see him drop back for kicks this year instead of Richards, who despite his size, makes the softest hit ups in the competition. At least with Simona back fielding the occasional kick, he would have space to move and more chances to get 1 on 1 with a defenders and use his powerful fend.

Sironen - This kids development has been completely f**ked around with so much that I cannot accept he is just a bad player. He was a very good five-eighth but overnight was turned into a back rower without a step in the middle and now he's just in limbo. His try on the weekend shows that he still has a five-eighth's instincts even after 2 years as being a back rower. If we cannot get a coach to work intensely with Sironen and change his game and style permanently to be a genuine back rower, then he is going to be the exact same quality and style of player every year from now on, which isn't good enough.

Sue - Has a good running game. Needs to work on his tackling technique and needs to run as a decoy/option more often, especially when we are within 20m of the try line.

Taupau - Just as good as he was last year. Has dominated playing wider of the ruck. Needs to get his minutes up.

Tedesco - The kid is all class and while he hasn't improved he hasn't got worse and he is already brilliant. Needs to develop some more play options with both the halves other than chasing short kicks.

Woods - This kid has got slightly better than last year thankfully. Being the future leader has made him play more maturely which has worked wonders for his game.

Taylor has failed in every aspect of trying to improve the teams defence. They still do not defend as a unit, there still appears to be no communication when defending and Brooks and Moses are still left isolated in defence far too often. We have only conceded 80 points less than last year. Given we let in 631 last year, 80 points is not good enough for me to believe that there has been any significant improvement. We have only kept opposition sides under 10 on 4 occasions this year (Dragons in Rounds 2, Parramatta in Round 5, A Cowboys side without it's Origin players in Round 11 and a Souths side without Inglis and with Reynolds returning from injury after a long lay off).

Our attack has never consistently clicked either.

Our worst seasons
2013 - 7 wins, 17 losses, Pts Difference -301
2002 - 7 wins, 17 losses, Pts Difeerence -144
2003 - 7 wins, 17 losses, Pts Difference -128

2015 - 7 wins, 15 losses, Pts Difference -107

DanOz

Juniors
The positive for Taylor. His structure was clearly not working. Over the last few weeks he has let the shackles loose and we have been a million times better in attack. At least this shows he is willing to listen when something is not working. Hoping he has a Plan B for next year.

Tiger05

First Grade
The positive for Taylor. His structure was clearly not working. Over the last few weeks he has let the shackles loose and we have been a million times better in attack. At least this shows he is willing to listen when something is not working. Hoping he has a Plan B for next year.

Taylor has been terrible but if he can actually change his approach when its not working I have some hope.

I agree with a lot of what madunit has stated however I disagree with some points:-

1. I don't believe Farah is being stifled by JT. I think he just lacks pace now and his game is fairly ordinary. I think he may still win us games but maybe his role needs to change,
2. I think Moses has been pretty good. He looks like a player who we can build off.
3. I don't really have a problem with Brooks either. I don't think he is as good as Moses however I think he can be a solid player.
4. I think Halatau has been great.
5. I would piss off Lodge. He is all hype at the moment.
6. Nofo is rocks and diamonds and although I would definitely stick with him he needs a kick up the backside.
7. Woods seems to have gone backwards.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Farah has lost a yard of nip this year... Think his best days are behind him. He still has two years left on superstar money so this is not good.

There is no consistency in the forwards... Can't put back to back games together collectively...

Not confident that they this same squad minus Richards and Galloway will show much improvement next year..

Tigers Tale

Juniors
It is hard to disagree with much of what Madunit has written.

If we were to get the spoon maybe the club would be embarrassed in to chasing some more experienced players or forwards that have that explosive style of running (Hargraves type). We seem to be blessed with 'plodders' at the moment.

As mentioned above there is a lot of flaws in our team which has the WT now placed with one hand on the wooden spoon.While our young players show promise they need support, we need 2 or 3 decent backrowers and outside backs for starters for the team to progress.

DanOz

Juniors
Farah needs surgery. I forget what exactly needs doing but its major, something has separated from the bone and needs re-attaching. He is still playing when our season is over. It will be great to have him mentoring Cherrington off the bench. Manaia is NOT ready to be starting hooker.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Farah needs surgery. I forget what exactly needs doing but its major, something has separated from the bone and needs re-attaching. He is still playing when our season is over. It will be great to have him mentoring Cherrington off the bench. Manaia is NOT ready to be starting hooker.

You are probably right DanOz but our season has been gone for a while now so I would have thought the smart thing to do was have Farah go under the knife so he has a full off season to recover. Give Cherrington more minutes with Halatau to support him.

I don't know how many minutes Cherrington could go for but I do know I have been very impressed with him when he does come on and our attack definately does go up a level. He seems to link up with our attacking players well. I liken him to Issac Luke in attack, maybe not defence but he is improving there too.

Farah playing on this year may come back to haunt him. I hope is doesn't but time will tell.

moller

Juniors
As above, hard to argue with OP.

The real concerning this is that our defence has actually been worse over the second half of the year. Pre-season I expected the improvement along those lines to come slowly, and we'd finally be seeing it around now.
Instead we started fairly well, and yet really dropped off over the second half of the season. Hugely concerning, and to me it shows that JT isn't getting his message across.

Most of our players have gone backwards or stagnated - it's only really Woods and Tedesco (perhaps Simona) that have shown signs of improvement in 2015.

We've also got no one of note joining the squad next year, so can't see 2016 being any better.

Feel sorry for the WT membership dept.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Penrith Panthers boss Justin Pascoe emerging as front-runner to become Wests Tigers chief executive

Michael Carayannis
Published: August 31, 2015 - 10:00PM

Penrith Panthers chief executive Justin Pascoe has emerged as the frontrunner to take over as boss of the embattled Wests Tigers.
Fairfax Media understands the Tigers are closing in on a decision which could be announced as early as this week. It is understood Pascoe and the Tigers are putting the finishing touches on the finer details of the agreement before both parties can make a final decision.
Pascoe was one of five people interviewed by the Tigers board last week and made the shortlist of two candidates after the club received about 160 applications. It is understood the other person under consideration is from outside rugby league but has a sports background. Former NSW premier Barry O'Farrell was not among the candidates. The Tigers have been without a full-time chief executive since Grant Mayer resigned in June. The club's general manager of football Phil Moss has been the club's interim boss since Mayer's departure after two years in the role. Moss was interviewed for the full-time role.
Tigers chairwoman Marina Go was non-committal about who was in contention for the position. "There has been lots of speculation about who the club will appoint as chief executive," Go said. "There was a choice from a number of high-calibre candidates. We look forward to making a decision soon."
Pascoe is chief executive of the Panthers NRL team. He was appointed last August and has worked with the club's general manager of football Phil Gould and Panthers group chief executive Warren Wilson. Pascoe spent a week at Harvard University earlier this year on a fact-finding mission to help develop the club's brand.
Pascoe was the chief commercial officer at the Panthers before he was appointed chief executive. During his tour of the US, Pascoe was also taken on a behind-the-scenes tour of Boston Red Sox's Fenway Park.
He worked as general manager of strategy and sales at the Western Bulldogs and spent time working in Los Angeles. It is hoped the new chief executive will start when the Tigers return to pre-season training in November.
The announcement of a new boss could not come at a better time for the Tigers who have been engulfed by off-field dramas in recent weeks. One of the first situations the incoming chief executive would need to manage is Robbie Farah's contract.
While coach Jason Taylor has given Farah permission to negotiate with rival clubs at the end of the season, it remains to be seen if Farah will depart the club. Farah has two years remaining on his contract, meaning the new chief executive may be forced to mend the relationship between Taylor and Farah should both front up for pre-season training.
Farah's manager Sam Ayoub, asked about the possibility of Farah staying put at Concord, told AAP: "To be honest, that's a question you'd have to ask the Tigers. He's got a contract and as far as we're concerned, he's there."
The Tigers are coming off a rousing 50-16 triumph over the Warriors at Campbelltown Sports Stadium. After a tumultuous week, Farah could hardly have sent a stronger message to club management with a try and the last hand in three others.
They can ensure they avoid the dreaded wooden spoon if they beat St George Illawarra at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.
This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-tigers-chief-executive-20150831-gjbqnq.html

Ron's_Mate

Bench
No regrets for former Wests Tigers forward Adam Blair as Brisbane Broncos prepare for NRL finals surge

Phil Lutton
Published: August 31, 2015 - 8:54PM

Given the pressing matters facing the in-form Brisbane Broncos in coming weeks, it's fair to say Adam Blair hasn't spent a great deal of time studying the fortunes of the Wests Tigers. All he can say is he's glad to be where he is, rather than where he was.
The New Zealand international was one of the project players Wayne Bennett purchased upon his return to Red Hill and the investment has paid dividends, with the former Tiger believing he has ticked all the boxes asked of him since his move north.
It was a slow start, with Blair at one stage being labelled "Teddy Blair" after some harmless performances in the opening rounds as he struggled to adjust to his new teammates and structures.
Now he shapes as a vital forward asset for the Broncos as they try to lock up a top-two spot in the final round, in which they meet the Storm at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night.
Blair has the skills to masquerade as a ball-playing forward but Bennett has whittled back his mission down to the basics, simply asking Blair to carry the ball strong and fast and cover his areas in defence. It's a clarity be believes he wasn't getting at the Tigers, where he was lambasted as an overpaid, under-performing hire that fans felt should have been delivering far more in the orange and black.
"I guess my job is pretty simple as a frontrower here. Wayne was firm from the start. When players know what their role is in the team, they can stick to it and get that job done. I feel like I'm going out there each week and doing that," Blair said. "I reckon it was a bit of everything [at the Tigers]; off field issues, what my job was, all that stuff. It's full-on in Sydney and everyone knows that. That can be part and parcel of our job so you have to be able to work around those things. I just got the opportunity to be able to move out of there and come up here, so everything seems to be going all right."
As for the current predicament of the Tigers, he said: "I'm not there anymore but I know they are going through a tough time. At the same time, I've moved on. I'm here now, my focus is firmly on the Broncos. I guess it shows that when everything around you is in place and everyone is on the same page, then everything else seems to fall into place."
Bennett went to great pains to insist he couldn't deliver miracles when he returned to the Broncos, yet the results have been immediate. If they beat Melbourne they will win their 18th game of the season and potentially take out the minor premiership, should the Roosters be upset by the Rabbitohs. Blair said not even Brisbane's players believed they could enter the final round in such a lofty spot on the ladder. Many believed it would take a year or two to build a premiership contender but Bennett has them firing in his first season back in Queensland.
"I didn't think anyone, even outside of footy, would have thought that we'd be where we are. Ourselves included. We know we've worked very hard all pre-season. It shows in how we've been playing. We don't want to let each other down," Blair said.
"Everyone works hard but there is a special bond here and we turn up over and over again, especially when times are tough. I wouldn't be saying we can't (win the grand final). If we keep doing what we do, you never know what can happen."
ul>
This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...are-for-nrl-finals-surge-20150831-gjboli.html

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gee the last article had the most contrived title I've seen from a smh piece in ages

I cant say i have seen a lot of him playing this season at the Broncos,but one thing i know is that they shouldn't offer him a contract any bigger than 2 years or he will just hang out and bludge like he is remembered for at the WT.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Just to hijack this thread I wanted to ask a question about the wooden spoon.

With the Knights playing the Panthers this weekend, if the Knights lose they stay on 20, with their for and against they definately get the spoon as it is much worse than ours.

However if the Panthers lose by say 2 points (they have a slightly worse f/a than us) and we subsequently lose to the Drangons by 26 or more points do we get the spoon?

I am not the greatest mathematician but if I am right and we were to get flogged by the Dragon and the Knights win, we can get the spoon.

I hope this isn't the case but can anyone confirm this....I might be way off.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If we lose by anything less than 26 points we're safe.

However the panthers/Knights game is before us so we'll know exactly what where we stand in relation to the spoon come kick off.

TBH if this saints team beats us by more than 26 we deserve the spoon

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Knights and Panthers could draw and thus we'd pick up the spoon for any loss to the Queens regardless of score also.

WT Unity

Juniors
Just to hijack this thread I wanted to ask a question about the wooden spoon.

With the Knights playing the Panthers this weekend, if the Knights lose they stay on 20, with their for and against they definately get the spoon as it is much worse than ours.

However if the Panthers lose by say 2 points (they have a slightly worse f/a than us) and we subsequently lose to the Drangons by 26 or more points do we get the spoon?

I am not the greatest mathematician but if I am right and we were to get flogged by the Dragon and the Knights win, we can get the spoon.

I hope this isn't the case but can anyone confirm this....I might be way off.

Yeah we can still get the spoon - we are currently 23 points ahead of Penrith +/- So if they lost by 2 points (We'd be 25 points ahead of them) therefore if we were to lose by 25 we'd be equal, if we were to lose by 26 (based on Penrith losing by 2) we pick up the spoon. The best outcome for WT would be for the Pennnies to beat the Knights....then we'd be in the clear as we'd have to lose by aprox 66 for them to get in front of us on +/-.

Good player critique mad unit but what about our assistant coaches?
Who is the defensive coach? Is it Kidwell, is it Reddy? Does anyone know who has what role as assistant coach?

I actually didn't know that Reddy was in fact an assistant, I thought he was a talent scout but I guess if you have no money, you can't scout for new players:oops:

Latest posts