What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis vs Kenny

Who was better?

• Wally Lewis

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Brett Kenny

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WayneBennett

Juniors
Lewis.

It was Lewiss ability to rally the blokes around him when the chips were down.

Qlds never say die attitude started with this man.

As long as Wally was on the field, you had a chance

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
It was a shame, Lewis got ruled out of the 1990 kangaroo tour, one of the worst things I have seen done to a player of his standing in the game. The poor buggar was absolutely shattered

Let's compare Kenny and Lewis in Origin. Kenny made his debut in game 3 of 1982 and his last game was game 2 of 1987. That's 15 games, 12 at five-eighth and 3 in the centres.

When Kenny was 5/8:

NSW 8
QLD 4

Including 7 out of 8 at one point.

Conclusion - when Kenny played opposite Lewis NSW dominated. Not what many people would think.

When Kenny was centre:

NSW 0
QLD 3

Draw your own conclusions to that!

chunk

Juniors
I was a massive Kenny fan, one of the best players to watch.

However to say he's better than Lewis is a bit of a stretch. Wally dominated SOO for so long and had a better all round game, especially kicking. Kenny didn't dominate SOO's like the King.

Having said that, I would rather watch Kenny play, what a swerve and turn of pace not too many better sights in the games history.

Last edited:

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
The SOO record of Kenny v Lewis does not really show who was the better player, more a case of the NSW selectors getting the balance of the team right. NSW selectors have been stuffing the team up since day one. Imagine QLD chopping and changing there halves combo every year. Why Sterling and Kenny not play together more often than they did, used do my head in. Sure Turvey was great in 85, but we were even better in 86 with sterling there. Guess what it still happening now. Stuart is an idiot has no idea about team selection.We might win in spite of him, but it will pure luck more than good management

Loudstrat

Coach
So biased selection policies is now a justification for where you stand in the all time great ranks?
Dunno. Ask Meninga. But selection bias has been happening since day dot, and sometimes it came down to opinion. Don Furner had a scrumbase trio that was in the middle of engineering the greatest club success seen since 1966. Lewis had a whole tour to outperform Bert, as others have done (thinking Stuart vs Langer in 1990).

It was a shame, Lewis got ruled out of the 1990 kangaroo tour, one of the worst things I have seen done to a player of his standing in the game. The poor buggar was absolutely shattered
Wayne Pearce 4 years earlier.

Lewis wasnt fit. If he was he would have played in the Broncos sudden death semi final a few days before. He came on after the game was gone in the final minutes with the biggest bandage you have ever seen in your life. That was supposed to have convinced everyone he could play 12 games on a Kangaroo tour with no problem?

My final comment. I am comfortable with both their standings in League history. I admire Wally now - overcoming a very public stroke - and generally being the most reasoned and gracious Queenslander in an origin coverage. He, like Sterlo, is always reasoned and never carries on with that QUUUEEEEEEENNSSSLLLAAANNNNDDDEEEEEEEEERRRR crap that all the others do. He showed good character in the old Tooheys ad as well. I cannot imagine another big name QLD player (bar maybe the late Artie) saying "I love NSW" in an ad.

Both are legends. End of story.

Nerd

Bench
However, a question I'd like to throw to all those who were old enough to remember and see Lewis and Brett Kenny play (which I didn't get the chance to) is who was the better player between Kenny and Lewis? I've heard it mentioned in the past that Kenny dominated Lewis at Origin level when Kenny played 5/8 and one of the reasons why Kenny was shifted to centre for tests was due to strong QRL influence to accomodate Lewis in the side. )?

Kenny was moved to centre because Lewis played all over him and every other 5/8 NSW tried during Origin games...

Have a look at a few test matches where they both played, often it was Lewis delivering the pass to put Kenny through a hole.

Kenny was moved to centre because Lewis played all over him and every other 5/8 NSW tried during Origin games...

Have a look at a few test matches where they both played, often it was Lewis delivering the pass to put Kenny through a hole.

If Lewis dominated Kenny then why did NSW win most of those games?

nqboy

First Grade
I saw both careers in full. Both brilliant and worthy of any accolade received. Two very different layers.

Lewis was a more tough uncompromising leader. The type of player you wanted/needed when things got tough. He inspired those around just with his presence.

kenny was one of the most naturally gifted players to have ever laced on a boot. On his day it was like poetry in motion, the skills were indeed sublime.

If I was picking a team based on pure footballing ability I'd want Bert as the 5/8th.
I saw both in full as well. I'd be happy with either. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the number of times Wally pulled big games out of the fire almost by the force of his personality, he would drive his team to victory seemingly by willpower, refusing to accept defeat. Can't remember Bert doing that but, as others have said, he was sublime.

On top of everything else that's been said, what about defense? Lewis was a big guy, pretty solid hitter and didn't mind mixing it. How about Kenny?
Kenny was a wonderful, though understated defender. My favourite memory of his defence was in one of those Manly finals in 82/83. Choppy Close burst through the ruck 10m out and found Kenny bludging behind the line. In those days, Close at full power was about as scary as football got and Bert dropped him like a sack of spuds with no fuss at all. To this day, I can't imagine how he did it.

nqboy

First Grade
Wally also pioneered the 20-30m pass that was later perfected by Stuart and Daley. He used to hit Big Mal on the chest with room to wind up. Scary stuff.

carcharias

Immortal
When you think SOO greats who would be further up the list?
Lewis all day long

Kenny was a favourite non sharks player of mine...then I heard him talk.

Mr Fourex

Bench
However, a question I'd like to throw to all those who were old enough to remember and see Lewis and Brett Kenny play (which I didn't get the chance to) is who was the better player between Kenny and Lewis?

I have had the pleasure of watching both. Prior to the Brisbane Broncos being introduced into the NSWRL, most QLD/Brisbane kids had their favourite Sydney team as well as their favourite Brisbane team. Mine was Parramatta. Started when John Kolc was their half and finished with Sterlo. Peter Sterling was the halfback I wanted to be as a young footballer/halfback growing up. Watching the likes of Sterling, Kenny, Steve Ella and Eric Grother snr in action was simply awe inspiring.

There is no doubt that Brett Kenny was an outstanding talent. With the ball in his hands, he was a fantastic footballer to have in your team.

The late 70's early 80's was also the time a young lock by the name of Wally Lewis started getting around in Brisbane. Immediately he was a player you could tell was 5-6 steps ahead of the rest. His coach, Ross Strudwick was another great footballing mind, but even someone such as this........ Wally Lewis out grew rapidly. He was a super star.

Now all this crap about the BRL being shit compared to the NSWRL at the time is just that ...crap. It's your typical insular and arrogant NSW wank-aton that wants you to believe this. What Lewis was doing in Brisbane was equal and above to what Kenny was doing in Sydney. Lewis had a passing game that was comparable to none at the time. His kicking game (Kenny had no real kicking game) was greater than Sterling's.....who IMO, was NSW best. Lewis's defence could be brutal at times. In short..... in the skills department, Wally Lewis was the complete footballer of the highest ability.

Footballing talent aside. Wally Lewis possessed a footballers greatest gift. He had vision. No-one in my opinion since, or prior to Wally Lewis, could read a game like he could. He could see what was happening 2-3 sets of tackles ahead of the play. I have never seen a player (Johns and Lockyer would come the closest) who could simply grab the game by the scruff of the neck and force his own will upon it to ensure his sides victory.

I think we can all acknowledge that State of Origin is RL at it's highest level. With a record 8 man of the match awards, as well as being the captain of a dominant QLD side, a record 30 times (his 1st being at the tender age of 21yr). I think it's safe to say that Wally Lewis has dominated any opposition 5/8 comprehensively at Rugby Leagues highest level.

On top of this he lead Australia throughout 1984-89 and represented his country 33 times. Wally Lewis's career is punctuated heavily with accolades, records and distinguished service to RL .

Brett Kenny.... as I said earlier, was an outstanding footballer.

However, Wally Lewis was one of those players who can legitimately lay a claim to being bigger than the game itself.

I am yet to see another player who has created such awe and wonder amongst his fans and such bitter hatred and jealously amongst his detractors .......

In summing up, as someone who was a fan of both players

Lewis >>>>>>>>>>> Kenny

RABK

Referee
I am yet to see another player who has created such awe and wonder amongst his fans and such bitter hatred and jealously amongst his detractors .......

Oh please, if that's not Andrew Johns then the pope is going to partner Gallen in NSW's front row.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Oh please, if that's not Andrew Johns then the pope is going to partner Gallen in NSW's front row.

I don't believe Andrew Johns had his fellow Australians (if you could call them that) booing him as he ran on when he captained the national side

RABK

Referee
Different era, different times. That was Origin in it's prime and a hangover effect from that. Johns would have been booed beyond belief if he was Australian captain playing in QLD in the 80's as well.

All of QLD loves Lewis, Half of NSW hates Johns. That's called dividing fans between fans and haters.

Last edited:

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
Wally alongside Johns are the two best footballers I have seen. But my dream team would have Kenny at 5/8 just because it would make for exciting football. If I wanted a team that would intimidate the opposition lewis would be the man.

BTW Lewis putting Kenny through a hole. Well all that suggests that Lewis can pass the ball and Kenny knows what lines to run. It takes two to tango so to speak

Latest posts