What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis vs Kenny

Who was better?

• Wally Lewis

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Brett Kenny

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loudstrat

Coach
You seriously reckon the BRL was up to Challenge Cup standards?

Can you tell me what Wally ever achieved at club level, apart from one sacking and one spoon?

3 games a year Wally :lol:

Mortar

Juniors
Same old bullshit from typical NSWankers....Lewis was a more dominate player, leader and personality. Even with a major health issue he was a more superior player than Kenny.

Gotta :lol: at the usual conspiracy theory crap trotted out by people like Loudtard saying he was made an Immortal due to QRL pressure despite them having no effective say in anything football related other than in QLD.

What pisses them off is that it the greatest player to play the game wasn't a nswanker and it's quite pathetic but not suprising the way these idiots go on about it....just look at the disgraceful behavior from the nswanker crowd when he was booed as captain of Australia in 84.

Lewis won 3 BRL premierships, got the Broncos their first trophy, was unsurpassed at Origin and 1986 The Unbeatables says it all.

And here is some highlights for you Loudtard.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aq2V4Qcj24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfaqmPQNTSM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea7BYpPvrBA

Loudstrat

Coach
How the f*ck did he get the Broncos their first trophy? By leaving 2 seasons before? :lol::lol:

Unsurpassed at Origin? Kenny's record head to head sh*ts on Lewis's

And who the f*ck are the Unbeatables???????? The 82 side (you know, the one where Kenny played all the tests) were called The Invincibles. The 86 side was called The Return of The Invincibles, ir Invincibles Mk II.

Mortar - only you could make a Bunniesman post look normal. You have proved that the pommies did dump the most simple and inbred convicts in Moreton Bay! :lol:

Typical Mortar.

_Johnsy

Referee
I saw both careers in full. Both brilliant and worthy of any accolade received. Two very different layers.

Lewis was a more tough uncompromising leader. The type of player you wanted/needed when things got tough. He inspired those around just with his presence.

kenny was one of the most naturally gifted players to have ever laced on a boot. On his day it was like poetry in motion, the skills were indeed sublime.

If I was picking a team based on pure footballing ability I'd want Bert as the 5/8th.

Saint 60

Juniors
Lewis...NSW didn't see Wally in our comp till he was about 28..
I think Kenny broke some sorta game record at the eels..

silly question..Lewis.

_Johnsy

Referee
Same old bullshit from typical NSWankers....

Pot meet kettle.

Because someone has a different opinion & does not agree with the QLD mentality that Wally was the greatest ever, & no player could be anywhere near as good you are seen as a partial genius.

You make XXXX look almost human. It's a difference of opinion you clown. How typical. :roll:

Bretto

Bench
IMO, there's only a few people who had the ability to read the game like Wally Lewis: Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns, Allan Langer.

Lewis had one of the best 5/8 running games in league, even compared to todays standards.

Kenny was a fine player, but he was no Lewis.

InThatNumber

Juniors
I'd go Kenny. That guy was just flat out, genius, at his best... and he played that way more often than not... The test selectors should have been moving Lewis to lock to make way for Kenny at 5/8th, instead of Kenny shuffling to the centres.. IMO.

Lewis was also a fantastic player and would pull out great plays in Origin most of the time so it does make it terribly hard to split them. Still, Kenny on points for me.

Loudstrat

Coach
Sterlo was a better game reader! And Kenny's running game was far superior to Lewis'. The only place Lewis had over Kenny was his kicking game. Lewis was also a bigger whinger.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Wally dictated terms when he played.

Who killed Kenny? Not Wally.

Kenny was a great great player but QLD won origin games and series under Lewis when they were on paper not a chance in hell. Even though I'm a NSWmen through and through, I've never seen a greater leader or inspiration on a football field then Lewis.
Lewis helped create State of Origin and make it what it is today, that is why he is an immortal.

Both great players and that's why the SoO shield has their mugs on it - their battles epitomized SoO.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
Brett kenny is my favorite player, the stuff he did on the field was out of this world.
But Lewis was the King. Lewis best 5/8 I have seen with Kenny not too far behind. Than you have guys like Daley, Freddy and Locky who all are great players in there own right.The origin series over 86/87 was the greatest period in origin history. The contest between the two sides was incredible, perhaps I,m a little biased as Kenny had Lewis number over those those two years and you might through 85 in there as well.

Loudstrat

Coach
I know of some QLD players who might disagree. A mate at the time grew up with one QLD forward of the time and spoke of one Origin made famous for being played in the wet. The forwards and backs warmed up in a seperate room. Wally walks into the forwards room and threw buckets of cold water around, screaming that they had to lead up front in these conditions.

That player walked out, soaked and cold, onto the stadium noticing that Wally and Mal were bone dry!

I know that if Wally was in an Eels jumper, he would never have scored 2 tries in 3 consecutive grand finals. I also think it's funny that none of the Queenswankers (to paraphrase Mortar) in their Wally bleating have never raised the ONE area where he shat all over Bert - his kicking game. Pre Johns, Lewis had a fantastic kicking game second only to Sterling. Mid to long range he was sublime. Yet Kenny is the only player I have seen who could beat defenders by seemingly sanding still in the tackle and watching them slide down to his boots, before stepping out of the tackle and racing away. I also recall Kenny's peripheral vision was Lockyer like. In one of the GFs where we flogged Manly, I remember Bert making a break and within 2 steps he had looked left and right, sized up the defence and where his support players were, and delivered a precision pass onto the chest of Ella. All in full flight. Legend.

Lance Todd Trophy beats a spoon any day!

Canard

Immortal
I know of some QLD players who might disagree. A mate at the time grew up with one QLD forward of the time and spoke of one Origin made famous for being played in the wet. The forwards and backs warmed up in a seperate room. Wally walks into the forwards room and threw buckets of cold water around, screaming that they had to lead up front in these conditions.

That player walked out, soaked and cold, onto the stadium noticing that Wally and Mal were bone dry!

The Brothers Grimm created some good fairytales also.

More likely Wally would have been out the back smoking a couple of bungers whilst the coach was giving his last instructions.

gUt

Coach
On top of everything else that's been said, what about defense? Lewis was a big guy, pretty solid hitter and didn't mind mixing it. How about Kenny?

Loudstrat

Coach
Kenny wasnt as big as Wally. Dont ever remember a problem with defence. Kenny had greater speed and agility, so could cover better and run players down.

Latest posts