What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limerick Launches RLWC Bid

donny donny

Juniors

Evil Homer

Staff member
Nice that they're interested but I feel the same about this as I do about any proposals to hold games in France - for the credibility of the tournament, all matches should be held in the host country.

roughyedspud

Coach
to be honest this bid should have come last october when the big process started.....all the "promo stuff" already says RLWC13-ENGLAND&WALES now

2013_rugby_league_world_cup_belong_logo.png

Evil Homer

Staff member
to be honest this bid should have come last october when the big process started.....all the "promo stuff" already says RLWC13-ENGLAND&WALES now

2013_rugby_league_world_cup_belong_logo.png
Exactly. If Thomond Park wants to host international matches then great, and hopefully the Ireland game there this year will be a success. But we shouldn't have World Cup matches spread out across different countries, it ruins the 'event' feel of the tournament.

roughyedspud

Coach
true....we're still in the "profit making stage" of the world cups......spread the games too thinly and it'll lose money....a la 2000..

i would'nt begrudge ireland hosting a group in future world cups,like wales are gonna do......just not this one

billy2

Juniors
If the government of Ireland is offering money to get games, get an accountant to crunch the numbers. Best dollar outcome wins.

As an Aussie with roots in England and Ireland, I would be making a trip to Ireland if i went over for the WC anyway. I just have to work out how close Bantry and Mountrath are to Limerick - and how close Kingsley in Cheshire and West Wratting in Cambridge are to the League venues in England.

The fact that France isn't hosting any games, not even France games, AND the fact Ireland has been given automatic qualification despite the game there being a basket case, already makes this WC a massive loser. To compound it by giving Ireland home games and not France would be farcical.

langpark

First Grade
I hear what you guys are saying. I have thought long and hard about this one (in fact I even slept on it, haha) and here's the conclusion I reached.

Let them host it! Lets face it, we only have two, maybe three nations capable of sole hosting a WC. So are we going to have these same arguments every time there is a WC? Meaning the likes of Ireland, Scotland, PNG will never have a WC match on home soil? We have to make some exceptions and I don't think having one match in Limerick would make this any less credible. In fact, I really think they could get quite a good crowd, especially if they host the Aus match. So, they have my 100% support.

I do agree though, that it is strange they have left it so late, the article says 15th of July is the deadline.

Another side note, this article mentioned Reading as a bidder. I have not heard this anywhere else????
true....we're still in the "profit making stage" of the world cups......spread the games too thinly and it'll lose money....a la 2000..
I believe this would be in the best interests of profit. I think this match would get more in Limerick than it would in England, just like France v Samoa would get a full house in Perpignan, but probably only 4000 if played at Widnes or Warrington etc. So if we're talking about solely the interests of making profit, then this is the way to go.

***MH***

Bench
Did Irelands 2008 RLWC efforts get much coverage back in Ireland? They did well to win their Pool with a big win over Samoa and a narrow loss to Tonga.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

i would'nt begrudge ireland hosting a group in future world cups,like wales are gonna do......just not this one

Agreed. Still need to make more money. I think all of our competitions need to be run to a point where money is made.

Not sure how correct this is, but doesn't the 4Nations pay for the Pacific and Euro Cups, and thats where basically all the profits from the 4Nations go? Rather then saved.

yakstorm

First Grade
As mentioned above, we need to ensure all games are either going to help make a profit for the tournament or be self-sufficient enough (or have as minimal as possible loss), so we have funds to reinvest into the international game.

As such we don't want to be taking games to token areas like we did in 2000 if we don't have the resources to put behind it to make it a success.

That said, we shouldn't be silly either, if the groups behind the Limerick bid can put some guarantees behind their match, in terms of ensuring that all costs for the match are paid for, and they are prepared to present a serious marketing plan, then we should seriously consider it. One match in Ireland doesn't mean the logo has to be changed, nor does it 'kill' the feel of the tournament.

Ireland v Australia and Ireland v Fiji both won't get great crowds in the UK, but there is a chance that at least the Ireland v Australia match could draw a decent crowd in Limerick. I mean, Australian teams draw pretty well in other sports in Ireland... it could work... again though we need those financial guarantees first though.

roughyedspud

Coach
http://rlwc2013.com/hostcityselection

Matches will be played in venues across England and Wales and we will be seeking enthusiastic host towns and cities who will work with us to bring the tournament to life through Rugby League’s well established strengths in connecting with communities. The hosting of the tournament will bring significant economic benefit to regions and, as importantly, key social and community benefits through the tournament and associated activities.

ireland & scotland are'nt gonna get games.....as they are'nt in england or wales

hth

RedVee

First Grade
If there are offering to pay up for the honour, they should get it. If not, they have left their run too late, surely?

If they get it, I may have to save for a trip, go see where my old great, great, grandfather was born. Anywhere to get a beer in Ireland? hahaha

langpark

First Grade
It is strange that they left it so late. But they certainly seem to be making up for lost time.

I know facebook is not a be-all/end-all indication, but in under 3 days, they've managed to get over 800 fans. Just to compare that to a few others, Leeds have 2000 fans, Wigan 450+, Bristol 350+ and all these bids have been around much longer.

I believe if they are given the Ireland v Aus match it will sell out. Good luck to them!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=531166563#!/Backthebidlimerick2013

-

yakstorm

First Grade
263585_252324218126663_252192531473165_1115770_2810677_n.jpg

Whilst the RLWC site might say that, they do appear to be hold an official 'bid city' giant piece of cardboard from the RFL, meaning they must be eligible in some capacity, otherwise the RFL wouldn't have them listed as a potential host city.

The venues page on the RLWC website also says:
Critical to the successful delivery of the tournament will be the selection of appropriate host venues across the British Isles. The RFL will be initiating a selection process to determine these host venues early in 2011.

URL: http://rlwc2013.com/venues

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
If they can get decent financial backing I wouldn't say no to them getting an Ireland game - I think it would be a massive chance to shine the spotlight on the game if done well. Spreading the games around was not the only reason the RLWC2000 went poorly.

In any case, I am already a big fan of the city bid program for games, I like it a lot.