What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lions team to play the Jets

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Bluebag said:
CursedJet, It is very big of you to acknopwledge the errors of your previous post but what do ytou have against Aaron Lai do you consider him a WOFTAM or is it jealousy. Remember he was good enough to keep Kenny-Dowall on the bench in last years GF and his form this year has been sensational and as has been reported on the match reports a regular best on ground.
Did he do something to you before, take your car space or get served at the canteen before you?

Dear Mr Bluebag

after watching Aaron, I doubt that he has the ability to keep me out of a parking space, as for getting served before me in the line at the canteen, you may be right, as he seems to like to keep a good distance between himself and the opposition, he might have jumped the fence!!
as for
W waste
O of
F F**king
T time
A and
M money

yes that is what i think!

Bluebag

Juniors
Its a shame there is no official policy from the league and how many times do you need to ask the league about it before they tell you. I think you mean Glen Dwyer, the hard working minister of Newtown media communications and club icon who had also asked but not received official confirmation and considering the Lions were not 100 % starters until a 9 days before kick off it perhaps is understandable they did not know but that is tsill too short notice to get another strip or lodge a protest.
Just because the league wants clubs to have an alternative strip does not mean we should have one. 2 years ago when Jim Beam Cup were told to get one because Cabramatta wore Blue as were Narellan who had the same colours as us we have to change. The directors are custodians of the clubs history, tradition and future and our bis selling point with fans has been our refusal to give up those traditions just because they say so. In 2008 the game celebrates 100 years and they want to celebrate the rich history of our game yet rebukes us for refusing to give up ours.

Me thinks you may be a HQ stoolie. well take this back to your bosses and say we will fight for our jersey and history, and they should respect the game, its clubs and the history of the game and its members.

Just as an aside, here's the graphic the NSWRL use to indicate the Auckland Lions on the NSWRL web site:

lions.jpg

And those colours, folks, are (predominantly) Yellow and a bit of blue. NOT Royal Blue and White. Very eels-esque, if you ask me.

So my original conspiracy theory stands.

As regards how the situation was handled by other parties, well, that's another story entirely.

Also, have a look at this:
http://www.nswrl.com.au/pl/teams.php

The Auckland entry is blank where it says "Colours:" and their logo graphic is missing (at least it won't download on my system (it links to a file titled "nologo.jpg"). Curious.

Lastly, note the respective listed colours for the Bulldogs: "Colours: Royal Blue and White"

and the Newtown Jets: "Colours: Blue and White".

So just how/when did the Berries go from being White and blue to Royal Blue and White?

Interesting, eh?

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Bluebag said:
Its a shame there is no official policy from the league and how many times do you need to ask the league about it before they tell you. I think you mean Glen Dwyer, the hard working minister of Newtown media communications and club icon who had also asked but not received official confirmation and considering the Lions were not 100 % starters until a 9 days before kick off it perhaps is understandable they did not know but that is tsill too short notice to get another strip or lodge a protest.
Just because the league wants clubs to have an alternative strip does not mean we should have one. 2 years ago when Jim Beam Cup were told to get one because Cabramatta wore Blue as were Narellan who had the same colours as us we have to change. The directors are custodians of the clubs history, tradition and future and our bis selling point with fans has been our refusal to give up those traditions just because they say so. In 2008 the game celebrates 100 years and they want to celebrate the rich history of our game yet rebukes us for refusing to give up ours.

Me thinks you may be a HQ stoolie. well take this back to your bosses and say we will fight for our jersey and history, and they should respect the game, its clubs and the history of the game and its members.

Well blow me down, the VOLUNTEER media liaison officer is also the person that was informed to act on an alternate jersey!! need i say anymore? this person lacks personality, knowledge and as it seems now the capability to act under instructions given from the governing body of the competition the jets play in.
I will not for one minute argue the point of opinions, i did poke fun at this person over ill informed (my opinion) match reviews. but after making several phone calls to the NSWRL today, i now seem to think they might be telling the truth, as a supporter of the Jets i now want answers from the jets and the board of directors, this GLEN DWYER should be stripped immediately of his position, be it volunteering or paid.
this moron has bought the Jets into disrepute.

Jeffles

Bench
THECURSEDJET said:
Hey Muppet man,

you seem to know a lot about the club and the running of the club, answer all of us on this forum one simple question>

do you honestly expect us supporters to believe for one minute the NSWRL would only notify you (as stated) a weeks notice????

FFS (as you also imply) there may be someone out there that will accept this as an excuse, but not all of us

If this is the case well I hope someone's head will roll in at the NSWRL.

If it isn't well there should be a massive clean out of these so called hard working directors at the Jets for letting this happen

* post the person we all should be notifying our thoughts and disgust to at the NSWRL, if it is there fault i urge all Newtown fans to bombard the NSWRL and vent our disapproval*

I didn't say it was a week's notice, I said that it was after our last trial. Mr Dwyer was notified on March 5, that's after our last trials and only fourteen working days before the Auckland game. The time since that date was spent protesting the matter and trying to organise and alternate strip should the protest fail. It was made clear to us early on that an alternate strip could not be arranged in time.

Newtown did not prepare an alternate strip because it has never had to do so in 100 years. And any implication that our directors were slack on this issue is offensive. The Board works bloody hard, puts in a lot of time and money to help the Jets. We're no NRL club - no free tickets and dinners here. If you're on the board, you work. Newtown did the right thing here. They initiated contact with the NSWRL on several occassions re; the jersey only to be met with silence. The NSWRL only bothered to reply once it was too late for us to do anything.

As for the NSWRL Rules binding away clubs to wear away jerseys in the event of a clash, this is not in the NSWRL Operations Manual. Whoever you spoke to at the NSWRL would have conveniently omitted this from the conversation. The League told us it was in the Manual and we pointed out that it wasn't they then said something along the lines of, "oh - but it's in the NRL Manual and that's what we go by when something's not in the NSWRL Manual" - an absolute copout. Clubs have never ever before been given a copy of the NRL Manual nor been told that it acts as a supplement to the NSWRL Manual. The NSWRL made this up on the run to cover their oversight, inattentiveness and lax administration.

Unfortunately heads will not roll at the NSWRL. They don't care about history and tradition the people who make errors like this, (about whom few people of influence complain), do not get brought to justice.

Newtown were told that they had to wear an alternate jersey as the away club. We argued that as the newest entrant to the comp, Auckland should change. This is what happened in 1967 when Penrith changed from Blue to Brown. The NSWRL gave no response to this, simply saying, "you're the away team." Newtown has worn that jersey for one month short of 99 years, a full two months before the first game of RL under Northern Rules in NZ (June 1908) and before the formation of the Auckland RL.

When Auckland come to Henson Park, they will have to wear away jerseys. We've told them already (giving them 4 months notice). As for the future, the Newtown RLFC board is overwhelmingly in favour of retaining one strip and they will keep pushing the NSWRL to let us do so.

John Monie

Juniors
You know what i would have f**king done if i was coaching the boys.

I would have told them to play without jerseys. Shirts on skins. Anything would be better than the confusing f**k up i witnessed from afar on Sunday.

My mail from a mate at the Lions is that Dave Norman, NSWRL Operations Manager is the one who handles all the issues with club images and jerseys. If you Jets fans have something to say, direct a letter at him, call him at the NSWRL or on 0412 284 202. I know that i will never take up a coaching role in this clusterf**k until the NSWRL wake up to themselves.

Bluebag

Juniors
John Monie, Thanks for your contribution and is is a shame that you may never coach again as they will never change but it is upo to fans to send their protests to the relevant people as to why they allow a new club to use an existing clubs colours and remember that Newtown has a policy in no alternative jersey as we are proud of our own jersey and colour and see no need to have another style.

Jeffles

Bench
It's good to see John Monie on Newtown's side. It almost makes up for years of helping Wigan and Parramatta win trophies. Mr Monie is reclaiming moral high ground.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Jeffles said:
I didn't say it was a week's notice, I said that it was after our last trial. Mr Dwyer was notified on March 5,

blah blah blah (sorry Jeffles)

When Auckland come to Henson Park, they will have to wear away jerseys. We've told them already (giving them 4 months notice). As for the future, the Newtown RLFC board is overwhelmingly in favor of retaining one strip and they will keep pushing the NSWRL to let us do so.

why is it that all and sundry keep the 100 years of tradition cliché alive when speaking about Newtown?
why cant we move with the times?
have an away jersey? generate another source of income?
the roosters celebrated there 100th season at the start of the year,
why do you think they are still a viable organisation that field an NRL team and have so for so long? my way of thinking is that they have moved with the times, they are a well managed organisation and finally, perhaps this might hurt all the thin skinned jets fans, they have made some sacrifices in order to stay viable in the dog eat dog corporate world!
the roosters have had 2 very bad seasons and started this year as the worst attacking and defensive side in the comp, but take a look at how many season 100 jerseys have been sold, given that, yes, it is a celebratory jersey, they have generated a great deal of income by simply moving with the times. FFS get over the poor Newtown, poor little brother attitude and employ someone who is a genuine go getter to run the club, move with the times and get a board who will take ideas to the board room table and if need be pay a consultant for ideas.
moving with the times does not mean you are selling your sole!!

girvie

Staff member
This is a disgrace.

I am outraged.

The NSWRL are reaching new lows in 2007.

I feel so sorry for all the Newtown fans. I can not begin to imagine the pain and suffering you are going through.

This makes me feel sick.

Jeffles

Bench
THECURSEDJET said:
why is it that all and sundry keep the 100 years of tradition cliché alive when speaking about Newtown?
why cant we move with the times?
have an away jersey? generate another source of income?
the roosters celebrated there 100th season at the start of the year,
why do you think they are still a viable organisation that field an NRL team and have so for so long? my way of thinking is that they have moved with the times, they are a well managed organisation and finally, perhaps this might hurt all the thin skinned jets fans, they have made some sacrifices in order to stay viable in the dog eat dog corporate world!
the roosters have had 2 very bad seasons and started this year as the worst attacking and defensive side in the comp, but take a look at how many season 100 jerseys have been sold, given that, yes, it is a celebratory jersey, they have generated a great deal of income by simply moving with the times. FFS get over the poor Newtown, poor little brother attitude and employ someone who is a genuine go getter to run the club, move with the times and get a board who will take ideas to the board room table and if need be pay a consultant for ideas.
moving with the times does not mean you are selling your sole!!

The only soles we sell are on the bottom of our Newtown thongs. Our soul is not for sale and never will be.

Clubs can have away jerseys and make it a money spinner. But there are also clubs who can wear the same thing for decades and that becomes their selling point. Essendon FC are in the Guiness Book of Records for going the longest period with only one jersey - it is a big selling point for them. They famously refused AFL requests to have an away strip.

Simply put, a sporting club can keep one jersey and still be a competitive, dynamic business entity. Look at our other merchandise. It uses loads of colours that aren't royal blue and it sells well.

Manfred Moore

Juniors
Jeffles said:
The only soles we sell are on the bottom of our Newtown thongs. Our soul is not for sale and never will be.

Clubs can have away jerseys and make it a money spinner. But there are also clubs who can wear the same thing for decades and that becomes their selling point. Essendon FC are in the Guiness Book of Records for going the longest period with only one jersey - it is a big selling point for them. They famously refused AFL requests to have an away strip.

Simply put, a sporting club can keep one jersey and still be a competitive, dynamic business entity. Look at our other merchandise. It uses loads of colours that aren't royal blue and it sells well.

Agreed from the bottom of my thongs!

2 True Blues

Coach
Tradition, History and Pride in our jersey, seem to be qualities lacking from your comprehension TCJ. Although that would not surprise me.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Jeffles said:

I posted, moving with the times DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE SELLING YOUR SOUL you moron, as for your cheap shots, my opinion is exactly that, as are yours, as for taking the information supplied from the NSWRL with a grain of salt! what has Newtown as an organisation done to inform there supporters there side of the story?

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
2 True Blues said:
Tradition, History and Pride in our jersey, seem to be qualities lacking from your comprehension TCJ. Although that would not surprise me.
seems to me that the qualities you lack is comon sense and your own opinion, i am yet to read a post from you where you have said something of your own bat, yet when someone expresses there opinion you take aim,

Jeffles

Bench
I know exactly what you said TCJ. I'd like to add that the implication you made is that Newtown's staff, board, etc is stuck in the past because it refuses to make sacrifices to adjust with the times. I totally rejected that. The club has gone into feeder club agreements, branched out with merchandising and marketed aggressively this decade. Match day operations have become more sophisticated and we now have more recognition in the community as evidenced by the Iemma Government's promise to put $250k into Henson Park.

What I argue is that you can move to the times and also preserve some of the iconic symbols of your history. it is a similar argument to yours only that I think the jersey is something you should not have to change and you think it is more acceptable.

2 True Blues

Coach
THECURSEDJET said:
seems to me that the qualities you lack is comon sense and your own opinion, i am yet to read a post from you where you have said something of your own bat, yet when someone expresses there opinion you take aim,

It is pretty obvious to all that are reading your posts that " Seems to me " is more than often safely far from fact.

Re the " I am yet to read blah blah blah ETC " ..If you spent time reading through some previous posts over the years you will in fact see that I do possess an opinion. One that more than often infact differs from those other forum members. Though I further understand the likelihood of you being too young to be permitted computer access by your parents last year and you would not have read any.

Now to be honest, your previous posts Re the jerseys have been so far from the truth and have missed the mark by miles. It is blatently obvious you just do not understand. They have been laughable. However it was just a case of ignoring them, as I could not be bothered explaining things that should be obvious to you ( As an alleged Jets fan ) anyway.

PS.... Heres a little clue for you though. Jets moved on so much that they sacked Col MURPHY from the coaching role in sacrifice for them moving on. ( Something I objected to with passion at the time ), however they MOVED on. :crazy: :sarcasm: :crazy:

The continual increase in marketing, sponsorships, fans, merchandise is further credit to their efforts, a further example of moving on.

This has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with MOVING on etc. We were told we would never have to change our jersey. This was not adhered to. The sponsors that we have are obviously not as important in the eys of the NSWRL as the sponsors that a new side in this comp have from NZ.

Basically the NSWRL thought " It's only Newtown, let them change. The sponsors from NZ are more important and can cause us greater grief, so f**k the Jets. " And this to me is not accepable.

It is an insult to the club I love, and to it's fans and sponsors. Just as your posts are becoming an insult to common sense.