What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LIVE UPDATES - Tri Nations Game 6 - Australia vs GB

salivor

First Grade
innsaneink said:
You wont see Senior again in a GB jumper....if they have any brains.

Well the GB selectors would certainly have the support of the Kiwi and Australian outside backs if they do want to keep selecting him.

Mal Meninga

Bench
salivor said:
GB are quite clearly a level below Aus and NZ and Gould is calling it how he sees it. I'm sick of hearing crap about the gap is closing, the ESL is getting better etc and using a pathetic examples such as the WCC as evidence. Theres no point being a cheerleader, GB need to get their head out of the sand and get their act together as international league needs them to become competitive.
The game in England and their side on paper is a non-issue, Gould has stepped up his criticism AFTER a loss, which is uncalled for, wouldn't you say?

It's obvious that a firing Australia could easily put 50 on either team in the 3N's, so their's no real point to kicking a man(or in this case a team) when their already down.

salivor

First Grade
I don't think Gould was any harder on them than he was in the first test and you've got to remember that between then and now GB once again showed their true colours by getting blown off the park by NZ last week.

PRIDEOFLIONS

Juniors
Congrats Australia.

Tremendous Skill And Speed. Gasnier Is Never Less Than Awsome.

Just Saw Interview With Peacock...what An Outstanding Bloke.

So Gutted For Him...and Gutted That Gb Not In The Final....but Should Be A Good One.

Hope Aus Get Stuffed ](*,)

innsaneink

Referee
PRIDEOFLIONS said:
Congrats Australia.

Tremendous Skill And Speed. Gasnier Is Never Less Than Awsome.

Just Saw Interview With Peacock...what An Outstanding Bloke.

So Gutted For Him...and Gutted That Gb Not In The Final....but Should Be A Good One.

Hope Aus Get Stuffed ](*,)

3rd...not bad really, for GB.

\\\\:D/

Brutus

Referee
Gould is a toss pot.

His disdain for international RL is obvious.

Maybe because he was never good enough to play int league himself.

Arucard

Juniors
Where do the Lions go from here now? Theyve shown yet again they are nothing more than a distant 3rd who can only produce 1 off results like the Kiwis of afew years ago. This is why the international game struggles for credibility because we only have 2 sides capable of playing at this level of Rugby and even then New Zealand still has its moments of shame. Gould was right in putting the boot into the tourists they really have to make something of this critism. 12 Months to turn it around and get it right in the Baskerville Series against the Kiwis.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Yeah, Gould is annoying, but theres generally substance to most of what he says. Its the blowhard way he comes across that polarises people, but I think the Ch9 commentary would be less interesting without him.

Hard luck GB. Overall some really good performers in your side, but 1 quality team performance short of making the final.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hodges was offside.

Lockyer should have been 6 a year eariler.

Hunt is a half.

Ryan played well.

The Brits need to send more players here.

I am still embarressed by our flag.

Better use of Cam Smith by sticky.

Peacock is a gun.

Sydney needs to pick thier act up.

Ozbash is a pussy for not watching.

ali

Bench
salivor said:
GB are quite clearly a level below Aus and NZ and Gould is calling it how he sees it. I'm sick of hearing crap about the gap is closing, the ESL is getting better etc and using a pathetic examples such as the WCC as evidence. Theres no point being a cheerleader, GB need to get their head out of the sand and get their act together as international league needs them to become competitive.

I was having a think about this on the way out of the stadium, and the strange thing is the RFL appear to be doing a better job at improving the spread of the game than the NRL / ARL are. I think you will find Britain is beating us in all indicators over the last 10 years. I reckon their top division crowds have grown more than ours, number of teams has probably increased more than us and number of juniors would have increased by a greater percentage than us. What i put it down to is the influx of Pacific islanders into the Aussie and NZ teams. i'd also say the emergence of more Aboriginal players and the way we have got into the older migrant streams has helped the strength of the Roos.

Maybe the next logical step for the British is to get the game more into the ethnic communities of the northern towns. The only imigrants playing the game appears to be the West Indians / blacks. The poms are doing an ok job spreading the game throughout the country, but realistically the majority of the expansion teams only have limited juniors programs, and with the kids so isolated it's hard for them to produce world class players. At least the RFL has started training camps for elite juniors, but only the big few clubs have strong junior rep programs, so amount of kids exposed to quality junior footy is less than in Aus.

The other problem is still Union. Karl Pryce is potentially a big loss. He is the kind of player that should have been moulded into a GB outside back. Unlike us, they don't have the depth to lose potential GB stars.

deluded pom?

Coach
Let's face facts IF G.B. were beating Australia by 30 points every game Gould would still be Pommie bashing. He hates Brits full stop. Maybe his mother was scared by a dazzingly white British torso on Bondi one day whilst she was carrying him. Or maybe they flashed her a glowing set of green choppers.

Hindmarshfan

Juniors
Let's face facts IF G.B. were beating Australia by 30 points every game Gould would still be Pommie bashing.

Rubbish. he is a wanker but he when he talks football he is generally spot on.. a wanker yes ,,pommy basher no..

Mal Meninga

Bench
ali said:
The other problem is still Union. Karl Pryce is potentially a big loss. He is the kind of player that should have been moulded into a GB outside back. Unlike us, they don't have the depth to lose potential GB stars.
I too believe that the incorporation of Islanders has helped Australia become stronger, but League over in GB will always have the difficulty at trying to produce stars when it competes with not only Union, but Football, which possess a greater following, and more money.

It could become a problem for the Kangaroos also, should football continue it's rise in Australian sport.

Big Pete

Referee
My thoughts:

I attended the game so my thoughts could be a little off.

Australia after the first 10 minutes seemed to be toying with the Brits and making silly errors which allowed the Brits to get back into the game.

Crowd fell asleep after the first 20 and a lot of crowd brawls started. First time I've experienced it. Happened again 10 minutes later.

Mexican Wave started however eventually died off and the starter of the Wave got taken away by police. Odd since Mexican Waves arn't banned at Suncorp just at the Gabba.

On the match:
Hunt made some silly errors.
Tate made errors but did ok.
Gasnier played his best game since the competition rounds.
Hodges played ok, still not his best at left centre.
Inglis was quiet.
Lockyer had a mixed bag, some good plays and then some shockers.
Thurston played well and staked his claim yet again.
Kite played well, possibly pick of the forwards.
Smith played his best game, showed why he should stay at hooker all game.
Civo played well
Hindmarsh played like Hindmarsh
Ryan played well I thought, should retain his place.
O'Donnell played well too.

O'Meley I didn't notice
Berro didn't notice either
Tupou played ok, still limited by Stuart.
Kafusi looked good, although odd wearing a Aus jersey.

The worst part about last night was my friends and I left early to beat the traffic and missed the Tate try! Still spewing over that!

Also embarrased by some Aussies behaviour. One guy deadset did not leave this Pom alone and just about got into a fight right near me and my mates. Then again the Pom had a short fuse and other Pom fans took it on the chin.

New Zealand are favourites next week if they play as well as they did against the Poms.

Peace Out!

Latest posts