What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Liverpool v Chelsea

Eddie.

Bench
The first clash between two "Big Four" Teams at Anfield Tonight. Both sides have made perfect starts to the season and will be looking to apply early table pressure on Man United. Whilst this game by no means will make or break either teams season It will be important to put down a marker, especially for Liverpool, looking to be considered serious title aspirants for the first time in many years.

Anfield has alot of bad memories recently for Chelsea fans. Two CL Semi Final KO's as well as a limp 0-2 loss in January in the Premiership effectively ending our challange to retain the Title. There is no doubt Liverpool are a seriously different side at home to what they are away. The crowd gets behind them and they are always hard to break down.

Chelsea need to go their with more attacking thrust then in previous years. I would almost play 3 up front and try and get involved in a shootout with Liverpool. They have proved int he CL Semi Finals that when Chelsea come to play it tight they are more then happy to grind them down, and deflate the life out of the game.

The inspirational captain John Terry is back in the nick of time. With Carvalho likely to be out Chelsea could not afford to have Terry on the sidelines as witnessed by several debacles last season, Anfield included. Chelsea have no presence in the air defended set play and crosses without JT and his presence is a significent lift.

Predicted Team

---------------------------Cech----------------------
Ferreria---------Ben Haim----Terry-----------A Cole
-------------------Essien------Lampard----------------
Wright Phillips--------------------------------Malouda
-----------------------Drogba--Kalou--------------------

That would be a very aggressive 4-4-2 with 2 Wingers in midfield. The impressive Obi Mikel may well get a start as we may need 3 in central midfield, to control Liverpool.

Kickoff 1 am

Bumble

First Grade
Chelsea to win in an arm wrestle. Great night of football coming up though. :D

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Ferreria? He's rubbish, who else do Chelsea have available that could play RB?

Is Shevchenko injured? I would start Pizarro over Kalou.

Bumble

First Grade
hybrid_tiger said:

I only found out yesterday how much Jose original paid for Paulo Ferreria.

14 million pounds. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: x 100000

Red Bear

Referee
Come on Liverpool!
2-1 in an entertaining match, going on how these two sides have been playing so far. Goals to Torres, Riise and Malouda

Eddie.

Bench
hybrid_tiger said:

Your right Ferreria is rubbish. However he has done the job in big games before. He is a very clumsy player who can get caught ball watching. However he is better defensively then the other right back in the sqaud Glen Johnson. Chelsea have been looking to sign Alves from Sevilla with the intention of establishing a genuine 1st choice right back.

Pizzarro looks the business. Although the pace of Kalou will worry Liverpool, along with the brute strength of Drogba. Pizzarro can always be thrown into the mix when we go the inevitable goal down as we seem to do in more then 80% of matches.

all this "pizarro looks the business" dude is DEFINATELY the business, take it from a bayern supporter.

pizarro > kalou all day everyday hyundai

Eddie.

Bench
Fulltime - Liverpool 1 Chelsea 1

A very good performance from Liverpool. They were certainly the better side across the 90 minutes. They just looked full of hunger, and stole the ball off Chelsea with some fierce tackling and closing down on a number of occasions. They passed with quality along the ground and got the ball to the edges on a number of occasions. I Won't so much say Chelsea were rattled, but they were second best. Seemingly outnumbered in midfield, they also lacked the urgency when on the ball.

Having said all that it is an excellent result for Chelsea. 5 points ahead of Man U after 1 week of the season, brilliant. Something tells me though this season it will be a race in 3, Liverpool will finally challange this season in my opinion. So to get a point at Anfield is a very solid result for Chelsea and something they were happy with judging by their display in the last 10 minues of hoofing the ball clear at every opportunity.

The main talking point will be MR Styles. He is a very poor umpire and has been for a few seasons. Chelsea got lucky today with a dubious penalty. Although i had a little chuckle as Liverpool got lucky with a ghost goal in the 2005 CL Semi Final. Unlucky for Liverpool today, but they are the breaks.

RedVGooner

Juniors
gotta say that chelsea are very lucky to get a point but jose wouldnt be complainin lol......unlucky for u liverpool supporters

skeepe

Immortal
Well Chelski's persistent badgering of the referee paid off and they were awarded one of the most ludicrous penalties I have ever seen given in my life.

They are a disgrace to football.

El Coconuto

Bench
skeepe said:
Well Chelski's persistent badgering of the referee paid off and they were awarded one of the most ludicrous penalties I have ever seen given in my life.

:lol:

Welcome to the Premier League, Fernando! Enjoy the face full of John Terry!

Thoroughly enjoyable match to watch. The tension made for unbelievable entertainment. That was one doozie of a penalty. Very unfortunate for Liverpool right there. Of course, anyone who claims Chelsea were the only team badgering the referee is tripping. Liverpool dished out just as much as they took back.

And now, I'll ask on behalf of every Chelsea fan on the face of the planet: Who in the blue hells idea was it to sign Ben Haim!? What a clown! He got burnt by Torres in a way that would've made Paulo Ferreira look world class. It was funny watching the other three defenders on the back line after the Torres goal rip off the "you have GOT to be kidding me" faces at Ben Haim. That was unbelievably poor form, and generally has been since he arrived. I can't wait for Carvalho to return, and Alex to get into his mojo. Very leaky defence right now.

Oh well. Good game. Story of the night: Man Utd - 3 games, 2 points :D

RedVGooner

Juniors
skeepe said:

They are a disgrace to football.

amen to that:eek:

video_ref said:
I can't recall a worse penalty decision.

i can. Germany v Czech Republic 1996 European Championship Final. absolutely most disgraceful penalty awarded i've ever seen in my life. 1 no contact was made. 2 he dived from outside the box and was awarded a penalty. i'd dig up the video but you'd have to watch it for 4 minutes before you see it.

the penalty against liverpool is just a little bit behind that. was still absolutely disgraceful and liverpool were dudded

Tyler Durden

Juniors
it's a shame that this game will be remembered for that decision.

steve gerrard, broken toe and all, showed that he is the heart, soul and everything else inbetween for this club.

Latest posts