What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

local players qouta

nqcowboy87

Bench
is there a certain amount of players in each wc squad that have to be based in the country theyre representing like in the png squad would they have have a certain amount of players from the sp cup

roopy

Referee
My understanding is that a 'local player' is anyone who started in the local comp or played for a nation at a junior level - so PNG would have most of their overseas based players qualifying and would technically not need anyone straight out of the local comp.
I think some of the PI countries have moved some of their best to Jim Beam cup sides to train and improve their standard of play this year, and these guys qualify as local players still.

The worst 'rort' anyone attempted was Italy named an under 16s side of kids from NSW and sent them to Tartarstan for an under 16s comp, and that entire side now meets the requirements of 'local' players for Italy now.

bender

Juniors
It'll be zero come October 25, just you wait...

Not a chance of it being zero or being changed.

Also, the minimum number of players is in the squad, not the actual team.

Roopy, i am not sure that the Italian situation is as much of a rort as it sounds. If the rule has the Italians developing a young team that commits to them, isnt that a good thing? Personally, i hate the rule. It is ridiculous and takes away credibility (much like the south african black cricket quota). What people tend to forget is that there is a domestic competition rule that allows people to get into the world cup. If you have a proper domestic competition you should be entitled to put your best team on the park. If your domestic competition is not up to scratch (like italy's at the moment) then you dont get a start. Incidently, i dont see how it could be a rort for Italy, when they dont even currently qualify for the World cup Qualification rounds!

Didn't Tonga or Samoa recently suggest they were going to ask for exemption from the domestic player rule?

I believe they claimed that the risk of catastrophic injury to the amateur players was unacceptable...?

screeny

Bench
But it will I'm sure. The ARL has consistently propped up these two sides and will continue to do so, flying in the face of the good work done by the Europeans.

RLIF

Juniors
FNRL have managed to secure 32 players contracts in Australia since April, most have been to the NSW Country Competition.

And i recall reading that Samoa are picking their six players from the nines competition they ran recently. They are keen on developing their local players to match the standards of the professional players.