What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locked in Schedule not so good?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Remember that Good Friday game is only a few years old and it's already set a record. It didn't just become an event, it was made into an event.

It's not like Bulldogs & Rabbitohs fans are the only people who go to the show nor is Good Friday the only day the show is on.

Not to mention it hasn't always been played on that day. Mondays have been tried before, as well as the Friday night. What if next year channel 9 decides they want that match for the 7:30pm slot. I think the crowd would be much lower as a lot of families would have had enough by that time.

This is the sort of timeslot that Channel 9 needs to lock in for that day, and ensure that Dogs v Souths is always on. Maybe the Sunday could have a western derby NRL game, say Parra vs Tigers/Penrith or something in the 6:30pm slot, or even a double header on the Sunday, say Parra vs Titans at 3pm, Panthers vs Cowboys at 6:30pm.

The long weekend is the perfect time to showcase our sport, and there really needs to be more than one match on during the Easter show period.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Not to mention it hasn't always been played on that day. Mondays have been tried before, as well as the Friday night. What if next year channel 9 decides they want that match for the 7:30pm slot. I think the crowd would be much lower as a lot of families would have had enough by that time.

This is the sort of timeslot that Channel 9 needs to lock in for that day, and ensure that Dogs v Souths is always on. Maybe the Sunday could have a western derby NRL game, say Parra vs Tigers/Penrith or something in the 6:30pm slot, or even a double header on the Sunday, say Parra vs Titans at 3pm, Panthers vs Cowboys at 6:30pm.

The long weekend is the perfect time to showcase our sport, and there really needs to be more than one match on during the Easter show period.

Agreed and the NRL need to ensure it stays in the afternoon slot. The afternoon timing is what would make both games work.

I don't mind the idea of a western NRL derby game but I also think that those games can be built up during the rest of the season. I've even suggested previously that the 4 clubs - Panthers, Eels, Bulldogs, Tigers - play matches under a Western Sydney Cup marketing promotion. So by that logic if you can push those 12 games elsewhere during the season, Easter Sunday is still open to another big Sydney game.

Rather than relying on an existing derby, I say make a new massive derby game. Eels & Dragons have huge fanbases that could make it work.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Have we ever considered that nine when picking their games factor in travel costs.

The only reason I can see why you would pick penrith v Gold Coast as the 4th best game of the week is that it's cheaper for all your team to get to penrith.

johns_reds

First Grade
Stop your complaining, stop being a tight arse and get foxtel, you'll never complain about scheduling as you'll get to see each game live if you wish (except for channel 9's Sunday game!)

typicalfan

Coach
I don't see why Ch9 wouldn't let the NRL choose the games. It isn't like the NRL don't want the ratings either. But the way to do it is to time the draw so that when you do have lower drawing teams it is against rivals or bigger drawing teams. Like Eels v Penrith or Dragons v Raiders or Broncos v Titans. Ch9 don't seem to be smart in picking games with a bit of history and current form.

Panthers v Titans is a throw away type game but Ch9 don't choose the first 3 games do they? They choose the friday games then choose a sunday game after fox gets a few picks for Monday and Saturday night. In recent times the Saturday night game has been usually the better one. Bulldogs v Cowboys R1 would have been great on FTA.

undertaker

Coach
I don't see why Ch9 wouldn't let the NRL choose the games. It isn't like the NRL don't want the ratings either. But the way to do it is to time the draw so that when you do have lower drawing teams it is against rivals or bigger drawing teams. Like Eels v Penrith or Dragons v Raiders or Broncos v Titans. Ch9 don't seem to be smart in picking games with a bit of history and current form.

Panthers v Titans is a throw away type game but Ch9 don't choose the first 3 games do they? They choose the friday games then choose a sunday game after fox gets a few picks for Monday and Saturday night. In recent times the Saturday night game has been usually the better one. Bulldogs v Cowboys R1 would have been great on FTA.

Ch9 get picks 1,2 and 5. Panthers/titans would've been number 5

undertaker

Coach
18/4/2014, Friday 4pm - Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs at ANZ stadium (expected minimum 45-50k)
21/4/2014, Monday 4pm- Eels vs Dragons at ANZ Stadium (expected minimum.....)
20/4/2014, Sunday 3pm - Roosters vs Tigers at Allianz stadium (expected minimum 30k)

I'd have those 3 fixtures locked in during the Easter period next year. Eels and Dragons have two of the largest fan bases in Sydney and would definitely get a good crowd. Roosters/tigers is on Sunday because the Roosters will have to play the Anzac match a few days later on Friday, hence why they cannot play on Monday. However, I'd move the Roosters/Tigers fixture to Monday 4pm from 2015. Two teams that share Allianz as a home venue and something for the ppl east of the city,

Thoughts?

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
But yes, like the AFL, public holiday fixtures should be locked in before season starts.

Thursday night before Good Friday - undecided
Good Friday (afternoon) - Bulldogs/Souths at ANZ
Good Friday (night) - undecided
Easter Sunday - Eels vs Dragons at ANZ (from 2015, played on Easter Monday in 2014)
Easter Monday (afternoon) - Roosters/Tigers at SFS (from 2015, played on Easter Sunday in 2014)
Anzac Day (afternoon) - Roosters/Dragons at SFS
Anzac Day (night) - Storm/Warriors (although I'd love to see this fixture alternate between AAMI Park and Mt Smart/Eden Park. Thoughts on this?)
Queens Birthday - undecided (maybe Knights/Manly?)

typicalfan

Coach
The problem with the way the current choices go is if Ch9 don't choose the Broncos in their first 2 games then fox can choose them for Monday night and Ch9 can't pick them the following week or until Fox stop choosing them for Monday night.

But then Fox and Ch9 are in bed together anyway.

undertaker

Coach
The problem with the way the current choices go is if Ch9 don't choose the Broncos in their first 2 games then fox can choose them for Monday night and Ch9 can't pick them the following week or until Fox stop choosing them for Monday

i have a big laugh at those Broncos fans complaining about having 3 consecutive MNF matches. Manly have to do deal with this situation twice !

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
But the way to do it is to time the draw so that when you do have lower drawing teams it is against rivals or bigger drawing teams. Like Eels v Penrith or Dragons v Raiders or Broncos v Titans.

Yep they just don't seem to understand that.

18/4/2014, Friday 4pm - Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs at ANZ stadium (expected minimum 45-50k)
21/4/2014, Monday 4pm- Eels vs Dragons at ANZ Stadium (expected minimum.....)
20/4/2014, Sunday 3pm - Roosters vs Tigers at Allianz stadium (expected minimum 30k)

I'd have those 3 fixtures locked in during the Easter period next year.

Yep, Easter-Anzac coordination is important to take into consideration. When it's like this year though it's far enough away not to impact each other.

I agree with Monday 4pm for Roosters-Tigers as the usual slot though.

But yes, like the AFL, public holiday fixtures should be locked in before season starts.

Thursday night before Good Friday - undecided
Good Friday (afternoon) - Bulldogs/Souths at ANZ
Good Friday (night) - undecided
Easter Sunday - Eels vs Dragons at ANZ (from 2015, played on Easter Monday in 2014)
Easter Monday (afternoon) - Roosters/Tigers at SFS (from 2015, played on Easter Sunday in 2014)
Anzac Day (afternoon) - Roosters/Dragons at SFS
Anzac Day (night) - Storm/Warriors (although I'd love to see this fixture alternate between AAMI Park and Mt Smart/Eden Park. Thoughts on this?)
Queens Birthday - undecided (maybe Knights/Manly?)

Holy Thursday - might be better served by hosting it outside a metro area away from Holiday traffic. So no Gosford, no Brisbane, no Gold Coast. Newcastle could get a crowd as there's enough of a fanbase that can attend and still get a big crowd without needing to get on the Pacific or F3. Or if we want to stick up for the little guys maybe Canberra deserves a shot.

Good Friday Night - Melbourne should feature and a home game and cross promotion/donation with the charity appeal could work.

Queen's Birthday - definitely up for grabs. Though if they're serious about having big games at big venues it should be a Sydney afternoon game at either SFS or Stadium Australia involving 2 of the big 5 teams (Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Eels, Tigers, Dragons).

Options are -
Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs
Bulldogs vs Eels
Bulldogs vs Tigers
Bulldogs vs Dragons
Rabbitohs vs Eels
Rabbitohs vs Tigers
Rabbitohs vs Dragons
Eels vs Tigers
Eels vs Dragons
Tigers vs Dragons

Again, I'd try not to use up any existing rivalry or big game so

Bulldogs vs Tigers
Bulldogs vs Dragons - this could be the permanent day for this game maybe
Rabbitohs vs Eels
Rabbitohs vs Tigers
Rabbitohs vs Dragons
Eels vs Tigers
Eels vs Dragons
Tigers vs Dragons

Any of those could work really if done right. If the NRL were smart they'd ensure that the big 5 games were played twice a season (20 games) and spread out so that for the majority of the week that these are the big Sydney match of the week games. The others would be the remain traditional rivalry games and certain big games at the SFS involving the Roosters.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
Next year Anzac Day is on a Friday. Perhaps a game in Canberra on the Thursday prior could tie into the events.

undertaker

Coach
Yep they just don't seem to understand that.

Yep, Easter-Anzac coordination is important to take into consideration. When it's like this year though it's far enough away not to impact each other.

I agree with Monday 4pm for Roosters-Tigers as the usual slot though.

Holy Thursday - might be better served by hosting it outside a metro area away from Holiday traffic. So no Gosford, no Brisbane, no Gold Coast. Newcastle could get a crowd as there's enough of a fanbase that can attend and still get a big crowd without needing to get on the Pacific or F3. Or if we want to stick up for the little guys maybe Canberra deserves a shot.

Good Friday Night - Melbourne should feature and a home game and cross promotion/donation with the charity appeal could work.

Queen's Birthday - definitely up for grabs. Though if they're serious about having big games at big venues it should be a Sydney afternoon game at either SFS or Stadium Australia involving 2 of the big 5 teams (Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Eels, Tigers, Dragons).

Options are -
Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs
Bulldogs vs Eels
Bulldogs vs Tigers
Bulldogs vs Dragons
Rabbitohs vs Eels
Rabbitohs vs Tigers
Rabbitohs vs Dragons
Eels vs Tigers
Eels vs Dragons
Tigers vs Dragons

Again, I'd try not to use up any existing rivalry or big game so

Bulldogs vs Tigers
Bulldogs vs Dragons - this could be the permanent day for this game maybe
Rabbitohs vs Eels
Rabbitohs vs Tigers
Rabbitohs vs Dragons
Eels vs Tigers
Eels vs Dragons
Tigers vs Dragons

Any of those could work really if done right. If the NRL were smart they'd ensure that the big 5 games were played twice a season (20 games) and spread out so that for the majority of the week that these are the big Sydney match of the week games. The others would be the remain traditional rivalry games and certain big games at the SFS involving the Roosters.

Whilst I love your idea, I'd love to see these games comprise of more teams. The Roosters already would have the Anzac game and Easter Sunday/Monday, Dragons the same, Bulldogs and Souffs have Good Friday, Storm and Warriors have Anzac Day etc.

Newcastle would be a good candidate to host the Thursday night before Good Friday. No problems with traffic issues like there would've been with the Gosford game this year, or any game in Sydney. Who the Knights would play is another question.

A Knights/manly on queens birthday holiday at 4pm would also draw a very good crowd, given neither currently play on a public holiday match and manly are one of the Knights biggest rivals.

undertaker

Coach
On the crowds thread, t-ba suggested the 'festival of the boot' idea at Easter. 4 Arvo games at ANZ or 2 at ANZ and 2 at SFS between 8 of the 9 Sydney teams. For the 2nd option, next year I'd have:

Friday 4pm, Souths vs Bulldogs at ANZ
Saturday 4pm, Manly vs Cronulla at SFS
Sunday 3pm, Roosters vs Tigers at SFS (being on Monday 4pm from 2015)
Monday 4pm, Eels vs Dragons at ANZ,(being on Sunday 3pm from 2015)

meaning Penrith would miss out. I don't know how 4 games at ANZ would be scheduled, given Souths vs Bulldogs is guaranteed to be one of the games

M2D2

Bench
Manly wont move one of their games from Brookie to the SFS.
Tigers Vs Manly. Roosters v Cronulla or Panthers would be better.

docbrown

Coach
Newcastle would be a good candidate to host the Thursday night before Good Friday.

Well I did suggest last year a Newcastle vs Cowboys game. The problem is though if you're coming to the game from Port Stephens, Central Coast and anything west of the F3 it starts to become problematic but yes, the Knights are capable of putting up a good crowd for that kind of match without away fans. As for travelling Cowboys fans, well it's not different to them play away on a Friday night.

The reason why I suggest Canberra as possible location though is because it offers similar to Newcastle with far less traffic problems. Like I said, it might be time for the nation's capital to shine but Newcastle could handle it too.

I'd also like to see the Raider's profile elevated around Anzac time. The next five years a game the day before Anzac Day in Canberra is a strong possibility: 2014 Thu 24/4, 2015 Fri 24/4, 2016 Sat 24/4, 2017 Sun 24/4, 2018 Mon 24/4

docbrown

Coach
Friday 4pm, Souths vs Bulldogs at ANZ
Saturday 4pm, Manly vs Cronulla at SFS
Sunday 3pm, Roosters vs Tigers at SFS (being on Monday 4pm from 2015)
Monday 4pm, Eels vs Dragons at ANZ,(being on Sunday 3pm from 2015)

See like I said though, I don't think any combination between Manly, Cronulla or Penrith would work at a big stadium unless you start eating up derby matches.

If you want to have a 4th game in Sydney, then play it at Brookvale or Shark Park. But don't forget, you can't have all non-Sydney teams playing non-Sydney teams either as that can drag crowds down.

I still say go for the 3 big Sydney games, have a big Brisbane game, big Melbourne game (maybe Melbourne vs Manly...) and the other 3 games can be hosted out of Canberra/Newcastle/Townsville/Gold Coast/Auckland, preferrably Newcastle and Townsville if you want to maximise the round aggregate.

The 4 big games in Sydney sounds good in theory but it might not be workable for this round.

firechild

First Grade
If you want to have a 4th game in Sydney, then play it at Brookvale or Shark Park. But don't forget, you can't have all non-Sydney teams playing non-Sydney teams either as that can drag crowds down.

Not necessarily. Melbourne v NZ, Brisbane v Gold Coast (Melbourne/Brisbane at home) would work well if you're going to put the Sydney teams up against each other.

Latest posts