What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer 'world's best' after Origin win

RABK

Referee
Lockyer 'world's best' after Origin win
Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 11:47 PM

Exhausted Queensland hooker Cameron Smith hailed Darren Lockyer the world's best player in the jubilation of the State of Origin series victory.

While Lockyer, who appeared from the clouds to score the match-winning try late in the 16-14 decider, was lost for words, his teammates were singing his praises after one of his finest games.

"I just feel so glad for him (Lockyer) there's been so much pressure on him with people saying he's too old and he should be playing fullback," said Smith who described his 10th Origin as something "very special".

"Personally I think he's the best player in the world and to be able to play alongside him is a privilege.

"You could see it on his face and all the old blokes what it meant to them."

Prop Petero Civoniceva said NSW had deliberately targeted Lockyer in defence, trying to take the juice out of him.

"Being our captain and being the player that he is I know what a proud Queenslander he is," said Civoniceva.

"I know all the criticism that we copped in game one cut deep with him and not just the forward pack.

"He was there with us and I'm just so happy for him that we were able to get job done tonight.

"For him to score the way he did shows what a champion competitor he is.

"They targeted him all night, all the big forwards just kept coming at him.

"They didn't want to run through the middle of the ruck but they were happy to smash him.

"They were trying to chew his gas up so he wasn't as effective with the ball.

"It just goes to show what a great athlete he is and what a great footballer he is."

Like Smith, Civoniceva said the win was "something very special" he would never forget.

The man himself was humble.

"I'm a bit lost for words, it's still sinking in," said Lockyer, who was highly emotional when he thanked the crowd after the game and received his Wally Lewis medal as man of the series.

"It's not about me, it's about these blokes who put in so much and never gave up on each other.

Lockyer said Queensland put the pressure on NSW fullback Brett Hodgson that forced his pass to go astray in the 74th minute.

"I saw the guy who was going to catch it lean forward and the ball hit the ground and bounced up perfectly," said Lockyer

"I pushed a few players off and ran over the top of Luke Bailey," joked Lockyer after his clear run to the line.

"It's special because this group of guys did so much hard work to get the result," he said.

Queensland centre Brent Tate, who triggered the comeback with a great try in the 71st minute after a terrific bust by halfback Johnathan Thurston was nursing several bruises after the game but the Queenslanders were feeling no pain.

http://svc002.wic104cx.server-web.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/1966/Default.aspx

:LOL: He played well but please....

Ghoulies

Bench
Locky has improved ten-fold this season at 5/8, but he's still miles behind Johns in the world's best stakes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thurston was by far the best half back on the field. Not quite sure why Lockyer is captain as if it is inspiration someone like Price should be capt and Lockyer never seems to say a word whilst on the field. I'm sure he must have some captain qualities about him but he doesn't show them on game day??

RABK

Referee
innsaneink said:
Very quiet the first 3/4 of the game....Thurston did most of it.

Exactly what i thought.

Thurston was a certainty for MOM or so i thought...

I agree that Lockyer is back to being one of the best but i believe he has passed the torch to Thurston. However the legend of Lockyer added another tale of inspiration tonight and he will go down as one of the greats.

Big Pete

Referee
Lockyer is definatly not the worlds best player infact he wasn't even the best player on the field IMO.

Thurston is next in line when Johns retires.

petetheileet

First Grade
always been one of the best in the world. He has probably played 100 games better then this one however. Isn't it funny how people get carried away after a big victory

redVgirl

Juniors
he is one of the best for sure. not THE best. i thought thurston was more impressive tonight to be honest.

Big Mick

Referee
What a surprise to see a knights supporter be the first to jump on the bandwagon for this article...

salivor

First Grade
Smith makes a throw away line in the emotion of the moment when his captain and a bloke with huge respect among the players scored the winning try and suddenly we want to blow it up into another Lockyer bash-a-thon.

Some here would have you think that Lockyer is Paul Carrige reincarnated with some of their rubbish. You said he couldn't defend yet I can barely think of a missed tackle all series and he even took Mason down several times, you said he couldn't play at this level yet he's now the 2006 Man of the Series, some even questioned his captaincy but from the words of praise flowing from his team-mates he's proven how inspirational he is. I'm not claiming that he's the world's best but he proved he's still got it this series, he was always going to make a fool of you sooner or later.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so one game makes him the best player in the world

he did play a good last quarter, but imo, he was outplayed by Thurston for over full 80 minutes

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Thurston is a class act. QLD have a good young half for a long time in him. He stands up to everything at every level of the game.

miccle

Bench
Locky has always been one of the best players in the world... for well over five years now and IMO last night didn't make his standing any better.

I think he is now not only seen as a great player, but also a great CAPTAIN - and that's the title he earns from last night. He showed tremendous leadership both on and off the ball. Put his heart into it, lead by example, made almost thirty tackles and topped it off with a great couple of speeches.

Locky's always been a great player. Not world's best, but right up there with them. He's now also a great leader.

IMO.

When Lockyer shows that he can perform like this at club level and not just for the almighty representive games then he can lay claim to being a great player.

But really at club level his a special to do a bushwalker Ben and go missing for the entire match, while classy pivots like Thurston are in the midst of the action week in week out wether they are in form or not.

icewind

Juniors
quoted by twizzle

so one game makes him the best player in the world

he did play a good last quarter, but imo, he was outplayed by Thurston for over full 80 minutes

you make it sound like theyre on different teams. put it this way: Lockyer just being on the field lifts the entire team, he's really applied himself to the leadership role and you can see that his team rallied around him and were inspired by the man in particular Thurston who really notched it up a gear. Oh, and scoring the winning try isn't too bad a thing either.

icewind

Juniors
Sir Knight82 said:
Origin - NSW 2-1.
you gonna update that??

Sir Knight82 said:
When Lockyer shows that he can perform like this at club level and not just for the almighty representive games then he can lay claim to being a great player.

But really at club level his a special to do a bushwalker Ben and go missing for the entire match, while classy pivots like Thurston are in the midst of the action week in week out wether they are in form or not.

so lockys combination with hunt in origin 2 meant that they just developed that combo in origin? yup, 2006 is a good year.... and don't be surprised when we take out the premiership. either way, the premiership doesn't belong to a nsw team. its either going south or north of the border.