What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look at this Moron! He still thinks we will win the Comp!!

Gareth67

First Grade
I have only just picked up the Daily Telegraph and have read it ( knocked my hot cup of LAN Choo tea over in the process ) I thought it was a misprint , perhaps he meant we could still win the wooden spoon , but no the maestro is going to pull a few wabbits out his hat and make our opponents vanish whilst we are playing them . Smart move Mary. - smart .

St Georgio

Juniors
Why is it that this club has only ever had 4 great coaches since Harry Bath?
Roy Masters
Brian Smith
David Waite
Wayne Bennett.
The rest have been absolute crap!

Gareth67

First Grade
It.would had been about this time last year when a number of ‘ good , experienced and premiership winning coaches came on to the market , I truly believed that the Joint Venture would not extend Mary’s contract and instead would make a play for one of the said gentlemen.

But lawd was I wrong , apparently they were never interested , they were quite content with the maestro. How they must be regretting their decision now, the team is going down quicker then the Titanic and still they have not sent out a S.O.S.

They wonder why we of the forum are so critical of the coach , the results speak for themselves and perhaps more so the manner in which we have ‘ just snuked home ‘ in the majority of our matches . But the forum members are only a minor percentage of the overall fans of the St.George Illawarra Dragons .

They , the board , only had to look at just how many supporters left the ground early in yesterday’s flogging - 10 minutes into the 2 nd half the exodus began .
This has turned out to be one of the bleakest winters that we fans have experienced and I , as so many others , have been around for plenty . Enough said .

Last edited:

RedVDragon

Juniors
Because those 4 coaches were all outsiders when appointed. The rest were old boys.

The last successful "Old boy" coach we had was Harry Bath.
Harry wasn’t an old boys club. The only coaches that have won a premiership since the glory days have been from Qld. Harry and Wayne.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
But remember...the board thinks that McGregor is a career coach....LOL

SGI defended against the Raiders as if we didn't know one another. We have more coaches than you can poke a stick at but seemingly no one who can teach a defensive system. Players are rushing up in defence, been pushed off (eg Aitken by Croker or been bypassed by clever ball players like Josh Hodgson.

Mary should have gone a long time ago but I am a bit worried that if we do finally sack him, they will replace him with Barrett. I'm not convinced about him either. I'd rather Geoff Toovey.

sco22

Juniors
Because those 4 coaches were all outsiders when appointed. The rest were old boys.

The last successful "Old boy" coach we had was Harry Bath.
I wouldn’t call Harry an old boy he was brought to the club by Frank Facer and John Fleming. Harry is a great Dragon/Saint nothing to do with the Illawarra. He was a great man and a coach to everyone he came in contact with. He was the best.

Mr Johnston & Board.

This email is to show my disappointment and embarrassment in the way this once great club has been run in recent years.

The perception of an “Old boys club” as a supporter of over 50 years has never been so obvious than in the last eight years with all the park quality, unqualified coaching appointments and the unbelievable decisions to extend the head coach so early in the season (again) with there being zero chance of another club even considering his services. The reasons given publicly by CEO Johnston for his extension were laughable and ridiculous at the time and has shown how far out of touch the club is with the fans.

In the words of McGregor “I finally have my team”, A team mind you of current origin and test players which now sits just four points from the bottom of the ladder whilst other teams with far less quality as well as injuries & in one case a rookie coach all vying for a semi final berth.

Our wins this year were two golden points, a two point and two wins against the second last (only one spot behind us) side. His performances in the press conferences after each game are cringeworthy to say the least.

Under the current coach all records regarding losses have been achieved, Yet in the clubs wisdom you decide to reward him with another extension which can only be described as amateurish or satisfying “The old boys”club.

The lack of any public feedback or accountability from our CEO/Board only adds to the frustrations of the most passionate fan base in the NRL.

I will NEVER become a Red V member again nor will I even contemplate paying my hard earned dollars- after standing on the freezing cold hill last night- to go and watch them again until change is made of which I’m sure there are plenty of other supporters who feel the same way.

It is time the club rectified it’s mistake and show the fans that you are serious in wanting the club to move forward in a positive and professional manner.

My latest email to the club this morning.
Not expecting any reply in the future.

Love it.

Straight Shooter

Okrad

Juniors
Mr Johnston & Board.

This email is to show my disappointment and embarrassment in the way this once great club has been run in recent years.

The perception of an “Old boys club” as a supporter of over 50 years has never been so obvious than in the last eight years with all the park quality, unqualified coaching appointments and the unbelievable decisions to extend the head coach so early in the season (again) with there being zero chance of another club even considering his services. The reasons given publicly by CEO Johnston for his extension were laughable and ridiculous at the time and has shown how far out of touch the club is with the fans.

In the words of McGregor “I finally have my team”, A team mind you of current origin and test players which now sits just four points from the bottom of the ladder whilst other teams with far less quality as well as injuries & in one case a rookie coach all vying for a semi final berth.

Our wins this year were two golden points, a two point and two wins against the second last (only one spot behind us) side. His performances in the press conferences after each game are cringeworthy to say the least.

Under the current coach all records regarding losses have been achieved, Yet in the clubs wisdom you decide to reward him with another extension which can only be described as amateurish or satisfying “The old boys”club.

The lack of any public feedback or accountability from our CEO/Board only adds to the frustrations of the most passionate fan base in the NRL.

I will NEVER become a Red V member again nor will I even contemplate paying my hard earned dollars- after standing on the freezing cold hill last night- to go and watch them again until change is made of which I’m sure there are plenty of other supporters who feel the same way.

It is time the club rectified it’s mistake and show the fans that you are serious in wanting the club to move forward in a positive and professional manner.

Great email Blaksafake. I am one supporter that feels like you do. I have followed the dragons since I was 5 years old and to the extent that I have never missed watching a game at the ground, on tv or if necessary by replay (yes, even in the Dark Ages ie Steve Price era). This is the first year I have found myself letting that slip. I now find myself watching some games but finding it hard to get excited. I will follow this club until I die but if I am losing interest it makes me wonder. From a business point of view, if "rusted on" supporters feel this way the club is losing market share. Success breeds new supporters, especially kids that will take the passion for the club into the future. The longer the club accepts average, the less viable the club's future, especially a club with a lot of debt. Some people blame the players and there is some truth to that but ultimately you can have the best squad in the comp but a poor coach will hold them back. Many commentators talk about defence as being all about attitude. I look at our defence and the number of points we leaked this year and it tells me that there is an attitude problem. In my opinion, that is the coach's responsibility and I believe he is holding us back. Sadly, we are stuck with him for a while longer.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Mr Johnston & Board.

Can you please give me a contact email at the club in order for me to voice my concerns also.