What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look at what 1 tri nations has accomplished!

simostorm

Bench
Look at what 1 tri nations has accomplished!
Before it international football in league was almost forgotton,
now this tournament has taking international footy to another level in just 8 weeks, the nrl really needs to jump on this oportunity while they have the ball in there court, we need to play the tri nations next year.
This is rugby league's chance to push above union, they need to take it,
and if the players a sooking over burnout then give players the oportunity to decide whether they want to go on tour or not, simple as that.
Look at how many players who didnt go on tour, Orford, Sherwin, Bailey, Barret, Slater, Croker, Ross, Clinton the list goes on, these guys would jump on the oportunity if guys before them didnt want to play.
Is there anyone who thinks that this is unwise?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I agree. The amount of publicity the Kangaroos have gotten is equal to the Wallabies and that's a great thing.

carlnz

Bench
I cant wait to see what games will be played next year...hopefully PNG get a test against AUS and NZ..

Unreal that 1 v 18 had a score like that!!! Mind you in a real test it would of been 80-10 or something but look how much they have improved!

Im the NRL had any BRAINS they would jump into International Rugby League where they could make loads of cash!

DIEHARD

----
Coverage in Aussie papers of the USA game was great. I will scan them later.

This is the first paragraph from the Courier Mail's report.

Courier Mail said:
Kangaroos captain Darren Lockyer warned America would be a force to be reckoned with at the 2008 World Cup after the Australians were forced to fight all the way for a 36-24 win over the USA Tomahawks in Philadelphia yesterday...

The Tri Nations was the best thing to happen to RL in years.

Misanthrope

Staff member
That's a huge wrap from Lockyer. While I think they've got immense potential, I really didn't even consider them being a chance in 2008. Would be awesome for the game if they managed to make a good showing though. Soccer only began to really capture the nations' heart when their international side started firing.

alexisUK

Juniors
Didn't soccer already have huge grassroots support participation though? Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt RL would have the same springboard to success. :(

Tomahawk

Staff member
I think the Americans can be a huge factor in the 2008 world cup, and I say this for a couple of different reasons.

Clint Newton, and more eligable players will want to play on the Tomahawks now.

The AMNRL will most likely be anywere from 12-16 teams. This means thier will more more players to choose from.

If a junior program can be developed now the skill level of the younger American players will be far better then now.

Finally I think more collage football players will make the switch over to the AMNRL. Guys that could not make the NFL or any of the other professional football league will now have another option.

This will help the American more then you can imagine. They will be bigger,faster, and stronger in the 2008 World Cup.

Tomahawk

AuckMel

Bench
It's been a huge boost for the game.

Lets all focus now on getting New Zealands strongest team on the field, then I think we'll really see some fireworks.

yakstorm

First Grade
AuckMel said:
It's been a huge boost for the game.

Lets all focus now on getting New Zealands strongest team on the field, then I think we'll really see some fireworks.

Nah, then you guys would be world champions...and then we would have to find a way to move that Courtney International Goodwill Trophy for the best side in the world...and I can tell you what, it isn't a small trophy....it is about the size of 4 forwards standing in a square, and about as tall and heavy as well.

Seriously though, USA will struggle in 08 if they don't have some better youth structures in place. You really need to be getting kids who are 12-13 and teaching them the basics of the game and building them up. Unfortunately the saying 'you can't teach a dog new tricks' is partly true, as it is very hard to learn some parts of the game once your an adult, that otherwise would come as second nature if your a kid.

That said, good on Lockyer for talking up the Yanks, and good on USA for grabbing the oppotunity with both hands.

Surandy

Bench
I hope the Tomahawks get to play at least one international match every year leading up to the 2008 RLWC.

Perhaps share it around a bit, GB next year, NZ in 2006 and Russia (if their comp takes off) in 2007.

Add to that some regular tests between the Tomahawks and a West Indies side.

In-goal

Bench
The impact of the tri-nations has been far spread, the RLIF would be mad not to run it next year in GB again with a game in both Australia and New Zealand next season.

Latest posts