What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look Who The Storm Signed For $2

Iafeta

Referee
Good move, but it does highlight a flaw in the system.

Why shouldn't the Chooks sign Stuart for $2, chuck him in at halfback if no one there is taking the bull by the horns? As someone said above, if Brent Webb is injured, chuck Cleary in for $2 a game.

It could leave itself to be a bit open for open slather.. sign a good player at the tail end of their career to an admin role, then give a second contract for $2 a game before June 30 and pay $52 for the year for an 80 minute prop...

Hoggy

Bench
Colin Ward was on a $1 contract for 2004 so he could play in the WCC for Penrith as his "grand final" as he missed out on the 2003 success for the Panthers.

It's the same sort of deal.

We just rate Kearns as twice the player of Ward. ;-)

Raoul Duke

Juniors
Yeah i heard the roosters were considering paying Arthie Beetson to play a match or two now that Morley is susspended and other forwards could get injured too. $2.50 they are paying i hear. ](*,)

I'm probably wrong, but technically what's to stop a team signing a star player as an assistant coach or something on a huge salary (paid outside of the cap) but registering their contract (like this) for $2 or whatever.

how does kearns salary for his assistant coach not be counted as well, warriors have to count wikis assistant coaches salary in 2008, 2009 under the cap (the majority of the warriors salary cap breach)

Iafeta

Referee
douglasallen91 said:
how does kearns salary for his assistant coach not be counted as well, warriors have to count wikis assistant coaches salary in 2008, 2009 under the cap (the majority of the warriors salary cap breach)

And that's where there is an inconsistency.

While allegedly Wiki and Price were offered deals prior to coming to the Warriors, whats to stop a team signing a good quality half at the end of their careers in an administration role, and then la-da-de, la-da-da offer them a $2 contract prior to June 30, hell prior to February 1st.

It really is the same thing just dressed up in a different suit.

Iafeta

Referee
Hoggy said:
Colin Ward was on a $1 contract for 2004 so he could play in the WCC for Penrith as his "grand final" as he missed out on the 2003 success for the Panthers.

We just rate Kearns as twice the player of Ward. ;-)

I don't have a problem with the Ward contract. I don't have a problem with the Kearns contract.

In my eyes I see both have been done in the right spirit of the game.

The thing is though, what's to stop a salary cap rort by a team using the loophole. There's no reason why another club couldn't do it without the right spirit.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
When I first saw the thread I thought it said $2M :lol: $2 is a pretty good salary, ill take one from the panthers if they wanted me to play lol.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
Iafeta said:
I don't have a problem with the Ward contract. I don't have a problem with the Kearns contract.

In my eyes I see both have been done in the right spirit of the game.

The thing is though, what's to stop a salary cap rort by a team using the loophole. There's no reason why another club couldn't do it without the right spirit.

the NRL might not register the contract?

K1w1 Lurvin said:
Warriors looking like they might put Ivan Cleary at fullback just incase Webb gets injuried...

The Roosters should register Stuart as cover for a plethora of rubbish in the 7 jersey.

Danos

Juniors
Sounds illegal to me.

There are still rules in the salary cap & players union. IE, paying a player what he is worth. I think the minimum is $25,000. Also take into account that he is a former rep player for NSW and an International.

Razor

Coach

We just rate Kearns as twice the player of Ward.

It's totally different. Ward was not an employee of the Dragons. He took his $1 to play that 1 match, and had no other involvement with the club. Kearns is employed by the club and getting paid. So he's not getting $2 to play, his salary for the club should be included in the Storms cap.,

lotti

Bench
Robbie Kearns Melbourne's Brad Fitler, I think the fans have missed seeing him on the field kinda like how Manly fans feel about Geoff Toovey and Cliffy Lyons.

Latest posts