What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing more of our young guns.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
It’s called competition for positions. Fight and earn your spot in first grade. You can’t always play in your preferred position as long as you’re in first grade should be enough until you can force yourself into your preferred position by performance.
Same in any business. Stop acting like spoilt brats!

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I wonder how some of the posters on this forum would react if they had negotiated terms of contract with an employer and signed a contract, only to have that employer, a few months down the track, choose to change their minds and not honour those terms, and then just expect you to shut your mouth and cop it. I'm sure you'd all just grin and bear it wouldn't you 🙄
I would be interested in knowing which part of Sullivan's contract has not been honoured by the club?

I dare say Sullivan's contract with the Dragons doesn't guarantee he would be first picked half back week in week out from season 2023 onwards.

So where hasn't his contract been honoured?

There was always a realistic chance that Hunt would get resigned and that would have an impact on Sullivan, regardless of whether or not promises were or weren't made. You would think Sullivan should've considered this before agreeing to sign until the end of season 2025.

Sullivan and his management can kick stones all they like but a contract is a contract at the end of the day.

I would hope he shows us supporters now that he is fair dinkum about his playing career and makes it impossible not to select him. However if his actions the past couple of weeks tell us anything, it's that he doesn't seem to be willing to roll up the sleeves and earn the right to be a consistent feature in the first grade team. He wants to take the easy way out and look for an opportunity elsewhere which may not eventuate for him anyway.

slippery5

Juniors
It’s called competition for positions. Fight and earn your spot in first grade. You can’t always play in your preferred position as long as you’re in first grade should be enough until you can force yourself into your preferred position by performance.
Same in any business. Stop acting like spoilt brats!
So you think the team showed more spark when McCullough was rushed back into #9 then when Bud was there showing some support up the middle ????
Or do you think Woods gave us more than Kerr or KO cup best & fairest player of the year for the dragons Jaiyden Hunt could have given us.
Or is it they "weren't" given an opportunity to fight for their positions.
Fight to earn your spot DOES NOT exist in the eyes of Hook.
Give me someone who believes in themself & wants to get a chance to prove themself as a starting player, just like Hynes did, when he was "told" they couldn't guarantee him a starting spot with the Storm.
END OF RANT!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Dragons4me

Juniors
Unfortunately we don't know the truth and probably never will. It's all speculation and guesswork fuelled by the media. I have seen enough of Bud's play to hope like hell he stays. He is something special and his combinations with Amone and Sloan in games has been impressive. I for one would be devastated if we lost either of these three.

SBD82

Coach
I wonder how some of the posters on this forum would react if they had negotiated terms of contract with an employer and signed a contract, only to have that employer, a few months down the track, choose to change their minds and not honour those terms, and then just expect you to shut your mouth and cop it. I'm sure you'd all just grin and bear it wouldn't you 🙄
All these bootlickers would take it without lube and thank the club for the opportunity.

This Year?

Immortal
Maybe Hook is jealous because they earn more than him, so he doesn't pick them out of spite.

Or maybe they are just overrated and aren't performing at an expected level.

Either way we lose :(

justadragon

Bench
i cant speculate what was promised to sullivan, he may be a special player but he is also on good coin for someone not yet proven, the club stood its ground with tallis and in my opinion should do the same here, i consider tallis to have been a better player than sullivan at the time he got stood down

Maximus

Coach
Maybe you could explain why you’re so quick to judge the player and forgive the club, even after 10 years of atrocious administration.

I'm not sure where I've done that, but I don't believe any player should be able to just walk away from a contract because they didn't get handed a position without working for it.

I'm also not exactly sure what the club has done wrong here. Hunt is currently our best halfback and will be our best halfback next year. Re-signing him was the right decision. They obviously see Sullivan as the future, but he needs to put a lot of work in if he wants a long term career in the NRL.

If he gets his wish and gets handed the halfback job at the Bulldogs, I'd bet that by 2025 he's in England

SBD82

Coach
I'm not sure where I've done that, but I don't believe any player should be able to just walk away from a contract because they didn't get handed a position without working for it.

I'm also not exactly sure what the club has done wrong here. Hunt is currently our best halfback and will be our best halfback next year. Re-signing him was the right decision. They obviously see Sullivan as the future, but he needs to put a lot of work in if he wants a long term career in the NRL.

If he gets his wish and gets handed the halfback job at the Bulldogs, I'd bet that by 2025 he's in England
You’re placing a great deal of faith in the club and it’s decision making. Was re-signing Hunt with the demands that he made in the contract the right thing to do?

On the upside, we will probably go back on anything we promised Hunt too. So at least that works in our favor. We’re f**ked. But we’re consistent.

offiah

Juniors
Why would Bud end up in the UK? Do you think the same of Lachlan Illias or Matt Burton? They’re 1 year older and seem to be handling things ok.

Bud might not even be demanding a walk up start at 7, but if he was told he’d have a decent shot at being our 7, and now he has to wait another 2 years (from what he was told) before even getting a chance at it, then it makes sense to go somewhere that believes in him and is willing to let him have a crack at it. Seems hard to blame the guy if he feels he was lied to.

Maximus

Coach
You’re placing a great deal of faith in the club and it’s decision making. Was re-signing Hunt with the demands that he made in the contract the right thing to do?

On the upside, we will probably go back on anything we promised Hunt too. So at least that works in our favor. We’re f**ked. But we’re consistent.

What demands? Were you part of the negotiations, or just believing what Weidler and Rothfield say?

Rod Coil

Juniors
Unfortunately we don't know the truth and probably never will. It's all speculation and guesswork fuelled by the media. I have seen enough of Bud's play to hope like hell he stays. He is something special and his combinations with Amone and Sloan in games has been impressive. I for one would be devastated if we lost either of these three.
I suggest that this is being fuelled solely by his Manager. I am sure that St.George isn’t feeding every blow by blow update to the media. It’s embarrassing to be honest, but hay that’s how it’s done these days to try & agitate for a release. Sad really.

Maximus

Coach
Why would Bud end up in the UK? Do you think the same of Lachlan Illias or Matt Burton? They’re 1 year older and seem to be handling things ok.

Bud might not even be demanding a walk up start at 7, but if he was told he’d have a decent shot at being our 7, and now he has to wait another 2 years (from what he was told) before even getting a chance at it, then it makes sense to go somewhere that believes in him and is willing to let him have a crack at it. Seems hard to blame the guy if he feels he was lied to.

Why would you compare Burton to Sullivan? Burton was always a significantly better player

And Ilias got chucked in because the NRL wouldn't register Milford's contract, so Souths didn't have any other choice. They said numerous times during the year that they wouldn't have played him if they had someone more experienced. Also, he spent most of the year taking a backseat because he had Latrell, Walker and Cook as his spine partners. That's a bit different to Sloan/Ramsey, Amone and whoever is at 9