What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing more of our young guns.

Rod Coil

Juniors
i cant speculate what was promised to sullivan, he may be a special player but he is also on good coin for someone not yet proven, the club stood its ground with tallis and in my opinion should do the same here, i consider tallis to have been a better player than sullivan at the time he got stood down
By the absolute length of the field. No contest.

Maximus

Coach
Is there a new forum rule where we can only comment on contracts if we were there during negotiations?

I must have missed that rule. You’ll be adhering to it too I presume?

How exactly can we comment on if the club were right to meet Hunt's demands if we don't know what they were? The club might have offered him 500k and he wanted 650k. If that's the case then the club was right to meet it. If the club offered 750k and he demanded a million, then no they weren't right to.

It's a bit hard to answer your question when all we have is journos reporting made up numbers.

SBD82

Coach
How exactly can we comment on if the club were right to meet Hunt's demands if we don't know what they were? The club might have offered him 500k and he wanted 650k. If that's the case then the club was right to meet it. If the club offered 750k and he demanded a million, then no they weren't right to.

It's a bit hard to answer your question when all we have is journos reporting made up numbers.
Sure. Dollars are always a source of conjecture, and since they’re not published we can only take the media reporting and filter that through a logical lense.

But I was specifically referring to his demand to play 7. He is also our best 9. But his contract negotiations centred around him playing 7 to extend his career.

Why are we so quick to demonise a young bloke who is trying to do what’s best for himself, when our highest paid player, who also happens to be our captain, isn’t willing to do what’s best for the team.

Maximus

Coach
Sure. Dollars are always a source of conjecture, and since they’re not published we can only take the media reporting and filter that through a logical lense.

But I was specifically referring to his demand to play 7. He is also our best 9. But his contract negotiations centred around him playing 7 to extend his career.

Why are we so quick to demonise a young bloke who is trying to do what’s best for himself, when our highest paid player, who also happens to be our captain, isn’t willing to do what’s best for the team.

Hunt does a good job at hooker 3 times a year when he has DCE and Munster. There's not a chance he could be an 80 min hooker for 20+ games a year, so is that really the best use of our best player?

qld redvee

Juniors
However the elephant in the room with Sullivan is that Ben Hunts contract included next year ( 2023) and Bud was quite prepared to bide his time in the hope/ knowledge that Hunt would not be starting half in year 2024.. Now things have changed with Hunt re signing for 2024 2025.. So as others have said Bud knuckles down and has a breakout season in the halves for reserve grade to pressure coach to include him as starting half for 2024 . asking for a release for 2023 is hard to swallow when he knew hunt was contracted ,, The club and NRL have to "investigate" who has talked to the manager in regards to signing Bud and come down heavy on that person or club. To now also say he is under mental strain is also wrong as he knew hunt was still there in 23. Maybe club sends him to therapy for 6 months to get his head space right . Also if Bud is on $330 thou a year not bad coin you wonder what he has been offered to make the jump

SBD82

Coach
Hunt does a good job at hooker 3 times a year when he has DCE and Munster. There's not a chance he could be an 80 min hooker for 20+ games a year, so is that really the best use of our best player?
He wouldn’t have to be an 80 minute hooker.

And in all likelihood he plays at 7 in 2023 regardless. But his new contract is for 2024 and 2025. Easy to criticise Bud for looking out for himself, but Hunt would have won a lot of respect from me if he’d said that he doesn’t care where he plays, he just wants to contribute to our success in whatever way he can.

If I was Bud, I’d be running for the hills after seeing that sort of attitude from my captain, especially since the club has decided to accomodate Hunt’s demands.

And in all likelihood he plays at 7 in 2023 regardless. But his new contract is for 2024 and 2025. Easy to criticise Bud for looking out for himself, but Hunt would have won a lot of respect from me if he’d said that he doesn’t care where he plays, he just wants to contribute to our success in whatever way he can.

If I was Bud, I’d be running for the hills after seeing that sort of attitude from my captain, especially since the club has decided to accomodate Hunt’s demands.
Shaun Stevenson, a New Zealand union player is reportedly moving to league. This guy is a gun player and athlete and unjustly missed out on an All Black spot for the upcoming tour of Britain. He plays in the outside backs and is very fast and elusive. In his mid 20's I think. I am wondering if the Dolphins are considering a contract. He would be a big catch for St George.

SBD82

Coach
Shaun Stevenson, a New Zealand union player is reportedly moving to league. This guy is a gun player and athlete and unjustly missed out on an All Black spot for the upcoming tour of Britain. He plays in the outside backs and is very fast and elusive. In his mid 20's I think. I am wondering if the Dolphins are considering a contract. He would be a big catch for St George.
Only if he’s willing to do the hard work and sit in reserve grade behind Moga.

possm

Coach
I would prefer to see more structure introduced to the player development process. In the same way that apprentices are trained and developed by a sponsoring company, I'd like to see young players legally bound after making the junior grade to stay on for two years at a salary determined and paid for by the NRL.

possm

Coach
However the elephant in the room with Sullivan is that Ben Hunts contract included next year ( 2023) and Bud was quite prepared to bide his time in the hope/ knowledge that Hunt would not be starting half in year 2024.. Now things have changed with Hunt re signing for 2024 2025.. So as others have said Bud knuckles down and has a breakout season in the halves for reserve grade to pressure coach to include him as starting half for 2024 . asking for a release for 2023 is hard to swallow when he knew hunt was contracted ,, The club and NRL have to "investigate" who has talked to the manager in regards to signing Bud and come down heavy on that person or club. To now also say he is under mental strain is also wrong as he knew hunt was still there in 23. Maybe club sends him to therapy for 6 months to get his head space right . Also if Bud is on $330 thou a year not bad coin you wonder what he has been offered to make the jump
The problem is that Sullivan has no say in the matter. He signed a contract that lasts until the end of 2025. He has had little opportunity to demonstrate his suitability for first-grade halfback mainly because of injury.

If the club wants to keep him, there is no more to discuss. If the club is prepared to let him go, then I suggest the contract needs to be paid out.

draco

Juniors
Monday Buzz: St George Illawarra chairman Craig Young opens up on Dragons’ poor culture

A poor culture has split the St George Illawarra Dragons’ playing ranks and club bosses are infuriated, writes PHIL ROTHFIELD.

St George Illawarra chairman Craig Young has spoken of his disappointment around the club’s poor culture that has split the Dragons’ playing ranks.

That only three players turned up to the club’s recent presentation night infuriated the champion old front-rower and club legend.

In his day there was never a spare seat at St George’s end-of-season awards presentation.

“What happened a few weeks back was disappointing to say the least,” Young said.

“We had eight or nine players who had World Cup commitments and their absence was understandable.

“However the other players should have been there. When I played you couldn’t wait to get there.

“It’s not like you have to pay for anything. It’s free food and drink. There’s no excuse.”

I asked Young if the boycott pointed towards a poor culture – that the players just didn’t care.

“The culture needs working on, for sure,” he said.

“It will be addressed by the CEO and the football manager.

“We can’t hide from it, we’ve got to address it and we will.”

It’s interesting that Young’s comments are directly opposed to those of his CEO Ryan Webb.

“I think it (criticism) is unwarranted because people haven’t really taken into account the reasons why people couldn’t go,” Webb told News Corp last week.

The Dragons have a board meeting on Tuesday and maybe they can sort it out there.

Directors will look at a recently completed off-season review into another disappointing season.

The meeting will confirm that Anthony Griffin will remain as head coach next year and that young stars Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan will be denied release requests.

The events of recent weeks would normally have attracted bigger headlines in the rugby league media.

Only the fact Manly sacked Des Hasler and have been in turmoil for weeks has taken the spotlight off the Dragons and other struggling clubs.

Plus the World Cup being on in England.

The Dragons chairman insists Sloan and Sullivan are going nowhere.

“Young players can get impatient,” Young said. “Other clubs come at them and promise the world.

“We want them for the long haul and we have made a decision not to release them.

“Sullivan has got a great opportunity to learn under Ben Hunt.

“We’ve signed him until 2025. He’s got to roll his sleeves up and get on with it.”

As for Griffin’s future, Young says nothing has changed.

He is contracted for next season and there is no timeline on making a decision for 2024.

“Anthony is the coach and he’s definitely going to be there,” Young said.

“He’ll be at the board meeting as part of the review.

“It was our decision to sign him so we’ve got to support him.

“There is no timeline. We understand players will want to know who is coaching long term but there is no timeline on any decision.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/65e144ff0f98971cf28a4942019c813a

Illusion

Bench
I for one can't see Hook staying on unless the Club does a Mary and signs him further after winning 3 games in a row at the beginning of the year ...... So if Hook gets shafted , who ever takes over , may then move Hunt to 9 when needed to play Bud at 7 ...... Or has Hunt got a get out clause in his contract that if Hook goes he goes , or is there in his contract no playing 9 ..... If it's the first one for me , its see you later Benny .....

BLM01

First Grade
Monday Buzz: St George Illawarra chairman Craig Young opens up on Dragons’ poor culture

A poor culture has split the St George Illawarra Dragons’ playing ranks and club bosses are infuriated, writes PHIL ROTHFIELD.

St George Illawarra chairman Craig Young has spoken of his disappointment around the club’s poor culture that has split the Dragons’ playing ranks.

That only three players turned up to the club’s recent presentation night infuriated the champion old front-rower and club legend.

In his day there was never a spare seat at St George’s end-of-season awards presentation.

“What happened a few weeks back was disappointing to say the least,” Young said.

“We had eight or nine players who had World Cup commitments and their absence was understandable.

“However the other players should have been there. When I played you couldn’t wait to get there.

“It’s not like you have to pay for anything. It’s free food and drink. There’s no excuse.”

I asked Young if the boycott pointed towards a poor culture – that the players just didn’t care.

It’s interesting that Young’s comments are directly opposed to those of his CEO Ryan Webb.

“I think it (criticism) is unwarranted because people haven’t really taken into account the reasons why people couldn’t go,” Webb told News Corp last week.

The Dragons have a board meeting on Tuesday and maybe they can sort it out there.

Directors will look at a recently completed off-season review into another disappointing season.

The meeting will confirm that Anthony Griffin will remain as head coach next year and that young stars Jayden Sullivan and Tyrell Sloan will be denied release requests.

The events of recent weeks would normally have attracted bigger headlines in the rugby league media.

Only the fact Manly sacked Des Hasler and have been in turmoil for weeks has taken the spotlight off the Dragons and other struggling clubs.

“Young players can get impatient,” Young said. “Other clubs come at them and promise the world.

“We want them for the long haul and we have made a decision not to release them.

“We’ve signed him until 2025. He’s got to roll his sleeves up and get on with it.”

He is contracted for next season and there is no timeline on making a decision for 2024.

“There is no timeline. We understand players will want to know who is coaching long term but there is no timeline on any decision.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/65e144ff0f98971cf28a4942019c813a
My issue with all that. Gus Gould told us about culture 3 yrs ago..but still there.
It is not all on Griffin either the poor culture
Why is it up to Webb & Haran into fixing the culture. No chance of that. Haran could be part of the problem.
it is all management staff including the BOD's and coaches job
That is where it all starts and ends with our club
It will never be fixed with my job your job attitudes like this and
never admitting they got it wrong just continue on the same road and think BOD support will fix all and it and come good
Players are only just re-enacting similar to what they see goes on at the highest level

SBD82

Coach

Still trying to find the part of the article where the chairman takes any responsibility for the toxic culture of the club.

justadragon

Bench
Its not his head space that is a problem, its his managers dirty tactics to pull out the mental health card, wow there must be a lot of problems in the juniors over at penrith way considering they won every grade and have the likes of Cleary etc in front of them for years, cant wait for all of them to say we are leaving the club, Sullivan is as big a goose as his manager for allowing mental health issues to be publicised, he will not be seen in a very good light if he leaves under those circumstances. I also notice the Dragons advertisements have changed without much of Sullivan or Sloan to be seen.

BLM01

First Grade

I understand the Hunt negatives if all true but if I have missed the quotes directly from his mouth OK
But what I would like to know as Hunt actually said he would not do that in 2024 and 2025 and demanded the 7 jersey or has it been hin being quoted by others?

justadragon

Bench
I understand the Hunt negatives if all true but if I have missed the quotes directly from his mouth OK
But what I would like to know as Hunt actually said he would not do that in 2024 and 2025 and demanded the 7 jersey or has it been hin being quoted by others?
The only thing I heard him say early in his negotiations was that he was looking at staying in the 7 to prolong his career, he couldnt see that happening if he was at 9. Everything else I heard him say was about getting the contract done in time.

BLM01

First Grade
The only thing I heard him say early in his negotiations was that he was looking at staying in the 7 to prolong his career, he couldnt see that happening if he was at 9. Everything else I heard him say was about getting the contract done in time.
If you are correct that does not mean he would not put the team first in 24.
He was always going to be our 7 bar injury in 23.
Put it this way it was his mananagement in a smart move.
If he said to the world that I am a 14 or makeshift 9 fill in going forward he would of reduced his earning capacity significantly. Saying he is a 7 which he is ATM requests good money.
People talk about QLD. He hardly has ever been a 80 mion No 9 or 1st pick. Harry Grant is 1st pick,
He will play were he is needed, him and his management have just set him up financially till retirement
BTW. Top Hookers have been getting Hunt money and more in recent years.
Cook is on that now. Grant?. Smith was on 1.2 as a great
Farah's last year he was on 900K whenever that was
For me i Think Hunt is slightly overpaid for what he brings but we have to do that ATM
I would of paid him 800K max but we are close enough