What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing more of our young guns.

Dragon David

First Grade
Finally an actual quote from the man himself. Thank you Tyrell. There's a lot of disappointed so-called journo's and news media outlets out there tonight who prefer click bait news stories. All we need is a similar statement from Bud I'll be a happy man.
Great news for the club and us fans. Thanks to Webby and Elliott for being at the Koori comp and for Sloan to see them giving recognition of the indigenous culture. Sloan knows where he stands with having to put in the hard work to become a full-time full back in first grade. He just wants reassurances that he is wanted at the club which is fair enough.

Parko1310

Juniors

St George Illawarra Dragon Tyrell Sloan reveals he has withdrawn request to leave NRL club​

Tyrell Sloan has broken his contract silence and declared where he wants to play in 2023 – one of three big calls on an eventful day at the Dragons. READ THE LATEST.

Aymon Bertah

St George Illawarra rising star Tyrell Sloan has backflipped on his decision to quit the club and will instead stay and fight for a place in the Dragons’ NRL side.

It comes as the Dragons announced they had released George Burgess from the final year of his contract, and signed forward Zane Musgrove from the Wests Tigers.

The Dragons have faced a tumultuous off-season highlighted by player unrest and questions over their culture.

Fullback Sloan and halfback Jayden Sullivan, who are contracted to the Dragons until the end of 2024 and 2025, respectively, have both had formal requests for releases from their deals denied.

Sullivan, 21, made a second attempt to force his departure from the club last Friday, with Canterbury a potential suitor.

However Sloan, 20, has since had a change of heart.

He said it wasn’t a matter of his playing ability, an area he feels “will do the talking”. It was about feeling “wanted” and knowing people at the Dragons believed in him.

“Footy was never the problem with me, it was just to have a good relationship with people [at the club],” Sloan said.

“I’m not worried about if I get the fullback position or not, I’m confident in my ability, I just need to know that the club I’m representing, believe in me.”

RELEASE REJECTED

After making his NRL debut in 2021, Sloan only played eight games this season.

He started at fullback for the opening three rounds of the season before he lost his place to Cody Ramsey. He featured in the No.1 jumper once more, in round 10, before remaining in reserve grade until Round 20, featuring as an interchange player before two games on the wing.

Sloan handed in his release request to club chairman Craig Young – the grandfather of one of his best mates – thinking “he’d let me go”.

“But that wasn’t the case,” Sloan said.

“It was a conversation where this is my club, this is where I grew up, and for a period during the [past] year I asked myself ‘would anyone really care if I asked for a release or if I wanted to go’.

“But that’s where it all came back to, and a lot of the people at the club stepped up and said they believed in me as a fullback.

“I just want to make that my jersey, and secure my position.”

Having grown up with strong Indigenous family values, it was the actions of Dragons CEO Ryan Webb that sealed Sloan’s U-turn.

“He was very upfront about everything in [me] making a decision … it’s really important for myself to be comfortable,” Sloan said.

“To have someone that’s the CEO, not so much like whether it’s the coach or another player, it’s the CEO that I was talking to.

“When you feel wanted, those are the sort of guys you want to be talking to, because at the end of the day, they’re the ones making the decisions.”

KOORI CONNECTION

Sloan had deliberated over the past couple of months, but said his decision was made clear when Webb and Dragons mentor Matt Elliott came to this month’s Koori Knockout in Nowra, being the only NRL representatives in attendance.

Latrell Mitchell recently voiced his disappointment at the lack of NRL representation at the event, declaring “every club should be there”.

Something Sloan agreed with wholeheartedly.

“It’s a massive talent pool for young Indigenous kids, and if clubs are fair dinkum and want Aboriginal talent, that’s where it is,” Sloan said.

“So that was a big tick for the club, because it looked like they wanted to take an interest in us young kids and that’s why I spoke about Webby.

“He was the only one that I saw from an NRL club, it was massive … it wasn’t fake, he was there the whole day and he wanted to learn about our culture and how we all connect.

“It shows he respects our culture, it’s built on respect and I don’t think he once felt out of place.”

This was a driving reason for Sloan, who pointed towards Webb’s involvement with Kane Ellis from the local Aboriginal Medical Service and how he hasn’t “shied away” from having “awkward conversations”.

“At the moment there’s not a lot of people around the club that have any knowledge about [our culture], it’s probably more player driven,” Sloan said.

“So having Webby, who supports our culture, who can be proud of it as well and working with uncle Kane, can only give us confidence as young kids to be able to share our values with the rest of the club.”

THE FUTURE

Now the dust has settled, Sloan is focused on helping the club return to the finals for the first time since 2018.

“It was playing on my mind a lot, if I had to relocate and go somewhere else,” Sloan said.

“But at the end of the day, my grandma lives in Wollongong and I would’ve struggled to leave. It’s definitely a big weight off my shoulders.

“I want to win comps now, I want to settle down and start playing good footy and I guess to repay Webby and everyone that asked me to stay.”

FORWARD MOVES

The Dragons on Monday announced they had secured Tigers forward Musgrove for the 2023 season, becoming the second Tigers player to join the club after Jacob Liddle signed with the Red-V last month.

He will take the spot of Burgess, who has been released from his 2023 deal following a tumultuous time at the club, where he only managed four games.

“Zane is an established NRL player with a strong physical presence and will be a great addition to our forward pack,” Dragons general manager of football, Ben Haran, said.

“We’ve been looking to build our forward pack and we’re excited to see Zane join the Dragons.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...b/news-story/ad178b2576691322371585d5d7888876
Well done to Webb and Elliott. Ryan Webb is one of the few shining lights this club has had in a long time. He's actively trying to make things better and good on him. It's that board of incompetence holding him and this club back.

justadragon

Bench
good onya tyrell, every member on this forum wanted you to play your best and be a dragon for many years, you have the talent mate and now you have the desire, all the best to you tyrell make it happen its in your hands. to webb well done and elliott, we could have done with some positive news and you delivered, good on you guys now take sullivan within the group and show him where the path is.

Last edited:

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Some common sense is prevailing at last.
Maybe he’s realising that the grass is not always greener on the other side. After all as much as I admire and respect saint Benny for the fun he brought to the club in 09/10 he is imo becoming yesterday’s man.

draco

Juniors

St George Illawarra forward Jack Gosiewski breaks his silence on Dragons demise​

Another dejected St George Illawarra player has spoken out about the treatment that led to him leaving the troubled NRL club, writes Paul Crawley

Another dejected St George Illawarra Dragon has broken his silence about his shock exile this season that strangely followed what should have been the proudest moment of his young life.

Jack Gosiewski has revealed how he did not play another game of NRL after withdrawing from a match in round 11 due to complications relating to the birth of his first born baby, little Goldie.

Coming on the back of George Burgess’ explosive revelations about how he fell out with coach Anthony Griffin at the troubled NRL club, Gosiewski opened up about his very personal story of heartbreak that has now left his own career at the crossroads.

Gosiewski, 28, is still unsigned for next season although there is speculation he could end up at the North Queensland Cowboys.

But he maintains he is still at a loss to explain how he fell out of favour with Griffin so spectacularly immediately after he was forced to make the toughest call off his rugby league career.

A battling young forward who moved to the Dragons from Manly this season on the promise of playing more consistent NRL, Gosiewski had played four games in the opening 10 rounds and was set to start in round 11 against the Warriors only for it to coincide with the baby’s arrival.

Gosiewski and partner Avalon had wanted to make it a “home birth” but it didn’t go as smoothly as hoped when Avalon was rushed to hospital the day before the game.

“We were set to play on the Saturday and we ended up having our son on the Friday,’ Gosiewski recalled.

“My missus went through pretty much two full nights of labour at home and then on the Friday morning we ended up going to the hospital and she ended up having a C-section.

“So I had missed captain’s run and the game was the next day.

“Because of what I had been through emotionally and physically, like I pretty much hadn’t slept for two days and then obviously the stress of having the C-section and going to the hospital was a lot, I thought that I would try and do the right thing by the team.”

But that decision backfired badly when the following week he not only lost his spot in the starting team but was wiped from the top 17 altogether.

Sadly, that ended up being the case for the remainder of the season, with Gosiewski not playing another NRL game.

This was despite the fact his form was good enough to win him a spot in the NSW Cup team of the year.

“If it was a once in a lifetime game like a grand final or a prelim I probably would have played,” he continued.

“But it was mid-year and I was trying to put the team first by putting someone fresher in.

“I didn’t want to go out there and let myself down or let the team down so I put them first, and obviously my family.”

Asked if he felt the decision was the catalyst for his exile, he added: “I don’t want to sit here and say yes but it … I don’t know. That’s the reality.

“It was just tough for me to go from a starting position to not even thereabouts for the rest of the year. Not even in the 22. I wasn’t even in the picture.”

He said he had “numerous chats” with Griffin but could never work out why he never got another go.

“After that when I was playing reserve grade and playing really good footy, I would ask, ‘How am I going? What am I doing good?’

“Pretty much the conversation would be, ‘You are doing really good, just keep doing what you are doing’.

“But that ended up to me having a four-month-old child and two pay cheques left and no contract. You know what I mean?

“I didn’t think it would end up panning out the way it did. It obviously has and here I am.”

Asked to comment on speculation the Dragons are suffering from a toxic culture and player unrest after reports only three players turned up at the recent presentation night, Gosiewski said: “I don’t want to talk about that.

“I am just going to talk about what happened to me.

“I am not disappointed that I have got a beautiful healthy boy.

“But it would have been my biggest game for the year because if I had played decent in that game, which I am sure I would have, I would have stayed there.

“I was playing really good footy.

“I feel like at any other club I would have been playing NRL.

“And it is just that decision that sort of haunts me.

“My missus was begging me to play because she knew how big of a game it was for me.

“Like, I would never change the decision, even knowing what the outcome was.

“I would happily do that again.

“But I thought the next week I would be back on the bench and everything would be sweet.

“It is a cutthroat business.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/c56b31b9368c595ed88dd9598f892053

Jim Dragons

Juniors
Total beat up. But I do hate the RL media constantly putting the slipper in at every opportunity. Remember last year it was family heritage names like Wishart & Rodwell leaving, no disrespect but the only players I’m aware of losing that have done anything are Saab, Schoupp & perhaps Schiller.

We need a scandal like Penrith cheating the salary cap to take the attention away 😂
Did I hear that Penrith got caught (laughs)...
But agreed - they may be the odd one we loose - but like they say we can't keep em all... and we do have a few good young ones sitting on the edge of permanent FG

BLM01

First Grade
True.. he is gone and they are just waiting to appoint someone as the pressure mounts from everywhere.
But I dont think old Jack or George B did anything to deserve a 1st grade spot on field either, although there were a few others in the 17 in that category.

This Year?

Immortal
I thought Gojetski had a pretty good pre-season, then in one game he missed a couple of crucial tackles and never saw 1st grade again.
He definitely made the right call about choosing his wife and child over a football game, If the coach couldn't accept that then it's really poor.
Also the Daily Telegraph can go f**k itself because currently there is a World Cup happening with so many great stories for so many players, but they rather take the low road and continue their hate campaign on a club they've had it in for since the 90's with more gutter journalism.
Scum.

Dragon David

First Grade

St George Illawarra forward Jack Gosiewski breaks his silence on Dragons demise​

Another dejected St George Illawarra player has spoken out about the treatment that led to him leaving the troubled NRL club, writes Paul Crawley

Another dejected St George Illawarra Dragon has broken his silence about his shock exile this season that strangely followed what should have been the proudest moment of his young life.

Jack Gosiewski has revealed how he did not play another game of NRL after withdrawing from a match in round 11 due to complications relating to the birth of his first born baby, little Goldie.

Coming on the back of George Burgess’ explosive revelations about how he fell out with coach Anthony Griffin at the troubled NRL club, Gosiewski opened up about his very personal story of heartbreak that has now left his own career at the crossroads.

Gosiewski, 28, is still unsigned for next season although there is speculation he could end up at the North Queensland Cowboys.

But he maintains he is still at a loss to explain how he fell out of favour with Griffin so spectacularly immediately after he was forced to make the toughest call off his rugby league career.

A battling young forward who moved to the Dragons from Manly this season on the promise of playing more consistent NRL, Gosiewski had played four games in the opening 10 rounds and was set to start in round 11 against the Warriors only for it to coincide with the baby’s arrival.

Gosiewski and partner Avalon had wanted to make it a “home birth” but it didn’t go as smoothly as hoped when Avalon was rushed to hospital the day before the game.

“We were set to play on the Saturday and we ended up having our son on the Friday,’ Gosiewski recalled.

“My missus went through pretty much two full nights of labour at home and then on the Friday morning we ended up going to the hospital and she ended up having a C-section.

“Because of what I had been through emotionally and physically, like I pretty much hadn’t slept for two days and then obviously the stress of having the C-section and going to the hospital was a lot, I thought that I would try and do the right thing by the team.”

But that decision backfired badly when the following week he not only lost his spot in the starting team but was wiped from the top 17 altogether.

Sadly, that ended up being the case for the remainder of the season, with Gosiewski not playing another NRL game.

This was despite the fact his form was good enough to win him a spot in the NSW Cup team of the year.

“If it was a once in a lifetime game like a grand final or a prelim I probably would have played,” he continued.

“But it was mid-year and I was trying to put the team first by putting someone fresher in.

“I didn’t want to go out there and let myself down or let the team down so I put them first, and obviously my family.”

Asked if he felt the decision was the catalyst for his exile, he added: “I don’t want to sit here and say yes but it … I don’t know. That’s the reality.

“It was just tough for me to go from a starting position to not even thereabouts for the rest of the year. Not even in the 22. I wasn’t even in the picture.”

He said he had “numerous chats” with Griffin but could never work out why he never got another go.

“After that when I was playing reserve grade and playing really good footy, I would ask, ‘How am I going? What am I doing good?’

“Pretty much the conversation would be, ‘You are doing really good, just keep doing what you are doing’.

“But that ended up to me having a four-month-old child and two pay cheques left and no contract. You know what I mean?

“I didn’t think it would end up panning out the way it did. It obviously has and here I am.”

Asked to comment on speculation the Dragons are suffering from a toxic culture and player unrest after reports only three players turned up at the recent presentation night, Gosiewski said: “I don’t want to talk about that.

“But it would have been my biggest game for the year because if I had played decent in that game, which I am sure I would have, I would have stayed there.

“My missus was begging me to play because she knew how big of a game it was for me.

“But I thought the next week I would be back on the bench and everything would be sweet.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/c56b31b9368c595ed88dd9598f892053
So another "mistreated" player. Where does it end?

Dragon David

First Grade
That is absolutely atrocious behaviour from the STGI club. The sooner Hook & his cronies are kicked out the better. That is not Stgeorge behaviour.
As I've said - no empathy just thinking of himself is Hook. Even if several of the players might not have deserved playing first grade, certain actions that give the bad signals makes the players feel that they are not wanted or "part of the team/squad" even though they might be busting their guts to improve and get selected for first grade. There appears to have been no sincere encouragement given to some. I feel that more stories will come out as the days get closer to the pre-season.

Maximus

Coach

Lol what an absolute trash article from the biggest grub in the media.

If I was Gosiewski, I'd be embarrassed to allow myself to be used for agenda driven garbage like this.

As for going from a starting position to nothing, he was named to start after McGuire got himself suspended. He would have got 1 or 2 games and then been dropped anyway because Su'A was returning and McGuire would be back. In the end, Sims replaced him and played well so he wasn't getting dropped.

As for Burgess, who gives a shit what an alleged perpetrator of sexual assault has to say.

Qdf

Juniors
As I've said - no empathy just thinking of himself is Hook. Even if several of the players might not have deserved playing first grade, certain actions that give the bad signals makes the players feel that they are not wanted or "part of the team/squad" even though they might be busting their guts to improve and get selected for first grade. There appears to have been no sincere encouragement given to some. I feel that more stories will come out as the days get closer to the pre-season.
Definitely favour given to those "ex" qld'ers.Corey Norman was possibly the worst example. Or maybe McCullough this year or was it McGuire. Hunt playing 7.
The list is quite extensive.
Goodbye Hook the sooner the better.

Illusion

Bench
The way they are going they will never be a great club again ...... St George side and the Illawarra side of the merger seem to be split ..... One year it's the Illawarra side chairman of the board, then the next year its the St George side of the merger .....

Latest posts