What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lote Tuqiri

Karl

Juniors
Sad to hear this. I'm a big Lote fan. I still remember him in the 2003 RWC. He was awesome, but that's nearly 10 years ago.

It seems the desire goes then they lose the physicality then it's all just an inevitable spiral. Few do a Lockyer.

N.C.

Juniors
Two years sounds about right. He'll be just about finding some form by the time he retires, if his current trajectory continues...

Seriously though - if he takes a fair cut in pay it would be good to keep him around a little while longer. It can't do any harm to have him on our books while we're bringing Koroibete through the ranks.

Tiger05

First Grade
It can't do any harm to have him on our books while we're bringing Koroibete through the ranks.

With Sheens it can. He doesn't really drop players. He does get rid of them but typically he plays them if they are available.

Keeping Tuqiri could mean keeping a better option out of first grade.

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...years-for-tigers/story-e6frfgbo-1226367807459

Lote Tuqiri is hoping to play 'a few more years' for Tigers

HAVING regained his mental mojo after a "nightmare" year with injury, Lote Tuqiri is hoping to finalise his future over the next fortnight.
Nearing the end of a three-year deal at Wests Tigers, the dual international has drawn enough hunger to play on after surviving a cursed 12 months that featured a broken arm, staph infection, ankle syndesmosis, quad strain and wrist reconstruction.
And Tuqiri, who will turn 33 in September, has a genetic wildcard in his favour, with Tigers officials mindful that Fijian-blooded athletes tend to defy Father Time.
Slowly resurrecting his form and confidence ahead of his seventh outing of 2012, against the Cowboys today Tuqiri is not contemplating retirement.
"I'm just waiting to see how the body comes along," he said. "With the amount of (rehab) work I've put in over the past six months, it's feeling pretty good.

"I think the body will tell me when it's time and it's not telling me that now.
"I'll probably sit down at the table with the Tigers soon.
"There's other interest out there but I've not gone down that path of talking to different parties.
"Hopefully next week, or the week after that, I'll be able to talk to the Tigers."
Starting with a broken arm last March, 2011 degenerated into an all-time low for a cult figure who's tasted the highs of premiership glory and Rugby World Cups.
Tuqiri managed to return for the finals, but has now revealed he suffered through August and September with a torn left wrist ligament.
It required reconstructive surgery in December that limited Tuqiri's pre-season to running and cardio.
"Last year was a nightmare for me," Tuqiri said.
"I would get injured then comeback and do something totally unrelated.
"To be honest, I'm just getting over it now.
"I'd never been through anything like that and I didn't think it would hinder me as much mentally.
"I'm still not setting the world on fire and there's a lot of room to improve. But it helps that I'm back on the field and the coaching staff have shown a lot of faith in me."
Whether that faith extends to a new deal remains to be seen, with the club's 2013 roster filling fast after the recruitment of Braith Anasta, Eddie Pettybourne and Bodene Thompson.
But having guided Fijian evergreens Noa Nadruku (Raiders and Cowboys) and Petero Civoniceva (Australia), Tigers coach Tim Sheens has an appreciation of Tuqiri's potential longevity.
"The Fijian blood tends to go pretty good, so I'm thankful to my parents for that," Tuqiri laughed. "As long as I can keep my body in good shape and do everything right off the field I can hopefully still play for a few more years."

Shines will re-sign him...

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
Hey guys -- has anyone noticed that every single winger we have with first grade experience is off contract this year.....

We have spent money on Anasta and several forwards. I suspect that all of the current crop will remain, as I would be surprised if we have any money left for external signings.

AND I would hate to go into next year with no, or just one winger with NRL experience.

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Lote is getting back into form

At his age and size he needs games.

Remember he missed pre season.

Another factor is that he played 7 years in union so his body is probably still like that of a 25yo. It's not like he's been getting smashed in league for 15 years. He's settled in the area and would probably be relatively cheap. Still quick, big, makes metres. Him and Utai are like 2 extra forwards off our own line which is what we need given the heartless kick returns of the Dr Sheens pet project at fullback

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys -- has anyone noticed that every single winger we have with first grade experience is off contract this year.....

We have spent money on Anasta and several forwards. I suspect that all of the current crop will remain, as I would be surprised if we have any money left for external signings.

AND I would hate to go into next year with no, or just one winger with NRL experience.
Pretty sure Beau Ryan has already extended his terms here.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
For what its worth I'd rather re-sign Utai for his long standing continued effort (yep he has deficincies but he tries) rahter than waste any further coin on Tuqiri.

moller

Juniors
If he keeps up this (admittedly short run of) form, I'd happily see him around another year or two. Pending $$$ obviously, but given his marketability that shouldn't be an issue.
He had about 6 completely unrelated injuries last year - it was always going to take a fair while to get back up to speed.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
If he keeps up this (admittedly short run of) form, I'd happily see him around another year or two. Pending $$$ obviously, but given his marketability that shouldn't be an issue.
He had about 6 completely unrelated injuries last year - it was always going to take a fair while to get back up to speed.

Agreed, his last two games have been very good.

So as long as him going around for another year does not cost us Nofoaluma or Koroibete I don't mind.

Nofoaluma has already re-signed, so its only Koroibete we have to worry about. This guy had another top game on Sunday, we must keep him.

Agreed, his last two games have been very good.

So as long as him going around for another year does not cost us Nofoaluma or Koroibete I don't mind.

Nofoaluma has already re-signed, so its only Koroibete we have to worry about. This guy had another top game on Sunday, we must keep him.

Koroibete is on until the end of 2013 I think Hybrid.

Latest posts