What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowes view on Yawnion

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I will be eagerly awaiting a reaction from the ARU and NZRU over this article.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/466/story.cfm?
c_id=466&ObjectID=10400220

Graham Lowe: It's all gone a bit flat

Friday September 8, 2006

If you've still got an old school tie in the wardrobe, think there's something wonderful about "crouch, hold, engage" or still believe the All Blacks are a world-class sports team, DO NOT read on.

Exposure to this column could well bring on the type of "mental anxiety" in true blue rugby fans that All Black forward coach Steve Hansen has identified in the current outfit, which wound up its season with a loss to the only-recently judged hopeless and written-off Springboks.

I've been around footballers for a long time and thought I'd seen or heard of every medical or psychological condition they could suffer.

But this one has, fair dinkum, got me beat.

So too has New Zealand's fixation with a game that seems designed for mostly mediocre athletes and which is almost always played at about that skill level.

I'm aware that this is likely to be greeted with outrage by the faithful hordes who turn out relentlessly during the New Zealand winter, and follow the national team all over the world.

Hells bells, I might never be allowed into Eden Park again.

Well cop this as well: my view is that rugby does not even come close to league as a spectacle, a showcase of skills and stamina, and a platform for 80 minutes of excitement.

The argument from the die-hard rah-rahs usually doing the rounds at this time of year is that (if) the standard of league is better, it's because the NRL is in its finals series and there's not much doing on the rugby scene.

Well, we've just laboured through a whole programme of international rugby and we haven't yet seen a league semifinal.

Last Saturday night I made the logical choice for any father of 3-year-old twins and recorded the All Blacks-Springbok test and the Manly-Storm NRL match.

The league provided almost non-stop action, quality passing and handling, certain defence and a referee who was virtually anonymous.

The rugby looked like just another in a series of the very ordinary efforts we have seen throughout the much-hyped Tri-Nations series. Boring, appalling handling and yet another prima donna referee.

The first stoppage came after 42 seconds and, from then on, the whistle went more often than a traffic policeman's in Bangkok.

I gave up counting after 35 stoppages in the first half - some for almost two minutes at a time. When the supposed tough guys of the front row needed a breather or were pushed on defence, they just sat down and the whole game came to a standstill while someone came on to rub water on a knee or a calf.

The referee looked as though he was enjoying a much-needed break - shades of the official I heard tell the players during a game recently: "Let's just slow it down, fellas!"

In league you sit down at your team's peril because the game will just continue around you.

Take Richie McCaw and Dan Carter off the field and you're left with, well ... not much really.

The All Black lineout is a farce.

These guys are full-time professional footballers who have as much time to practise as Tiger Woods or Roger Federer.

What I saw repeatedly in the lineouts was to me, akin to Tiger peppering one of his rounds with two or three air-shots.

Mental anxiety? Sure, if you're talking about Hansen contemplating whether he will retain his job.

Is this really how the world's best side should be handling basic skills in such a vital part of the game? Hansen is now asking the nation to get behind the effort to improve the lineout.

Here's an original thought: for a start, what about only picking players who can throw the ball in properly, and others who can jump and catch a football at the same time? Perhaps he can also explain why we're seeing jersey numbers one to five parked outside the wings so often when speed, not bulk, is required.

While I'm warmed up, it's a mystery to me why no one has ever complained under the Fair Trading Act about rugby's ludicrous advantage law.

It's ridiculous to see the law applied for anything up to 90 seconds before the referee decides to take the play back to where an advantage was gained.

From what I can see, the clock isn't then wound back 90 seconds. So that period of meaningless play is lost, irrelevant and dispensed with.

Up to a dozen of these situations occur in every game - I'd be asking for my money back for the meaningless minutes!

Certainly rugby has found itself under some fire this season, and a call I had this week from a well-known rugby identity confirmed my suspicions that there are more than a few ex-All Blacks unhappy with Graham Henry's rotation policy, which is cheapening the jersey.

But I suspect there has been a lot of embarrassment about Henry's intention to approach the IRB about the issue of protecting key players on the field. Can anyone imagine this being the case with former great All Black forwards such as Colin Meads, Kel Tremain, Ian Kirkpatrick and co?

These guys were all more than useful at looking after their own and sorting their own issues out on the field, thanks very much.

For those whose anger-meter is now red-lining, don't get me wrong. I'm not absolutely anti-rugby.

But those of us with a long heritage of having to suffer the prejudices of our schoolteachers because we opted to play league instead of 1st XV rugby (I was refused a reference for my sins) still feel the extraordinary bias against the 13-man game.

And to finish, a true story.

In 1992, the All Blacks went down 19-17 to Australia at Ballymore. The loss hit New Zealand Rugby hard and one of the union's board sponsors and a mate of mine, Kevin Roberts (always one to think out of the square), asked me if I could arrange for our Manly statisticians to analyse a videotape of the All Black players' performances.

When the results came back, I was gobsmacked and instructed our guys to do the exercise again.

Back they came with the same result: Half the All Blacks didn't feature in the stats.

Remember, they were being analysed against the criteria required by Manly to gauge player performances.

The analysts were staggered at the poor individual stats. At least one player failed to register a single tackle, or run with the ball.

I called Roberts and told him I didn't think he could show the results to the team - it would be too demoralising.

I don't know to this day whether he did.

Suffice to say, the massed media looking on saw the game as an absorbing and titanic struggle. Now that's the sort of blinkered thinking and bias that causes me "mental anxiety".

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Last Saturday night I made the logical choice for any father of 3-year-old twins and recorded the All Blacks-Springbok test and the Manly-Storm NRL match.

The league provided almost non-stop action, quality passing and handling, certain defence and a referee who was virtually anonymous.

The rugby looked like just another in a series of the very ordinary efforts we have seen throughout the much-hyped Tri-Nations series. Boring, appalling handling and yet another prima donna referee.

You see no relevance to the NRL?

gregstar

Referee
LOL!

fantastic article.
fat slobs leaning against a maul or gathering around eachother "talking tactics" every 2 minutes aren't athletes.

the sooner the aru goes bankrupt & the asociated queers & players are banished from the mainland, the better for all of us.

Sean7

Juniors
I walked into a bar a few months ago when there was a NZ v SA game on the big screen. There was only about 20min left or something and the score was about 30-16. I thought NZ were giving it to them until I saw they had both scored two tries. WTF.

Rugby is a joke. And the above game isn't even what you'd call an extremely bad example. There's been plenty that have been much worse.

And the scoring system is seriously stuffed, much like soccer, where when a guy may or may not have performed an illegal tackle in the goal square will result in earning you a point in a game where a point is like gold.

Rugby League has great balance in comparison and the pressure is on throughout the entire game. Something can happen at any time, whereas Rugby players trudge on trying to earn a penalty, so they can get down the other end and think about a try before opting for the field goal.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
You have to have serious doubts about a game so often decided on who gets the most penalty goal shots. Needless to say though the rugby fans go delirious every time they get one. That only goes to show how boring the rest of the game is.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I believe the only reason people go to RU is to be allowed to sing off key. It's a sick social mental disease that needs urgent funding from the Federal Government. The only problem is the Prime Minister is afflicted with the condition himself.

SOULS 04

Juniors
i think there is about 1 good game in 30-40 games of union... and the clash of the big names are almost never it.

id much rather watch teams like fiji, samoa, and scotland.

Woods99

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
I really like Graham Lowe, he is a smart human.

LOL

Lowes.......clothing store for bogans? Or am I missing something here?

Maybe he would be better off trying to work out why the Worriers struggle to draw more than a couple of thousand spectators to their home games, and why Bartercard matches draw a few hundred, on a good day.

Woods99 said:
Lowes.......clothing store for bogans? Or am I missing something here?

Do you ever not miss anything?

If you were any dumber you'd be inanimate.

Woods99 said:
Maybe he would be better off trying to work out why the Worriers struggle to draw more than a couple of thousand spectators to their home games, and why Bartercard matches draw a few hundred, on a good day.

So, Bartercard is the equal of Sydney Club Union?

How many NRL players play in the Bartercard Cup?

How many Waratahs play in the Sydney Union comp?

You know the answers, you know you're a dolt and you know whenever you poke your head up someone's going to stick their boot into you.

Paley

Juniors
The argument from the die-hard rah-rahs usually doing the rounds at this time of year is that (if) the standard of league is better, it's because the NRL is in its finals series and there's not much doing on the rugby scene.

I wonder what Lowe thinks the R in NRL stands for?

nqboy

First Grade
The Wok's got a good line about Yawnyawn. Something along the lines of rebutting a yawyawn claim that a certain team were playing 10 man rugby, he retorted that yawnyawn was a 14 man game, a game where 14 player try like heck to get the ball up the attcking end so their 5/8 could have a shot at a field goal or penalty goal. Yok, yok, yok, Wok.

t-ba

Post Whore
Paley said:

Culturally he's 100% on though. Rugby has always been 'league' in NZ and Onion has always been 'Rugby.' Unlike Australia, where the ARU stole the word Rugby during the Super League War (Thanks Rupert!)

Kingbunny

Juniors
Paley said:

Graham Lowe uses the terms "Rugby League" and "rugby union" on a radio talkshow every monday morning here in NZ. I believe the rugby/league terms come from the NZ herald newspaper editoral staff. The problem is the pro-unionists journalist here. I've heard comments made such as "NRL League". What the hell is NRL League ? Unfortunately, these journalist have no idea.

Graham also made the same comments on this radio program. Very funny stuff until "Tony the no idea Johnson" (the same guy that commentates union on foxunionsports) used the same old union crap that Rugby League is only played in 3 countries. At this point my wife turned the radio off knowning how piss off I'd become.