What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers all time 17 Team. Final Result.

JJ

Immortal
Edwards
Too
Critta
Fittler
Gordon
Brandy
Nathan
Leota
Priddis (though i wouldnt be against Api)
Fish
Kikau
Lewis
Yeo

Gower (covers halves & Hooker) otherwise Api
Martin
Clinton
Tony P
As someone who was a huge Panthers fan around 1990, it's astonishing that the 89-91 team isn't getting more love - clearly the current team is special, but that one was too, and would have done more if not for the tragedy...

Brad Izzard, Steve Carter, Col van der Voort, Hos, Geyer, Clarke, Dunn, and of course Roycie can't be too far off McIndoe, Smith and McKay were good too, and Chris Mortimer and Peter Kelly made huge contributions to the eventual success

As an aside, I loved what Ben Ross used to offer from the bench

FWIW, think I'd go something like
Edwards
To'o
Fittler
Girdler
Crichton
Luai
Cleary
JFH
Gower
Dunn
Cartwright
Geyer
Yeo

Res
Brandy
Leota
Martin
17 spot could be a lot of people - maybe Puletua

MugaB

Coach
As someone who was a huge Panthers fan around 1990, it's astonishing that the 89-91 team isn't getting more love - clearly the current team is special, but that one was too, and would have done more if not for the tragedy...

Brad Izzard, Steve Carter, Col van der Voort, Hos, Geyer, Clarke, Dunn, and of course Roycie can't be too far off McIndoe, Smith and McKay were good too, and Chris Mortimer and Peter Kelly made huge contributions to the eventual success

Edwards
To'o
Fittler
Girdler
Crichton
Luai
Cleary
JFH
Gower
Dunn
Cartwright
Geyer
Yeo

Res
Brandy
Leota
Martin
I like, but no royce? You say there's lack of love for the 90s team, but Royce was the heartbeat, I also like the forwards and reserve picks here

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
I like, but no royce? You say there's lack of love for the 90s team, but Royce was the heartbeat, I also like the forwards and reserve picks here
Yeah, if you’re playing that 80s style Rocyie all day… but I was just thinking more creativity is needed in modern footy, and Gower was an amazing hooker…. But Roycie is the Panthers for me…

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade

Edwards
To'o
Fittler
Girdler
Crichton
Luai
Cleary
JFH
Gower
Dunn
Cartwright
Geyer
Yeo

Res
Brandy
Leota
Martin
Civanociva

The Realist

Juniors
The worst thing about Petero was that he ended up becoming an agitator. He was a big part of the toxic 'player power' culture at the time and was a big Matthew Elliot supporter.

At one of the post game fan gatherings we used to have out the back of the western stand Petero literally lobbied the crowd to vote against the club leadership of the time and he was no fan of Gus and the accountability and professionalism he wanted to bring to the team.

I remember being astounded by just how brazen Petero was that day.

IDK if Petero would have averaged 200 metres and 35 tackles with no misses a game. He would have still been AWFUL for the club just based on how toxic he was to the culture at the time.

P.S - even though it was a dark period in Panther history and Elliot was a shocking coach - I miss how fan friendly and accessible the club was back then. Those post game fan gatherings for the die hard fans were great and there was a real sense of community and camaraderie that IMO has been lost in the last decade or so which is a real shame.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
The worst thing about Petero was that he ended up becoming an agitator. He was a big part of the toxic 'player power' culture at the time and was a big Matthew Elliot supporter.

At one of the post game fan gatherings we used to have out the back of the western stand Petero literally lobbied the crowd to vote against the club leadership of the time and he was no fan of Gus and the accountability and professionalism he wanted to bring to the team.

I remember being astounded by just how brazen Petero was that day.

IDK if Petero would have averaged 200 metres and 35 tackles with no misses a game. He would have still been AWFUL for the club just based on how toxic he was to the culture at the time.

P.S - even though it was a dark period in Panther history and Elliot was a shocking coach - I miss how fan friendly and accessible the club was back then. Those post game fan gatherings for the die hard fans were great and there was a real sense of community and camaraderie that IMO has been lost in the last decade or so which is a real shame.

I still have some Big League annuls from that period. Lets have a look.

08: 23 avg Tackles, 90% effective 142 metres gained. Highest at the club that year.
09: 26 avg Tackles, 89 effective tackles 139 MG. Highest at the club that year. 12 games.
10: 22 avg Tackles, 90 effective tackles 139 MG. Highest at the club that year.
I never bothered with 2011 magazine. I was disillusioned with the club that year.

His numbers aren't too bad for a starting prop @ $370k. Particularly given his age, and who our idiot coach was. As Bred says it wasn't his fault our management let go Gower and wasted a HB's money on an aging prop.

Leary proclaimed him our greatest signing at the time. This is the same man that promised we would be signing a high-quality centre. In return we got Mark O'Halloran.
8 years later Gould would trumpet Merrin as our greatest signing, at double Civo's price! Neither were our greatest signings. I was glad to see the back of both at the end.
I always think a club proclaiming a great signing, should be done at the end of the players time at the club. Not before they start.

We never had the Ben Kennedy effect Manly got. Signing an experienced tough inspirational leader that set high standards on and off the field.

As you correctly said, his off-field toxic 'player power' culture at the time, and being a staunch Elliott defender probably sums up his time here. In that regard it leaves a sour taste for many Panther supporters, and our memories of him here.

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I still have some Big League annuls from that period. Lets have a look.

08: 23 avg Tackles 90% effective 142 metres gained. Highest at the club thta year
09: 22 avg Tackles, 90 effective tackles 139 MG. Highest at the club that year.
How many try assists? Since we were paying him about the same as JT was on

The Scotsman

Juniors

Why are you not a Penrith fan anymore?

The yak

Juniors
This would have been a good signing... but he got a 20% premium to come here. The club was desperate for any name when Gower left.

They had a wad of cash and threw at the first player that said yes.

Everyone knew Preston would be going home if Gold Coast got back in. He gave the club plenty of notice of his intentions.
To lose Gower and particular Wallace the following season after presto was an absolute shitshow.

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
Richie Williams, Arana (rotten tomato) Taumata, Brendan Worth, Brett Firman, Daine Laurie (the forward) Adam Woolnough, Joe Williams, Buddy Gordon, Timana Tahu, Adrian Purtell.
All bums that were signed by Elliott and Leary.
I am glad that era is over.

Purts is the heart attack recovering GOAT. Wash your mouth out.

Joe Williams got scapegoated by the club like I’ve never seen happen before. One game wasn’t it?

All names mentioned had (bits of) talent in fairness. Just having them all in the one place, at the same time, was peak penny panthers.

Latest posts