What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai, the new JT?

Valheru

Coach
I suppose if it had to happen it's better now than a few rounds out from the finals. It gives Walker more time to get into the swing of 1st grade. Sualli as well I imagine.

Can't mope around about it, shit happens.

Look no further than the raiders and souths last year who lost Hodgson and Latrell to long term injuries respectively and still gave the finals a good crack.

Winning the comp is a long shot now, history says you need luck with injuries to go all the way but there is still a lot of talent in the team and if they are serious they should at least be providing a tough out for the top teams come finals time.

The_Frog

First Grade
Luai isn't even the best 5/8 at the Panthers. Burton will prove to be the better player long term.
Big call, and a lot of our fans would have agreed with you based on his form when Cleary was out last year. But the brains trust thought otherwise and Luai certainly came through. My feeling is they place huge importance on keeping together the core of this side, which has been together for almost a decade already. Edwards-Naden-Luai-Cleary-FisherHarris-May-Leota. Robert Jennings was part of this group too. Would have been nice to make a utility out of Burton but we've already got one of those. So he was always going to look elsewhere, since halves are better paid anyway.

MugaB

Coach
Can't mope around about it, shit happens.

Look no further than the raiders and souths last year who lost Hodgson and Latrell to long term injuries respectively and still gave the finals a good crack.

Winning the comp is a long shot now, history says you need luck with injuries to go all the way but there is still a lot of talent in the team and if they are serious they should at least be providing a tough out for the top teams come finals time.
Luck?
Not luck, you need depth, and commitment, any team can have a stacked side, but if they are reliant on keary, cleary, peirce, reynolds etc then they have either shit depth or shit commitment or both

Tommy Smith

Referee
Luck?
Not luck, you need depth, and commitment, any team can have a stacked side, but if they are reliant on keary, cleary, peirce, reynolds etc then they have either shit depth or shit commitment or both
Absolute nonsense.

The likes of Keary, Teddy, Munster, Cleary, Latrell, Reynolds, and Wighton are integral to the Premiership hopes of the heavyweights.

No team will win the comp if they are missing the above superstars come finals time. The same likely applies for Koroisau, JFH, Kikau, Papy, Grant, George Williams, Hodgson, Papalii, Cody Walker...

Whichever of the heavyweight teams has all of the above stars available will likely play in the GF - just like last year.

MugaB

Coach
Absolute nonsense.

The likes of Keary, Teddy, Munster, Cleary, Latrell, Reynolds, and Wighton are integral to the Premiership hopes of the heavyweights.

No team will win the comp if they are missing the above superstars come finals time. The same likely applies for Koroisau, JFH, Kikau, Papy, Grant, George Williams, Hodgson, Papalii, Cody Walker...

Whichever of the heavyweight teams has all of the above stars available will likely play in the GF - just like last year.
Canberra and souths didn't make it to the GF, might have been coz they couldnt beat the teams with better depth

soc123_au

Staff member
Ease up! I'm still a hurtin' over losing Keary and seeing our Premiership hopes go up in smoke due to another ACL.

Anyway when the Roosters aren't playing I'm on the Panthers bandwagon now as you're the only mob that can beat Souths to the title imo.

That soft draw will serve you well :D

You will still make the 8. If Walker lives up to the hype you have the firepower to give it a crack still.

Meth

Staff member
Luai is a fantastic player to watch and he's on a hot streak. Comparing him to JT is any kind of meaningful way is over the top though. He has a long way to go to get near him.

I thought this was going to be about his competitiveness.

MugaB

Coach
Ease up! I'm still a hurtin' over losing Keary and seeing our Premiership hopes go up in smoke due to another ACL.

Anyway when the Roosters aren't playing I'm on the Panthers bandwagon now as you're the only mob that can beat Souths to the title imo.

That soft draw will serve you well :D
It was always going to be a soft draw, as we don't play anyone that finished above us from last season

Luai isn't even the best 5/8 at the Panthers. Burton will prove to be the better player long term.

Thurston wasnt the best 5/8 in his time at the dogs either, yes he was young but still..

I think Luai & Thurston are very different in style.

That said I generally hate it when a current player, in any sport, is called "the next (insert ex-player name)". All the greats of the game didn't start out in the game only to become a mirror image of a former great... Thurston, Lockyer, Lewis, Daley, Fittler, Johns...... never became another "Lewis, Sterling, Kenny, Mortimer" etc..

If a guy like Luai goes on to become a great 5/8, he won't be another Johnathan Thurston.. he may be compared to him in debate on who was better, but not referred to as another Thurston. And if he doesn't become a great, again, he won't be another Johnathan Thurston.

He's not in my team but I do like watching him play. He looks more like a true "footballer" in the halves rather than a set-play coordinator which has stifled the halves in recent times in my opinion.. I hope he does succeed, so it sets the bar for more "true footballers" to succeed in the position..

typicalfan

Coach
You could even argue Burton could end up the better player, Burton almost took his position Luai saved by his combination with Cleary.

Glen

Bench
I can see the comparison on one level. Acting like a twat every week under the guise of being “competitive”

Latest posts