What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

blue bags

First Grade
Anyone concerned by what ivan said bout luai in the post match?

It didnt sound great...

When asked about jerome he was very coy and said he got some news today and hes feeling ok... when asked if it was a serious illness ivan said i dont want to talk to much about it...

Bit strange...

If it was just the flu or a bug ivan would have said he is right for next week...

But the fact he was so coy on it is a concern i think...

Whether luai himself is unwell with something or maybe one of his kids or family members is unwrll i don't know..

But it certainly appeared as tho it was a private matter that ivan wasnt willing to divulge.

Hoping he is ok..

It was evident last night how important he is to our team...

We need him fit and firing.
Will he re. Sign On

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
We are a stable club now. Not like when Gus was doing whatever he wanted

Late in the days when Gus was here at Penrith. Gus was meddling in the coaching area. He just couldn't seem to help himself.

Gus did many great things here at Penrith. After he left some did remark there was a bit of egg shell walking in the last 18months. (which wasn't great)

Kilkenny

Coach
Late in the days when Gus was here at Penrith. Gus was meddling in the coaching area. He just couldn't seem to help himself.

Gus did many great things here at Penrith. After he left some did remark there was a bit of egg shell walking in the last 18months. (which wasn't great)
There is no doubt the end of Gould’s tenure was less than amicable.

At the same Fibroman and I in those days had a very good friend who was employed by the club in a number of roles, including sports trainer (runner) keeping players safe and delivering instructions.

Not once did he ever have a bad word to say about Gould and in fact he refuted a lot of the disinformation which was put out there towards the end of his reign. He only ever had good things to say about Gus, albeit in his role he wasn't privy to the inner sanctum.

The Gus Gould legacy has been tainted to a certain degree, which is unfortunate.

Kilkenny

Coach
Gus is more volatile than anyone. Some of his contracts and pushing players out the door was downright incompetent
The irony of your point of view, and I have a vivid recall of the RCG resigning to a long term deal. The fact was at the time the fans were 99% ecstatic and fully supportive. I came out and expressed concerns and was duly hammered by all and sundry. I’m sure I could dig out some of my posts from the time but probably no need. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time of the RCG five year deal the fans were 99% supportive. Things went pear shaped with RCG , where does the blame lay, Gould thought or believed he was locking up the best front rower in the game, the fact it went pear shaped May have been more to do with RCG’s attitude as opposed to Gus Gould in that instance.

Iamback

Coach
The irony of your point of view, and I have a vivid recall of the RCG resigning to a long term deal. The fact was at the time the fans were 99% ecstatic and fully supportive. I came out and expressed concerns and was duly hammered by all and sundry. I’m sure I could dig out some of my posts from the time but probably no need. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time of the RCG five year deal the fans were 99% supportive. Things went pear shaped with RCG , where does the blame lay, Gould thought or believed he was locking up the best front rower in the game, the fact it went pear shaped May have been more to do with RCG’s attitude as opposed to Gus Gould in that instance.

Look at the long term deals done since, they work on a player that is proven. We were doing them on potential

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
What I noticed with Gus, especially towards his end time at Penrith. Gus had a habit of falling deeply in love with a player, and at times overpaying for said player.

Then after the first blush of love and lust recedes, he falls out of love with said player.

So it's emotional roller coaster. That's not great when it comes to stability and forward movement of players within an administration.

Merrin, along with RCG, Blake were good examples of this.

Also his tendency to meddle into the coaching field. Happened here at Penrith in later years, happened at the dogs, and will continue to happen.

The Merrin effect appears to be happening with Fox.

(this is just my personal opinion)

I believe clubs work better when less emotion is involved.

Kilkenny

Coach
Look at the long term deals done since, they work on a player that is proven. We were doing them on potential
100% but the RCG he was proven. You can perhaps argue about WaqaBlake but his resigning was met with great excitement and universal approval.

Trent Merrin was everyone’s favourite player albeit until the relationship dramas kicked in and his form fell of a cliff.

Moylan off field issues and ill discipline, was that Gould’s fault. Player swap with Maloney cost neutral and worked for us pretty well until his serious neck injury was too difficult for him to perform at NRL level.

100% but the RCG he was proven. You can perhaps argue about WaqaBlake but his resigning was met with great excitement and universal approval.

Trent Merrin was everyone’s favourite player albeit until the relationship dramas kicked in and his form fell of a cliff.

Moylan off field issues and ill discipline, was that Gould’s fault. Player swap with Maloney cost neutral and worked for us pretty well until his serious neck injury was too difficult for him to perform at NRL level.
Signing Anthony Griffin to a 5 year contract was all Gould. Everyone in the rugby league world new Griffin could not coach long before Gould signed him.

Iamback

Coach

I doubt Moylan's attitude went down so much in 12 months that he had to be let go.

So there would of been issues previously. So in that case a shorter contract would of been better.

That is the sort of stuff. X player had a good season they got a long extension

On the flip side x player had a tough year. They were moved on. There was no in between, That was the frustrating thing

Merrin himself said he called Bennett in tears because he had to find a new club