What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

Kilkenny

Coach
What I noticed with Gus, especially towards his end time at Penrith. Gus had a habit of falling deeply in love with a player, and at times overpaying for said player.

Then after the first blush of love and lust recedes, he falls out of love with said player.

So it's emotional roller coaster. That's not great when it comes to stability and forward movement of players within an administration.

Merrin, along with RCG, Blake were good examples of this.

Also his tendency to meddle into the coaching field. Happened here at Penrith in later years, happened at the dogs, and will continue to happen.

The Merrin effect appears to be happening with Fox.

(this is just my personal opinion)

I believe clubs work better when less emotion is involved.
You have to seperate the two issues, they were entirely different.

Issue 1 was the Gus Gould - Anthony Griffin power play. Both lost.

Issue 2 and you mention RCG and Trent Merrin, there were others. The fact is there were reasons outside of his control why the RCG, Merrin, Moylan and Blake tenures here ended badly.

It’s all probably irrelevant now. Other than the fact he left a legacy that involves players still at the club who have been instrumental in our recent success.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
100% but the RCG he was proven. You can perhaps argue about WaqaBlake but his resigning was met with great excitement and universal approval.

Trent Merrin was everyone’s favourite player albeit until the relationship dramas kicked in and his form fell of a cliff.

Moylan off field issues and ill discipline, was that Gould’s fault. Player swap with Maloney cost neutral and worked for us pretty well until his serious neck injury was too difficult for him to perform at NRL level.
Allowing Moylan to be captain was Gus' fault. Crazy call that one.

Merrin was fantastic for us in his first year, did go south quickly after that though

Kilkenny

Coach
Signing Anthony Griffin to a 5 year contract was all Gould. Everyone in the rugby league world new Griffin could not coach long before Gould signed him.
You’ll always find a negative is that’s where your position lays.

Re-establishing our junior networks, establishing new partnerships with Central NSW, recruitment of quality youngsters from far and wide where do these accomplishments sit in this whole debate.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Allowing Moylan to be captain was Gus' fault. Crazy call that one.

Merrin was fantastic for us in his first year, did go south quickly after that though

Gould appointing Hook, and sacking Cleary was all Gould. A captains pick.

In my opinion looking back, this was the beginning of the end.

The Corey Payne CEO thingy was another strange one. One of his finest.

I believe that Gus Gould used up his nine lives by these above decisions and the board got sick of leaking money.

Kilkenny

Coach
No one wants to recognise or acknowledge the positives which is rather sad given he played such a big part of where we are today. Very sad.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
No one wants to recognise or acknowledge the positives which is rather sad given he played such a big part of where we are today. Very sad.

Kilkenny, I have always acknowledged the good that Gould did at Penrith. Without him in the early days, I don't know where the club would be.

In saying that Kilkenny, you must also acknowledge his failings. These failing bite especially in later years.

By the reports of many he's not an easy man to work with.

As Tommy Raudonikis's tee shirt used to say 'doesn't play nicely with others'

Chins get the wins

First Grade
No one does that he did terrific things up until he gave Hook a job. Once the board heard that come out of his mouth they should have looked at each other then sacked him

Gould has been quite hostile to the panthers since his departure.

In my view, the key to the era of the smug has been the footy genius of Ivan.

I’d have him as a leader over Gould in a nano-second.

Iamback

Coach
No one does that he did terrific things up until he gave Hook a job. Once the board heard that come out of his mouth they should have looked at each other then sacked him

That wasn't even the dumbest thing, Corey Payne CEO made even less sense.

Atleast Hook could argue he was decent at Broncos, There was a CEO with no management experience at all

Gould appointing Hook, and sacking Cleary was all Gould. A captains pick.

In my opinion looking back, this was the beginning of the end.

The Corey Payne CEO thingy was another strange one. One of his finest.

I believe that Gus Gould used up his nine lives by these above decisions and the board got sick of leaking money.
That's whom I was talking about earlier. Thanks. When Gus sacked Ivan that was a blessing in disguise

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You could tell 20mins into each game where we'd usually be 14 down where Moylan would go "f**k it" and play some footy

Yep Totally agree.

A touchstone for me that the board wasn't happy with Gould. When Brandy said 'they will just have to manage with Hook as the coach'. When Gould complained he was difficult to work with.

I understand it was Gould's pushing that got Hook that extended contract when no one was chasing Hook.

I got the feeling 8 of Gould's nine lives had been burned.

Fangs

Coach
Just been reading Andrew Webster’s book on Wayne Bennett, “The Wolf You Feed”. Interesting read especially his take on Anthony Griffin. When Bennett was leaving us he was linked to going back to the Broncos. The Broncos wanted to sign him for four years and then have Griffin takeover.

Bennett met with Griffin but wasn’t impressed. “I had the worst meeting with any guy I have met with in my life. I decided there and then I wasn’t going to come back.”

Further comments he made to the Broncos. “If you want Griffin as your future coach, you can have him. I’m not coming”.

“Things could have been different if I could come without making Griffin my assistant coach”.

Mmmmmm.

^^ from the Dragons forum.