What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

John moz

Juniors
Could be the next best forward in the nrl look out .A full season and i would expect him to be even better than andrew fafitta

getsmarty

Immortal
luciano_leilua_2-preseason2.jpg

NRL NEWS

Move from home shows Leilua's ambition
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 16 Jan 2018, 09:21 AM

Widdop excited about Dragons recruits

It's a sign of Luciano Leilua's determination to win a place in the St George Illawarra Dragons pack that the 21-year-old back-rower has been going home in between training sessions to hang out his washing.

Leilua, who is among the young forwards vying to fill the void created by Joel Thompson's departure to Manly Sea Eagles, has moved to Wollongong to be close to the club's training base and is learning about the responsibilities of living away from home as well as the requirements of playing NRL.

After playing five NRL games in 2016, Leilua spent last season in the NSW Cup but he is aiming to cement a regular first-grade position this year after recently extending his contract with the club until the end of the 2020 season.

"I moved to Wollongong so I could focus more on my footy," Leilua told NRL.com. "Staying in Sydney was a bit tough for me, with the morning start and the drive.

"I just wasn't doing recovery properly but now I am down here in Wollongong, I am doing everything so it has been good."

I love playing for the club, it is my junior club and this is where I want to be so I just jumped straight at the new deal.

Luciano Leilua
However, the move has taken some adjustment for the Hurstville United junior, who is living away from home for the first time.

"It was tough at first, mum wasn't cooking so it was like I've got to cook my own food and I had to do the washing," he said. "I've got used to it now but the first few weeks were a struggle.

"My partner works so I have to go home in my break time and hang up the washing or put the washing on."

Despite not playing an NRL match last season, Dragons coaching staff consider the Australian Schoolboys and NSW Under 18s representative to be one of the best prospects and most skilful players at the club.

Leilua was the Dragons' under-20s player of the year in 2016 and last year won Illawarra's NSW Cup player of the year award but has now set his sights higher after re-signing with St George Illawarra late last year.

"I love playing for the club, it is my junior club and this is where I want to be so I just jumped straight at the new deal," he said. "It is good to get some security in my life.

"2016 was a good year, it was a good experience and now I know what is in front of me. 2017 was a bit up and down but now I just want to play first grade.

"Once I get into first grade I want to play consistent footy so I want to make sure I am in good shape to give myself the best opportunity to do that this season."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/01/17/move-from-home-shows-leiluas-ambition/

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Mu

He's looking fit. I think he may have his serious cap on now. Wish him the best.

He is .
His girl and him live together near the gong .
I think he is learning more responsibly now.
He living with his girl away from the family.
I think he's growing up.
I am excited to see how he goes this year.
The other day after training.
Graham and lowrie and luc were putting in extras.
He seems to have his act and attitude together better now.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
I too think that Leilua has a lot of potential. I am hoping that he can develop his game and even become an origin player in the future. He sounds like he has a very good attitude too.

I really believe that either or both Leulia or Host will be better than Thompson by 2019.

Drag Queen

Bench
He is .
His girl and him live together now the gong .
I think he is learning more responsibly now.
He living with his girl away from the family.
I think he's growing up.
I am excited to see how he goes this year.
The other day after training.
Graham and lowrie and luc were putting in extras.
He seems to have his act and attitude together better now.
Were you a little bit drunk when you posted this? Not judging :D

Last edited:

ViceVersa

Juniors
Very 70's. No heat man:D

Jeeeeezz Drag Queen... You need to quit changing your comments Lol.

Your original reply was "Right..." which I took as "yeah whatever". If I saw your new comment I wouldn't have said all that in the 'Mann' thread.

So don't worry about it... All good.

Latest posts