What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt

Ondafly

Juniors
it was 43m out, off to one side - thats a kick most teams don't take in dry conditions these days ... with soggy ground he was never going to get enough on it to get it dead, probably did well kicking it as far as he did .... we needed to keep it down their end and force a repeat set - not hand it back to them .... dumb decision whoever made it

He had enough on it to kick it. Distance was not his problem, it was direction. I have seen Burt kick a few goals from that distance in the past. All good goal kickers can make that distance.

Anyway, like I said, if he kicks it the probability of us winning are pretty high. Dont you think?

We had countless opportunities to get repreat sets after the kick attempt and didnt. Had he kicked it then we could have looked at a field goal option after that to close the game out, but it was not to be.

In the context of the game, i think the decision to take the 2 was the correct one at that point in time. I was always worried that we were only on 4 points and not 6. I had a feeling the knights at some point would cross our line.

But Burt was off last night and we lose by 2.

Springs

First Grade
No, I'm saying what's the point in Burt running the ball from dummy half if he's going to get backslammed 5 metres every time he does, meaning we lose metres every time he makes a hitup instead of gaining metres? Do you get it?

When you play wet weather footy you need big forwards with strong leg drive to run the ball up. A Luke Burt run from dummy half is just a waste of a play in a set of six. It's not "in case" he gets forced back... he will get forced back every time as soon as he succumbs to a tackle, as the defence will easily slide him back 5 metres each time due to the slippery grass.

If Luke Burt hits it up like Grothe does then he would be forced back. So don't run like that. There are plenty of wingers that scoot out of dummy half then run low to the ground, hit the ground when they are tackled and do not get forced back, then get up and play the ball quick. If he is smart he will not get forced back. Reddy is nowhere near as strong as Grothe yet he still made a few contributions out of dummy-half.

strider

Post Whore
He had enough on it to kick it. Distance was not his problem, it was direction. I have seen Burt kick a few goals from that distance in the past. All good goal kickers can make that distance.

Anyway, like I said, if he kicks it the probability of us winning are pretty high. Dont you think?

We had countless opportunities to get repreat sets after the kick attempt and didnt. Had he kicked it then we could have looked at a field goal option after that to close the game out, but it was not to be.

In the context of the game, i think the decision to take the 2 was the correct one at that point in time. I was always worried that we were only on 4 points and not 6. I had a feeling the knights at some point would cross our line.

But Burt was off last night and we lose by 2.
controlling direction because difficult when you are putting so much effort into getting distance .... any penalty kick at goal you MUST be sure you will at least kick it dead if you don't get the goal - they was very unlikely with that kick .... as i said it was probably a good kick under the conditions, but a poor choice ... honestly, 6-0 is only marginally better than 4-0, it doesn't secure a win, it secures extra time .... i think it was a very bad option

Ondafly

Juniors
controlling direction because difficult when you are putting so much effort into getting distance .... any penalty kick at goal you MUST be sure you will at least kick it dead if you don't get the goal - they was very unlikely with that kick .... as i said it was probably a good kick under the conditions, but a poor choice ... honestly, 6-0 is only marginally better than 4-0, it doesn't secure a win, it secures extra time .... i think it was a very bad option

I know one thing about rugby league, you can not be sure of anything. Burt is a good kicker and i for one think it was an achievable kick for him, even in those conditions. If the kick goes over it could very well have broken the knights, but we will never know. I bet the knights mind set was much more optimistic in getting a result chasing 4 points as opposed to 6.

What I do know is I would have much preferred it went to extra time (worst case result in hindsight) after controlling the match for long periods only to get pipped at post. Points were hard to come by so I was happy for us to attempt to take whatever they thought the could get.

Had we went on to lose in extra time I don't think anyone would be saying taking the 2 was a silly decision. But it didnt come off. That's footy.

Suitman

Post Whore
I know one thing about rugby league, you can not be sure of anything. Burt is a good kicker and i for one think it was an achievable kick for him, even in those conditions. If the kick goes over it could very well have broken the knights, but we will never know. I bet the knights mind set was much more optimistic in getting a result chasing 4 points as opposed to 6.

What I do know is I would have much preferred it went to extra time (worst case result in hindsight) after controlling the match for long periods only to get pipped at post. Points were hard to come by so I was happy for us to attempt to take whatever they thought the could get.

Had we went on to lose in extra time I don't think anyone would be saying taking the 2 was a silly decision. But it didnt come off. That's footy.

I agree.

Who knows? We could have had a shot at field goal after that and actually won the game, thus scoring as many points as Portugal last night.

Suity

funny how people dump on luke burt when he has an off night but others who do nothing week in week out are ignored

Last edited:

hybrideel

Bench
to be fair i think only the OP has dumped on Burt, all others have learned their lesson from bagging him in previous seasons and have written it off as a bad game, only really criticising his choice to take the shot at goal

How did he play a bad game? Because he missed the goal from 40-out?

Dropped balls? Missed tackles? No more than anyone else.

He actually played an important part in our only try as a decoy which is more than you can say for most of the team.

Stupid thread. Anyone saying "it was just one bad game" is an idiot.

Forty20

First Grade
How did he play a bad game? Because he missed the goal from 40-out?

Dropped balls? Missed tackles? No more than anyone else.

He actually played an important part in our only try as a decoy which is more than you can say for most of the team.

Stupid thread. Anyone saying "it was just one bad game" is an idiot.

I think it speaks volumes of just how much we take Burty's finishing and goal kicking for granted.

My biggest complaint from his performance was that he over ran the money ball from Hayne (what is now their pet play, Hayne sweeping left and cutting out to Burt) of which he usually nails the timing of his run. That there would have won us the game.

However singling Burt out of Monday's mire isn't fair, most of the 17 were poor.

Durantula35

Juniors
8 runs and 7 tackles. combined over the last 3 games. But don't worry guys , he'll come good when we start winning.

Ok, feel free to over analyse the sh!t out of this and state the usual 'he's not on his own' , ' you can't blame him for the loss'.. yeah yeah we all know. Is he injured? Because he is contributing absolutely nothing. Ben Smith has done double this work load in 15 mins last week. Tahu's done more in 70mins v Newc.

Hey Luke, how bout you start playing with some heart?

BissyB

Juniors
8 runs and 7 tackles. combined over the last 3 games. But don't worry guys , he'll come good when we start winning.

Ok, feel free to over analyse the sh!t out of this and state the usual 'he's not on his own' , ' you can't blame him for the loss'.. yeah yeah we all know. Is he injured? Because he is contributing absolutely nothing. Ben Smith has done double this work load in 15 mins last week. Tahu's done more in 70mins v Newc.

Hey Luke, how bout you start playing with some heart?

I wont say anything except you cant compare a wingers workload with a centre or a 2nd rower