What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt

Bazal

Post Whore
He shouldn't have to say anything like that publicly.

If he's willing to claim, publicly, that he's an ex first grader to give some sort of credence to his argument...then he should be willing to back that claim up, publicly. Otherwise keep quiet and don't make foolish claims that you refuse to back up.

Durantula35

Juniors
A liar and...how did you put it? Keyboard hero? Love blokes who make up claims to make their opinion seem more valid when it's clearly unsupported...

Whatever you think mate. Thanks for helping me get my post count up lol. I'm happy if no one knows I played and shouldn't have commented that I did in relation to your 'no idea about rugby league comment'. End of the day I was a rubbish player, and now I'm a passionate Eels fan who gets out to the games every week like you guys . I', entitled to an opinion, and I'd like to think I know a thing or 2 about the game.

Durantula35

Juniors
If he's willing to claim, publicly, that he's an ex first grader to give some sort of credence to his argument...then he should be willing to back that claim up, publicly. Otherwise keep quiet and don't make foolish claims that you refuse to back up.

your missing the point. It wasn't to support my argument it was in response to yours. I think your a bit of a big mouth hiding behind a computer screen mate, but all good. Don't make it personal.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Burt has always been great for us when we are winning, and struggles when we aren't. He's a Winger not sure what you expect him to do????

Avenger

Immortal
Apologies mate it was Strider.
I'm a long time reader but new to the forums , my heads a bit everywhere.

Avenger I've tried sending you a reply, hope it worked.

cheers.

Cheers.

Bazal be cool. His input will be good here.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm not saying it won't, I've just heard too much bullsh*t from previous keyboard heroes on here with a similar theme....

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gee the knives are out know lets blame our winger for the loss, gee what is burt surpose to do. Greatv player

strider

Post Whore
yeah - i just struggle to see how we single out a winger for his lack of "runs" and "tackles" when we are playing like busted arses

the ball isn't even getting to him - hard to register a "run" on the stats sheet when you don't have the ball in your hands

I'm not saying he's playing well - no one is!!!!! ..... and no - he's never taken a photo with my kid or smiled at me - lol

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
I said it at the start of the thread and will say it again, I reckon he's carrying an injury.

The OP is right, Burt hasn't been putting in as much as he could, he seems to be a passenger at the moment.
And no that isn't blaming him for the losses and it's clear that the whole team is struggling, but Burt still isn't playing like he should be.

I'm sure when we've struggled before that Burt would've made more runs than he is now, the team performance isn't directly related to his numbers. He might not be getting as much ball when we are attacking, but because we are getting beat he would have more opportunities to run out of dummy half in our own 10-20m zone. This is what he isn't doing, the OP is right to pick it out because Burt should be doing his fair share of it. Wet or dry weather too.

Durantula35

Juniors
yeah - i just struggle to see how we single out a winger for his lack of "runs" and "tackles" when we are playing like busted arses

the ball isn't even getting to him - hard to register a "run" on the stats sheet when you don't have the ball in your hands

I'm not saying he's playing well - no one is!!!!! ..... and no - he's never taken a photo with my kid or smiled at me - lol

That's my point! I'm not blaming him for losses either. Its not his fault at all.
But a seasoned first grader needs to go looking for work, needs to lead by example. We play Souths he chases kicks like his life depended on it, when was the last time you saw him chase a kick like that? Hindy is Hindy, he gets it done week after week. Caylo is playing every game like it's his last. The 3rd seasoned veteran amigo is not even raising a sweat.

I'm sorry, 8 carries in 3 weeks of tough grinds is not having a dig. There may be other reasons for it that no one knows, but we're basically playing with 12 men. Hopefully he realises this and sees we need his effort levels on kick chases, scheming runs etc... we need all 13 playing with max effort. You wouldn't think that needs to be said to an 11 year veteran but clearly it does.

Bigfella

Coach
It just underscores how much this team has relied on Grothe and Hayne.

We get through our first 3 tackles on kick returns without those two and we have made 1 or 2 metres.

Grothe has been our most maligned players when he was one of our most important. He kept us in so many contests.

This thread is slightly unfair in that wright inu and reddy have all been at least as ineffective in breaking the line or getting involved with workrate.

That just increases pressure on the halves.

Our outside backs should be a strength. Apart from Hayne, and with grothe injured, they have been a massive weakness.

Gronk

Staff member
TBH I agree that Luke's contributions have been poor. I get that the ball was being played mostly on the right, but you can go looking for the ball. At the very least he could be making half a dozen zippy dummy half runs a match. He's done it before and been very effective.

But hey, what would I know. I gave the game away after Buckley Shield.

strider

Post Whore
That's my point! I'm not blaming him for losses either. Its not his fault at all.
But a seasoned first grader needs to go looking for work, needs to lead by example. We play Souths he chases kicks like his life depended on it, when was the last time you saw him chase a kick like that? Hindy is Hindy, he gets it done week after week. Caylo is playing every game like it's his last. The 3rd seasoned veteran amigo is not even raising a sweat.

I'm sorry, 8 carries in 3 weeks of tough grinds is not having a dig. There may be other reasons for it that no one knows, but we're basically playing with 12 men. Hopefully he realises this and sees we need his effort levels on kick chases, scheming runs etc... we need all 13 playing with max effort. You wouldn't think that needs to be said to an 11 year veteran but clearly it does.

gee, about 75% of your posts are in this thread .... what did burt run over your dog or something? lol

so we're calling it "8 carries in 3 weeks" .... I don't want to look like I think Burt has been going well, HE HASN'T!!! he's been crap/poor like most of hte team of late ... but I don't know exactly where or how you are interpretting stats .... but i had a quick glance at our stats from our last few games on NRL.com

Burt:
warriors - 6 runs, 4 dummy half runs, 21 metres
broncos - 3 runs, 0 dummy half runs, 19 metres
knights - 5 runs, 2 dummy half, 36 metres

Reddy:
warriors - 6 runs, 1 dummy half run, 46 metres
broncos - 15 runs, 4 dummy half runs, 107 metres
knights - 6 runs, 0 dummy half runs, 31 metres

so for starters Burt is over 8 carries in 3 games lol .... Burt's meterage is sh*t - but it always is unless he's involved in a long break (go and look at his good games, his metres are rarely big - the souths gae is probably considered one of his better games this year - statistically he made 2 runs for 17 metres) - he's not an eric grothe strength player, but I agree he should be doing a sh*tload better

I'm not even bothering to consider tackles, cos everyone knows all wingers are lucky to make more than a handful of tackles each game ... lol

Comparing to Reddy - had a great broncos game but the other 2 his stats are probably worse than Burt's .... maybe he needs a thread lol

The other thing to take into account in recent games is we have had Inu and Wright on the other side of the field .... and I'm willing to bet oppositions are targetting these 2 with their kicking, cos both are SERIOUSLY prone to handling errors .... so that side of the field is likely to get the majority of kick returns, which is the majority of a winger's "carries"

I agree with gronk - burt should probably be going looking for a bunch of dummy half runs, but he's not .... he's certainly not playing well - but i struggle to see why he's being singled out when our halves are mostly woeful

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
on another note, what do forummers think of Wright? imo he's an overrated passenger and we shouldn't be investing as much time into him as we already have.

Suitman

Post Whore
on another note, what do forummers think of Wright? imo he's an overrated passenger and we shouldn't be investing as much time into him as we already have.

Couldn't agree more, although he is one of those players that every club has to have.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
Agree with Suity here. I don't think anyone sees Wright as a permanent first grader. But he's handy as a stop gap solution when we have a few players out to injury, rep selection or suspension as we do now.