What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Keary

doyen

Bench
Its an interesting debate. The thing is though the 2012 and 2013 rabbitohs squads did not have alot of flare players in them. Michael Maguire has utilised the squad's strengths. Full credit to him though - sure it may be one dimensional but its easier said than done stopping it! Its only this season with the likes of Walker, Johnston, Keary etc that we have really started to get some flare players in our team. Greg Inglis is not really a flare player in terms of creativity - his game is about power, speed, strength and athleticism. Nathan Merritt has electric pace and can be an excellent support player but I wouldn't say he'd frighten opposition teams - besides he can only do those things at fullback, which I believe is his best position otherwise he is just a good finisher. The true flare players are Dylan Walker and Luke Keary, your 100% correct! I don't think Michael Maguire is trying to suppress them - look at the way Dylan Walker plays - he at times will drift in field and can pop up anywhere! Also you've got to remember that Maguire was going to start with Luke Keary this season but he was injured in the Auckland 9's and missed the first half of the season. Additionally, we'll have four halves in the squad with Cody Walker joining us. Each of them offers something different! I think Maguire has stockpiled halves in an attempt to deviate away from the power game! If I was a betting man, I would say there is a very very strong chance we'll see Adam Reynolds spend some time at hooker next season; his defense is good enough and if he kicks out of dummy half - that could pose a big problem for other teams! Stopping accurate kicks out of dummy half is an absolute pain the ass! Also don't forget we've got Chris McQueen who is a terrific attacking forward; we were right to keep him because his skill set is so unique. How many backrowers have his speed and can get under the highball like him? So I think Souths are slowly adding another dimension to there game and I think the future looks bright!

My biggest fear is that Maguire will reinstate JS straight back to 5/8.
I know Sths have achieved well with their fairly one dimensional play but I think this has biggish limitations against the better quality sides that are dogged in defence.JS at 5/8,IMO,is holding Sths back from going to the next level ie.the potential to win a p/ship.
This is where Keary comes in.But he must,MUST be allowed to create & take risks if required.
It's great to see the likes of Walker,Johnston,Keary & Reynolds in this team---players who have come through the lower grades/juniors & showing some class.
There were a couple of exciting episodes against the Raiders &, as I said earlier,a different intelligent outlook apparent.
I just hope that it is highly encouraged.
Maguire has brought a good degree of success to us but he must continue to evolve his style to get the most out of the classy players coming through!!

souths_pride

Juniors
My biggest fear is that Maguire will reinstate JS straight back to 5/8.
I know Sths have achieved well with their fairly one dimensional play but I think this has biggish limitations against the better quality sides that are dogged in defence.JS at 5/8,IMO,is holding Sths back from going to the next level ie.the potential to win a p/ship.
This is where Keary comes in.But he must,MUST be allowed to create & take risks if required.
It's great to see the likes of Walker,Johnston,Keary & Reynolds in this team---players who have come through the lower grades/juniors & showing some class.
There were a couple of exciting episodes against the Raiders &, as I said earlier,a different intelligent outlook apparent.
I just hope that it is highly encouraged.
Maguire has brought a good degree of success to us but he must continue to evolve his style to get the most out of the classy players coming through!!

John Sutton is not a bad player and he does a decent job! I wouldn't call him a match winner but his experience and guile in attack are definitely an asset to the club! I see where your coming from but remember, the problem for Souths this season hasn't been putting points on the board; its been handling errors! You can't score tries if you don't have the footy! So I think its a bit premature to write Sutton off as a 5/8 but I definitely think Keary is a match winner and I'm looking forward to seeing him against the Knights!

doyen

Bench
John Sutton is not a bad player and he does a decent job! I wouldn't call him a match winner but his experience and guile in attack are definitely an asset to the club! I see where your coming from but remember, the problem for Souths this season hasn't been putting points on the board; its been handling errors! You can't score tries if you don't have the footy! So I think its a bit premature to write Sutton off as a 5/8 but I definitely think Keary is a match winner and I'm looking forward to seeing him against the Knights!

I think JS is a great player--probably in our top 3 most valuable[but as a forward]--I just think as a team we won't go to glory with him in a key posse like 5/8.He's far too slow for that posse.
If one is happy to be a bridesmaid than OK.Keep JS serving up the same old dish he's been serving for 7 or 8 yrs.
I just can't see it working against the best.
Sths have put plenty of points up in the home & away games,agreed---it's September that's the problem.Sept--the time when JS goes missing!!

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors
I think JS is a great player--probably in our top 3 most valuable[but as a forward]--I just think as a team we won't go to glory with him in a key posse like 5/8.He's far too slow for that posse.
If one is happy to be a bridesmaid than OK.Keep JS serving up the same old dish he's been serving for 7 or 8 yrs.
I just can't see it working against the best.
Sths have put plenty of points up in the home & away games,agreed---it's September that's the problem.Sept--the time when JS goes missing!!
I do agree he is better in the back row! Hopefully he gets moved there when he comes back!

hurricane57

Juniors
I do agree he is better in the back row! Hopefully he gets moved there when he comes back!

I played golf with a Souths supporter today and he was adamant that Keary had defensive weaknesses.

I admit I haven't seen a whole lot of Keary's playing career, can anybody clear this up for me.

This Souths supporter said that guy Kent and the other commentator had discussed this at length last week - wish I could remember the commentators name - used to play for the Bronco's I think.

Ben Ikon, the other guy was Ben Ikon. So it was Paul Kent and Ben Ikon discussing Keary.

Keary seems okay at defence - saw him miss a couple against Canberra when he got palmed off by bigger guys, but not enough to be alarmed about.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
I played golf with a Souths supporter today and he was adamant that Keary had defensive weaknesses.

I admit I haven't seen a whole lot of Keary's playing career, can anybody clear this up for me.

This Souths supporter said that guy Kent and the other commentator had discussed this at length last week - wish I could remember the commentators name - used to play for the Bronco's I think.

Ben Ikon, the other guy was Ben Ikon. So it was Paul Kent and Ben Ikon discussing Keary.

Keary seems okay at defence - saw him miss a couple against Canberra when he got palmed off by bigger guys, but not enough to be alarmed about.

hurri, there is a question mark over Keary's defence this year I think, but I only remember him as solid last season when he came on.

hurricane57

Juniors
hurri, there is a question mark over Keary's defence this year I think, but I only remember him as solid last season when he came on.

Yair, that's what I thought, but this guy wouldn't have it, he reckoned Ben Ikon knew everything.

I can only go on the games I've seen Keary play, and like you said Southy old chap, he has performed ok.

southsport

First Grade
Yair, that's what I thought, but this guy wouldn't have it, he reckoned Ben Ikon knew everything.

I can only go on the games I've seen Keary play, and like you said Southy old chap, he has performed ok.

We'll find out how Keary defends over the next few weeks.

souths_pride

Juniors
I think any defensive question marks over Keary's defense is more down to his weedy frame than anything. From what I've seen though he's been solid! Sure he's not a big man but after a few more seasons in the gym he'll hopefully put on a bit of size.

doyen

Bench
I think any defensive question marks over Keary's defense is more down to his weedy frame than anything. From what I've seen though he's been solid! Sure he's not a big man but after a few more seasons in the gym he'll hopefully put on a bit of size.[/QU

Keary is 82 kgs.
For his size he is a pretty solid defender.
He will get brushed aside by big blokes if he goes high.
The little guys need to go low.
Anyway,it's his speed & guile that we'll require at final's time.
Manly,the Storm & the Roosters will be the toughest,IMO!!
Manly the team to beat.

I just tried to post some video of Keary in action & I couldn't present it----is it possible to do??

Last edited:

hurricane57

Juniors
I think any defensive question marks over Keary's defense is more down to his weedy frame than anything. From what I've seen though he's been solid! Sure he's not a big man but after a few more seasons in the gym he'll hopefully put on a bit of size.[/QU

Keary is 82 kgs.
Manly the team to beat.

I just tried to post some video of Keary in action & I couldn't present it----is it possible to do??

Glad you made it Doyen.

Some video of Keary in action would be great, I don't know how to help with that, I'm computer illegitimate.:lol:

souths_pride

Juniors

Keary is 82 kgs.
Manly the team to beat.

I agree with you! I can't recall too many people running over the top of him!

The Chello

Juniors
The Knights ran all their early play directly at Keary and he didn't shirk his duties. Keary is a tough bugger, didn't see him miss too many yesterday though he was a little caught out at marker in the Knights 2nd try. Like any half in this competition, he is going to be bumped off by the bigger guys but from what I've seen of him, defence is not a big issue. Like Reynolds, he can tackle this bloke.

Galeforce

Bench
He is and will be a target/iability in defence especially on the goal line.Natural given his size .

Because of the traffic that will be aimed at Keary , he will need to bulk up during the offseason . Not just to help him handle opponent traffic , but more importantly to be able to handle a long season , else he will be on injury list for more games than he plays.

hurricane57

Juniors
The Knights ran all their early play directly at Keary and he didn't shirk his duties. Keary is a tough bugger, didn't see him miss too many yesterday though he was a little caught out at marker in the Knights 2nd try. Like any half in this competition, he is going to be bumped off by the bigger guys but from what I've seen of him, defence is not a big issue. Like Reynolds, he can tackle this bloke.

Yep, Keary had a very strong game in both attack and defence.
I can see him only getting better and better as his confidence grows.

That makes for an awesome South Sydney backline - even Lotte had a blinder. He's scored in the last two games hasn't he?

Ttime

Juniors
Yep, Keary had a very strong game in both attack and defence.
I can see him only getting better and better as his confidence grows.

That makes for an awesome South Sydney backline - even Lotte had a blinder. He's scored in the last two games hasn't he?

Yeah I think Tuqiri has been playing great!

Can you imagine though if we had Johnston and James Roberts on the wings this year? nobody would be able to put a hand on them. Fastest blokes in the NRL for sure... Mamo a close third.

hurricane57

Juniors
Yeah I think Tuqiri has been playing great!

Can you imagine though if we had Johnston and James Roberts on the wings this year? nobody would be able to put a hand on them. Fastest blokes in the NRL for sure... Mamo a close third.

Saw James Roberts playing for, was it the Titans, but I couldn't watch the game - shame he couldn't behave - but the speed of the guys we got now is just so exciting. (even Lotte hahaha)

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah Lote played really well yesterday he was making tough metres from dummy half I think he had 11 hit ups for about 105m he was pretty good under the high ball and he was very keen in defence. Even in a couple of games before yesterday around origin time he was solid. Let's hope he can keep it up!

At the moment I think Lote is more safe than Goodwin under the high ball. Goodwin has struggled under the high ball a lot this year.

It is also good for Keary and Reynolds knowing that they will play the full 80 they both complemented each other well and played their natural games.

souths1908

Juniors
Imagine if we still had Mansour on the wing, still gutted that he didn't get a crack at first grade for the bunnies (glad he is plying well at the panthers though).

southsport

First Grade
Saw James Roberts playing for, was it the Titans, but I couldn't watch the game - shame he couldn't behave - but the speed of the guys we got now is just so exciting. (even Lotte hahaha)

Roberts and Johnston are both La Perouse juniors I believe.

Latest posts