What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Kelly - Halfback

Chipmunk

Coach
I wouldn't worry about Kelly too much Sandow will be the half next year. There is no way he will walk away from the contract or would a club take Sandow unless Parra paid a large chunk which would be ridiculous.

Here is a prediction for you, they're we will be a requirement from the Club for Sandow not to gamble, Sandow is an addict and wont be able to help himself and his massive contract will be terminated. Im predicting it will happen by 31 October.

I think they Club is probably already preparing to moving on, hence the Wallace rumuours.

Eels Dude

Coach
Kelly is looking more and more out of his depth. The forwards actually got a pretty good roll on at times last week, but even when there was no pressure on Kelly his kicking game was still shithouse. His creativity leaves a lot to be desired too. I know everyone's had a poor year, but I'd still expect our halfback to still occasionally put a player through a hole, get a repeat set, set up a try with a kick, make a break himself. Kelly does none of these things and he's had the majority of the season to prove himself. He's simply not up to NRL standard.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I know everyone's had a poor year, but I'd still expect our halfback to still occasionally put a player through a hole, get a repeat set, set up a try with a kick, make a break himself. Kelly does none of these things and he's had the majority of the season to prove himself. He's simply not up to NRL standard.

Got a LBA last night. Was that his first ever for us?

Craig Johnston

First Grade
the one strength of his game i believe is support. he doesn't get to do that at 7 with the likes of hayne and paulo playing 6.

he does have a role imo but not as a fulltime 7 or 9

magpie4ever

First Grade
You guys are unbelievable. If you know anything about rugby league, you would be looking at other issues, other than your little men playing in a team that continually gets dominanted.

Whether they are up to regular 1st grade, they are not your current problem.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
For once I (sort of) agree with you. While I don't think either are superstars, I'm constantly amused by people who (quite reasonably) argue that you can't judge the coach when he has an allround sub-standard team, but are happy to judge the halfback. The great RS seems to think Kelly is one worth keeping in the mix. I'm less impressed with Mullaney, but he tries.

I haven't seen last night's game yet.....so maybe Kelly was particularly terrible or something. I would be perfectly happy if Wallace did end up here (I know that's a long shot), but I don't see any obvious other options. Sandow may / may not get over his personal troubles, but even if he does he doesn't strike me as the most consistent halfback going around....and that is pretty important.

Well Bazza, I'm (sort of) honoured.:D

Eels Dude

Coach
You guys are unbelievable. If you know anything about rugby league, you would be looking at other issues, other than your little men playing in a team that continually gets dominanted.

Whether they are up to regular 1st grade, they are not your current problem.

So we're not allowed to discuss our players' abilities if they're not forwards?

magpie4ever

First Grade
So we're not allowed to discuss our players' abilities if they're not forwards?

That's right, well done for listening to me. Gold Star.:D

Look at Luke's stats and compare with the Bronco's half - you will find they're not too bad.

I don't see a Fui Fui is crap thread etc.

Kornstar

Coach
To be honest, defence and poor execution lost us the game. I thought we made decent enough metres and put ourselves in scoring opportunities, just the last pass or lack of quality/determination did it in!

Pathetic efforts on the goal line like the McGuire try put the game out of reach! We stop ridiculously soft tries like that and we are in most games.....

I thought Kelly was off last night but with Hayne on the field he doesn't need to shine, he just needs to distribute. Toutai's inexperience had him standing deep when he should have been flat for that Hayne pass, he is there, we score and we are right in that match!

While i'm sick of losing and am looking forward to the year being over, the additions we have next year and the players we are losing should get us off the bottom, i'm not saying i think we'll make the 8 but i think we will atleast be competing for the 8 until the later rounds.......

magpie4ever

First Grade
To be honest, defence and poor execution lost us the game. I thought we made decent enough metres and put ourselves in scoring opportunities, just the last pass or lack of quality/determination did it in!

Pathetic efforts on the goal line like the McGuire try put the game out of reach! We stop ridiculously soft tries like that and we are in most games.....

I thought Kelly was off last night but with Hayne on the field he doesn't need to shine, he just needs to distribute. Toutai's inexperience had him standing deep when he should have been flat for that Hayne pass, he is there, we score and we are right in that match!

While i'm sick of losing and am looking forward to the year being over, the additions we have next year and the players we are losing should get us off the bottom, i'm not saying i think we'll make the 8 but i think we will atleast be competing for the 8 until the later rounds.......

While I agree Vai should have been flat; Hayne should know you pass to the man, not where you want them to be. Definitely, Hayne's error.

there was a lot of impatience at times on the broncos line
they should have gone for the grubber to get a repeat set instead they go for the miracle ball and end up losing it

Kornstar

Coach
While I agree Vai should have been flat; Hayne should know you pass to the man, not where you want them to be. Definitely, Hayne's error.

I disagree, i see plenty of balls that are just thrown and expected to be caught, good players put themselves there to catch those balls!

I disagree, i see plenty of balls that are just thrown and expected to be caught, good players put themselves there to catch those balls!

The majority of those are not 15m cutout passes, however. If Vai was much flatter, he'd have been in front of the bloke inside him. No blame either way...was worth a shot, but equally pretty tough to blame the winger for that one.

Latest posts