What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Kelly - Halfback

Noise

Coach
Luke Kelly says his favoured position is halfback and there are a few people that seem to rate him. Here are his (attacking) stats since he has played in the 7 jersey for us this year (i couldn't find repeat set stats):

Round 18
Runs - 5
Line break - 0
LBA - 0
Try assists - 0
40/20s - 0
Tries - 1

Round 19
Runs - 2
Line breaks - 0
LBA - 0
Try assists - 0
40/20s - 0
Tries - 0

Round 19
Runs - 2
Line breaks - 0
LBA - 0
Try assists - 0
40/20s - 0
Tries - 0

Round 20
Runs - 2
Line breaks - 0
LBA - 0
Try assists - 0
40/20s - 0
Tries - 0

Round 22
Runs - 2
LBA - 0
Try assists - 0
40/20s - 0
Tries - 0

Round 23
Runs - 4
Line breaks - 1
LBA - 0
Try assists - 0
40/20s - 0
Tries - 0

We have a halfback that runs the ball on average 3 times a game, can't put anyone in a hole and can't put anyone over for a try. God help us if Sandow doesnt get better

Delboy

First Grade
Can't believe there were people that thought Kelly was the answer, there was a reason he couldn't get a start when they were all playing SOO at the Storm, same reason Mullaney couldn't get a start at the Tigpies

They are both very, vey ordinary.....nah, useless

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah those stats dont lie. He certainly tries hard, but isnt the answer.

Kicking game tonight was terrible.

yy_cheng

Coach
He cant even pass left to right properly. He passed right a few times with a inside out pass

Angry_eel

First Grade
Sandow is our only answer except he only plays well when the team plays well(confidence player and all that jazz).

magpie4ever

First Grade
Yeah those stats dont lie. He certainly tries hard, but isnt the answer.

Kicking game tonight was terrible.

Statistics do lie and with regards to league they are damn lies.

Luke and Jake played good night and here are their supporters putting shit on them again.

Behind a pack that could hold it's own you would see a remarkable difference.

Against the tigers last week when the pack held somewhat of its own, I thought they had great games, especially Jake.

A week later and they're in the shit again. Blah:x

You guys should be ashamed.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Kelly was crap last week and crap again this week. He's not a first grader back up player at best.

Noise

Coach

Luke and Jake played good night and here are their supporters putting shit on them again.

Against the tigers last week when the pack held somewhat of its own, I thought they had great games, especially Jake.

Mullaney has played well the last two weeks. Kelly has been horrible. What did you see Kelly do in the last couple of weeks that made him have a good game?

yy_cheng

Coach
I saw him throw a falcon, run into peni, kicked out on the full, p ut up kicks which were inaccurate,0 Terry assist s

For once I (sort of) agree with you. While I don't think either are superstars, I'm constantly amused by people who (quite reasonably) argue that you can't judge the coach when he has an allround sub-standard team, but are happy to judge the halfback. The great RS seems to think Kelly is one worth keeping in the mix. I'm less impressed with Mullaney, but he tries.

I haven't seen last night's game yet.....so maybe Kelly was particularly terrible or something. I would be perfectly happy if Wallace did end up here (I know that's a long shot), but I don't see any obvious other options. Sandow may / may not get over his personal troubles, but even if he does he doesn't strike me as the most consistent halfback going around....and that is pretty important.

oldmancraigy

Coach
For once I (sort of) agree with you. While I don't think either are superstars, I'm constantly amused by people who (quite reasonably) argue that you can't judge the coach when he has an allround sub-standard team, but are happy to judge the halfback. The great RS seems to think Kelly is one worth keeping in the mix. I'm less impressed with Mullaney, but he tries.

I haven't seen last night's game yet.....so maybe Kelly was particularly terrible or something. I would be perfectly happy if Wallace did end up here (I know that's a long shot), but I don't see any obvious other options. Sandow may / may not get over his personal troubles, but even if he does he doesn't strike me as the most consistent halfback going around....and that is pretty important.

Let's just pause a moment and remember the halfbacks that Ricky has acquired over the years. The list isn't a memorable one. I'd suggest being endorsed by Ricky doesn't carry much salt for a young halfback.

I also would be chuffed is this Wallace rumour comes to fruition!

I also think that if we're judging the cattle to be 'not up to scratch' then it's fair to assess the halfback isn't it?
I mean, Hayne is playing on a dud side, but is able to shine like a spotlight (even if playing with duds forces him to overplay and make mistakes).
Someone like Mannah is able to front up every week and look reliable.
A young bloke like Tanginoa showed that he has "something"
Even a guy who looks like being a career backup player in Terepo is able to show that he has the ability to at least be a benchie for any NRL club.

I'm thinking that all Kelly (and Mullaney) have shown so far is that they are worthy candidates of the crap label that is being bandied around about much of our cattle. They aren't NRL standard, and aren't worth spending first grade salary cap on.
Now, perhaps that's a tad unfair on Kelly because he's still got very few NRL games under his belt, he has the 'desire' to be out there, and perhaps he'll end up being good enough to be considered a backup?
Last nights game wasn't a good one for the young bloke.

Let's just pause a moment and remember the halfbacks that Ricky has acquired over the years. The list isn't a memorable one. I'd suggest being endorsed by Ricky doesn't carry much salt for a young halfback.

I also would be chuffed is this Wallace rumour comes to fruition!

I also think that if we're judging the cattle to be 'not up to scratch' then it's fair to assess the halfback isn't it?
I mean, Hayne is playing on a dud side, but is able to shine like a spotlight (even if playing with duds forces him to overplay and make mistakes).
Someone like Mannah is able to front up every week and look reliable.
A young bloke like Tanginoa showed that he has "something"
Even a guy who looks like being a career backup player in Terepo is able to show that he has the ability to at least be a benchie for any NRL club.

Sure, but Kelly at 7 hasn't had the good fortune to have Tanginoa running outside him. People have complained long and hard about the quality of our centres / backrowers. Now, of course, one could argue that our centres/2nd rowers look crap because our halves are crap.....

Mannah's job is a largely about pure effort (as is the job of other tight forwards), and notwithstanding the efforts of the mighty Keating, he is largely in control of his own performance.

I'm not saying people can't judge him...but typically people greatly simplify issues.

strider

Post Whore
you could make excuses for every player in out f**kin team ... the centres and edge forwards aren't good cos the halves are shit, the halves are shit cos the edge forwards are shit, the middle forwards are shit cos keating doesn't pass it well, keating is shit cos we don't get quick play the balls, the fullback is shit cos he's scared to run the ball (oh hang on)

seriously - kelly is very average, as are alot of the team atm

Pazza

First Grade
kelly's kicking game was horrible last night, the one good kick he did do which should have trapped Hoffman in goal was followed by very poor kick chase.

Ratchy

Juniors
I wouldn't worry about Kelly too much Sandow will be the half next year. There is no way he will walk away from the contract or would a club take Sandow unless Parra paid a large chunk which would be ridiculous.