What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Lewis signs with Souths

Grail

Juniors
Well, I don't watch a lot of Panthers games, but when I have seen him play 6 he's done ok. Surely he can't be any worse than the crop of halves that the Bunnies have.

The Colonel

Immortal
Had one and a half good years and some reasonable games since in his career. Has missed a good deal of the past few through different injuries.

Why anyone would sign him on a four year deal seems ridiculous though. At best a two year deal.

It is another Joe Galuvao deal waiting to happen...... wonder if Luke has any thoughts about joining the priesthood?

yobbo84

Coach
The Colonel said:
Had one and a half good years and some reasonable games since in his career. Has missed a good deal of the past few through different injuries.

Why anyone would sign him on a four year deal seems ridiculous though. At best a two year deal.

It is another Joe Galuvao deal waiting to happen...... wonder if Luke has any thoughts about joining the priesthood?

Lewis may not be rep quality these days but he certainly is still NRL quality. That's more than I can say for Germaine Paulson, Shannon Hegarty, etc at present.

yobbo84

Coach
Grail said:
He'll play 6, allowing Sutton to cement a position at 13. And meaning that all those nuffies at Souths like J Smith won't get a look in.

6. Lewis
7. Wing
13. Sutton

Doubt it. Long term the club would be looking at:

1. Merritt
2. Talanoa
3. Lewis
4. Gordon/Champion
5. Huihahau
6. Wing
7. Paea

mxlegend99

Referee
Grail said:
Well, I don't watch a lot of Panthers games, but when I have seen him play 6 he's done ok. Surely he can't be any worse than the crop of halves that the Bunnies have.
Oh he is definitely better then what they have used so far this year.

In all honesty, he should be playing either wing or lock. Most Panthers fans wanted to see him play lock for us this year. Not quiet sure where he will end up, Elliott intended him for 5/8, but with him leaving now, and with Maurice Blair doing such a good job i'd say he will consider him for another jersey.

I'll be filthy if he breaks up the Sammut/Blair combination.

The Colonel

Immortal
yobbo84 said:
Lewis may not be rep quality these days but he certainly is still NRL quality. That's more than I can say for Germaine Paulson, Shannon Hegarty, etc at present.

He may well be NRL quality but he certainly isn't worth a four year deal - that in itself is a rep quality deal. You sign Asotasi's, Folau's, Haynes etc to four year deals, not Luke Lewis's.

Grail

Juniors
yobbo84 said:
Doubt it. Long term the club would be looking at:

6. Wing
7. Paea

Watched the NYC the other day, Paea struggled in that.... how the hell can Souths consider him a long term proposition in the halves. He should have dominated that game, but he was out of his depth. The other half they had was much better.

The Colonel said:
He may well be NRL quality but he certainly isn't worth a four year deal - that in itself is a rep quality deal. You sign Asotasi's, Folau's, Haynes etc to four year deals, not Luke Lewis's.

On the contrary, I think its a good signing and the term is ideal. 24 - 29 is usually the peak age bracket for an NRL player so we are signing him for his best period. Centres / Wingers can usually go a bit past that i.e. Vagana, El Masri etc. With a long term deal he will not be thinking about anything other than playing football.

Grail said:
Watched the NYC the other day, Paea struggled in that.... how the hell can Souths consider him a long term proposition in the halves. He should have dominated that game, but he was out of his depth. The other half they had was much better.

He had an off game. If you would have watched him play for NSW under 19's last year you would see where Souths are coming from.

Azkatro

First Grade
Does anyone remember his round 5 game at Parramatta Stadium in 2006 when Gower got injured and the Panthers ran roughshod in the second half? It'd be nice to see Lewis play like that a bit more often.

The Colonel

Immortal
Different kind of Rabbit said:
On the contrary, I think its a good signing and the term is ideal. 24 - 29 is usually the peak age bracket for an NRL player so we are signing him for his best period. Centres / Wingers can usually go a bit past that i.e. Vagana, El Masri etc. With a long term deal he will not be thinking about anything other than playing football.

And the flip side of a long term deal is he may just be prepared to sit back and enjoy the money he's on.......

I don't think it is a bad signing by any means but I can guarantee the Dogs and Melbourne weren't placing four year deals on the table in front of him.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Grail said:

Sandow, in my opinion, is at least as talented. Paea did have a poor game, but I'm prepared to put that down to the disappointment of being dropped. He hauled arse a little.

The Colonel said:
And the flip side of a long term deal is he may just be prepared to sit back and enjoy the money he's on.......

I don't think it is a bad signing by any means but I can guarantee the Dogs and Melbourne weren't placing four year deals on the table in front of him.

I'm sure there are performance measures / bonuses and all sorts of things built into the contract to make sure this doesn't happen. God knows, the Company I work for has these sorts of things in place so I can't imagine that an NRL football team wouldn't do the same. If any team in the comp is just signing players up to a basic contract stating that they are paid x amount of dollars for y amount of years then they have rocks in their head.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i see it as a good signing for the bunnies, they really do lack outside backs! i wouldnt be surprised if they make plays for the morris twins or luke Rooney either.
I think Lewis can step up and be a quality player for you guys in the centres or on the wing.
not a 5/8

on the halves topic, Taylor needs to pick the halves and keep them there for a few games! he has chopped and changed every week

Black Majik

Juniors
Different kind of Rabbit said:

Yep...because a contract is a contract is a contract right!?;-)

A reported $300k per season...I bet he feels under more pressure to perform now more than ever!

melon....

Coach
Living proof that Souffs are the new transit lounge. next thing is theyll claim he is a local junior.

LOl@SOUFFS.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Callan Pk said:
Four years, penrith player

Souffs havent learnt anything.

I see another Joe Gullavao situation happening here, might be worth Lukey boy looking into enquiring about some new residential property in Queensland using his generous pay packet from souths.

Latest posts